The Partick Thistle thread

42 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Begs the questions. How much are we paying our new boys after getting rid of some big earners and how much did we lay out to players that we cut short their contracts?

Suppose we'll never truly know but I can't imagine Miller (or Harkins for that matter) walked away from 6 months of guaranteed money at their age without a fairly handsome golden handshake. I'd be astounded if - in fact, we downright won't be - paying anyone anything like the money Miller or McDonald were on. But when spread across 8 new signings and the subsequent transfer fees for some of them, I suspect the pot will be well and truly dry.

23 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

Suppose we'll never truly know but I can't imagine Miller (or Harkins for that matter) walked away from 6 months of guaranteed money at their age without a fairly handsome golden handshake. I'd be astounded if - in fact, we downright won't be - paying anyone anything like the money Miller or McDonald were on. But when spread across 8 new signings and the subsequent transfer fees for some of them, I suspect the pot will be well and truly dry.

What were we paying miller and McDonald

1 hour ago, Armand 2 said:

Had the budget allowed, there's no question that McCall would have brought Doolan back; he said as much when he initially returned and I had heard the deal was done to come back as far back as October.

How could the deal be concrete if it was dependent on moving other players on?

It sounds like some of us have heard variations of the same story. I heard that McCall had expressed an interest in bringing him back if , and only if, he wasn't able to sign a couple of other players he was targeting.  But he got what he wanted.

Edited by Nizzy

40 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

There would be absolutely no benefit in bringing Doolan back unless it was solely in a coaching capacity. I suppose it could be used to appease the fans but McCall isn’t that type of guy I don’t think.

I think you’re missing the point.

Doolan is a good man. Doing anything that allows him to wind up at Cappielow is basically a crime against humanity. He doesn’t deserve that level of cruelty.

4 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I think you’re missing the point.

Doolan is a good man. Doing anything that allows him to wind up at Cappielow is basically a crime against humanity. He doesn’t deserve that level of cruelty.

It doesn't appear that was a queue forming to sign him. He might have been better going back to the juniors.

Edited by Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier

Aye Caldwell was right to let Dools go. His form seemed to drop off a cliff in a matter of a season. 

Piping hot form in the top 6 season, then some goals the following as we got relegated, and then being pretty poor in the second tier with no sign of rediscovering any sort of form (given his lack of involvement for Ayr also).

If he played for anyone else in the division I'd probably want him to rediscover his touch and bang in some goals, but I have a weird and inexplicable loathing of Morton and wouldn't mind seeing them relegated. So I'm a bit torn.

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Lads, recommended boozer for next Friday near the ground? 

Ground easy enough to get to via subway? 

Munn’s is the nearest pub to the ground (apart from the Aitken Suite which is in Firhill itself), and is mainly an away fan pub. I’ve never been in so no idea what it’s like.

St George’s X is the closest subway stop; it’s about 15 mins to the ground and the walk goes past the Woodside (good pub) and the Royalty (not a good pub, for reasons you can probably guess). There’s also Kelvinbridge subway where you can add an extra 5 mins or so to your walk up but it has loads of pubs around.

Edited by Nightmare

8 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Munn’s is the nearest pub to the ground (apart from the Aitken Suite which is in Firhill itself), and is mainly an away fan pub. I’ve never been in so no idea what it’s like.

St George’s X is the closest subway stop; it’s about 15 mins to the ground and the walk goes past the Woodside (good pub) and the Royalty (not a good pub, for reasons you can probably guess). There’s also Kelvinbridge subway where you can add an extra 5 mins or so to your walk up but it has loads of pubs around.

Much obliged good sir, looking forward to it. 

If he played for anyone else in the division I'd probably want him to rediscover his touch and bang in some goals, but I have a weird and inexplicable loathing of Morton and wouldn't mind seeing them relegated. So I'm a bit torn.

If Doolan's goals keep Morton up I'll be feeling very conflicted.

23 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

If Doolan's goals keep Morton up I'll be feeling very conflicted.

Well, if it's at our expense then that would be a particularly nightmarish way to go down...

It's fairly obvious that Doolan will be back as a coach at some point, so it's disappointing that it didn't happen now, meaning he'll be in a Morton shirt instead (of all things!).  He obviously feels he has more to offer, and maybe he's right.  His dip in form coincided with our complete disintegration as a team, although admittedly Ayr fans didn't seem impressed.  Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see him score a few for Morton.

I’d be interested to see Kris Doolan’s goals per minute played in the 2018-19 season compared directly against Kenny Miller’s in 2019-20.

Especially considering the likely wage difference between the two.

11 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I’d be interested to see Kris Doolan’s goals per minute played in the 2018-19 season compared directly against Kenny Miller’s in 2019-20.

Especially considering the likely wage difference between the two.

Going by transfermarkt...

Doolan: 39 games, 6 goals, 2 assists, 447 minutes a goal

Miller: 32 games, 10 goals, 1 assist, 267 minutes a goal

So undoubtedly, Miller did better based on the stats, but once you start to take into account the much bigger cost, then it's not really that much of an improvement.