The Partick Thistle thread

17 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Why are Partick playing behind closed doors when no one else is... yet

The statement doesn't say that they will be - it says that as of Monday they will likely be given the Scottish Government announcement today.

10 hours ago, jagfox99 said:
  2. From Monday until further notice, on the instruction of the Scottish Government, all games will effectively be played behind closed doors. 

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The statement doesn't say that they will be - it says that as of Monday they will likely be given the Scottish Government announcement today.

Yes it does. Theres no "likely" in that statement

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
47 minutes ago, Mr X said:
Yes it does. Theres no "likely" in that statement

But it's as of Monday, not right now.

I know that. But the SPFL havent made any decisions or announcements, other than to say they'll be talking about it.

Thats why I questioned why Thistle have come out with such a definitive statement all by themselves.

I know that. But the SPFL havent made any decisions or announcements, other than to say they'll be talking about it.
Thats why I questioned why Thistle have come out with such a definitive statement all by themselves.
Must have plenty cash to take this action cancel all match hospitality and fund events . IMO if the old firm wasn't playing Sunday then all game would be off

The Club's response to the crisis is proportionate and the likliehood of an indefinite suspension of all football is growing all the time. That's the correct approach. Football doesn't exist in a vacuum and clubs and the football authorities have to react to the situation. 

The economic impact of this crisis could be as significant as the health implications. 

Football clubs will be seriously at risk. The lack of cash flow, especially if the club was already struggling, could force some clubs under. 

The ones best equipped to deal with it might be those that have the largest number of players going out of contract at the end of May. 

Thistle were involved in not insignificant transfer activity in January with at least 2 players signed on 2 year contracts. 

I fear we might be more vulnerable that others. 

Hopefully not and my irrational response is just a bi-product of the whole 'end of the world' mood that is prevailing at present. It's all deeply unsettling. 

36 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:
1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Must have plenty cash to take this action cancel all match hospitality and fund events . IMO if the old firm wasn't playing Sunday then all game would be off

I think I heard a rumour that Thistle had come into a little bit of money

1 minute ago, John MacLean said:

The Club's response to the crisis is proportionate and the likliehood of an indefinite suspension of all football is growing all the time. That's the correct approach. Football doesn't exist in a vacuum and clubs and the football authorities have to react to the situation. 

The economic impact of this crisis could be as significant as the health implications. 

Football clubs will be seriously at risk. The lack of cash flow, especially if the club was already struggling, could force some clubs under. 

The ones best equipped to deal with it might be those that have the largest number of players going out of contract at the end of May. 

Thistle were involved in not insignificant transfer activity in January with at least 2 players signed on 2 year contracts. 

I fear we might be more vulnerable that others. 

Hopefully not and my irrational response is just a bi-product of the whole 'end of the world' mood that is prevailing at present. It's all deeply unsettling. 

Not questioning the appropriateness of the measures taken, just found it strange that they've gone rogue and announced a bunch of measures independently without waiting on the SPFL to make a decision.

Just now, Mr X said:

Not questioning the appropriateness of the measures taken, just found it strange that they've gone rogue and announced a bunch of measures independently without waiting on the SPFL to make a decision.

Could well make them look silly in the long-run, but does it really look that much of a stretch at this stage?  Don't find much wrong with what they said, particularly when it arguably should be the policy across football.  From the wording of the statement it sounds like we're not exactly keen to play tomorrow.

16 hours ago, Walter said:
21 hours ago, DougJamie said:
You also have them on the pitch and the dug out. Surprised its taken you that long to realise. Enjoy Cove next year 

Great. Another St Mirren supporting weirdo with excruciatingly shite patter. You on a job share with that Paul Cicero nutter?

Not at all, you're just such easy targets ………… Ian McColl :lol:

Now, I am certainly no fan of JLow and this pussy board, but I actually think they've shot the first salvo in this crisis, where quite frankly the authorities , including the government should have had a set of balls to act. But of course, it's the Scumbag derby this weekend. And the first minister wouldn't want to upset her Govan constituents.

All games off - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51858736

"The remainder of the Scottish football season has been postponed indefinitely over fears about the coronavirus, the SPFL has confirmed.

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said it was "neither realistic nor possible" to continue with games.

All Scottish fixtures will be suspended until further notice."

ETA - full SPFL  statement - https://spfl.co.uk/news/coronavirus-joint-response-group-update-46618

Edited by Bishop Briggs

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Now, I am certainly no fan of JLow and this pussy board, but I actually think they've shot the first salvo in this crisis, where quite frankly the authorities , including the government should have had a set of balls to act. But of course, it's the Scumbag derby this weekend. And the first minister wouldn't want to upset her Govan constituents.

You must be happy now. But there is one big issue to be resolved.

If the rest of the games are cancelled rather than postponed, logically relegations and promotions are cancelled too. 

But I would not trust Neil Doncaster to do the right thing.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

11 minutes ago, JudgeMudge said:

Presumably closed doors is off the table now. Apparently some clubs are relying on goodwill of ST holders not asking for refunds.

Asking for a season ticket refund in this situation would be a total embarrassment.