The Partick Thistle thread

Just looking at the squad there and couple of things stood out.

We have 14 (including Sena and Lyons) signed up for next season and only really Mansell and Williamson of those might be let go in the summer. Hopefully we haven't been as stupid as to not put relegation wage reduction  / release clauses in after the fiasco of Barton / Keown / Storey a couple of years ago. 5 (Brownlie, O'Ware, Bannigan, Rudden, Graham) signed up for 2 more years.

Everyone McCall has signed with the exception of extending Cole's loan has been from a Scottish club.

1 minute ago, Midlife Crisis said:

100% correct decision to show McGinty the door. Can’t believe there are some fans sad to see him go and actually saying he was a good player. 

It's amazing what clapping the fans every week can do for you. 

Delighted to be rid of McGinty. He looked ok for a short period at the end of last season but has been absolutely garbage the rest of the time. Was comfortably the worst of the three terrible options we’ve had.

Slater going to Queens Park is a surprise, but I think they’re throwing around a fair bit of money at present.

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

Delighted to be rid of McGinty. He looked ok for a short period at the end of last season but has been absolutely garbage the rest of the time. Was comfortably the worst of the three terrible options we’ve had.

Slater going to Queens Park is a surprise, but I think they’re throwing around a fair bit of money at present.

I believe Queens are bankrolled by Willie Haughey. 

Took a slight liking towards Mcginty at the end of last season mostly because Anderson was talking him through games and to be honest their were few to actually like.

As said previously you will get a trier but he is not a CB in anyones lifetime.. 6'4, decent build and not actually the slowest or worst on the ball.

But .. ive seen Guys at 5ft be more effective challenging someone in fhe air for the ball than Mcginty and ive seen players built like a sheet of paper more aggressive.

No idea if their could be another position in a team for him but Hes certainly not what you think he could be when you look at him.

It doesn't sound good at all but I'm curious to know why he has played pretty much every game for you since he joined in the Summer of 2018?

If he was as bad as most fans make out, why was he continually selected by Archibald, Caldwell and then McCall?  If he was that pish, surely he would have been dropped and/or replaced during the 3 transfer windows he has been there. You must have had other options?

With Peter Grant this season for example, we thought we were signing someone decent, turned out he was pish, he was subsequently dropped and then left in the 1st transfer window available.

I'm not expecting much but Dunfermline fans laughed when we signed Ross Forbes and he was brilliant for us so we live in hope. He must be better than Grant.

26 minutes ago, madton said:

It doesn't sound good at all but I'm curious to know why he has played pretty much every game for you since he joined in the Summer of 2018?

If he was as bad as most fans make out, why was he continually selected by Archibald, Caldwell and then McCall?  If he was that pish, surely he would have been dropped and/or replaced during the 3 transfer windows he has been there. You must have had other options?

With Peter Grant this season for example, we thought we were signing someone decent, turned out he was pish, he was subsequently dropped and then left in the 1st transfer window available.

I'm not expecting much but Dunfermline fans laughed when we signed Ross Forbes and he was brilliant for us so we live in hope. He must be better than Grant.

We've already had 2 worse centre backs than Grant this season, and arguably a couple last season as well, so I'm not convinced at all by that.

McGinty performances against us don't give me any confidence that he'll be any better than Grant. 

17 minutes ago, madton said:

We didn't - O'Ware done his knee early last season meaning we were down to McGinty and Keown (and "high quality loan signing" Dan Jefferies).

Caldwell brought in Saunders and Anderson/shipped out Jefferies and Keown in January and whilst McGinty continued to play, there were times he was benched. I recall playing various formations under Caldwell too when we needed all three centre halves on the books playing.

This season, Caldwell thought having only three centre halves was sufficient and since McCall has come in, he's experimented with a back three - hence we've had little option but to play him.

38 minutes ago, madton said:

The main reason was that we didn't have anyone else.  Recruitment in summer 2018 was absolutely terrible, leaving us so short of players we couldn't fill the bench - and then O'Ware quickly got injured for the rest of the season.  So, McGinty played every week. As others have mentioned, he had a small upturn in form towards the end of the season (from 0/10 to 2.5/10) which kept him in the team at the start of this season, especially as Caldwell had spunked so much cash on his pal Kenny.

ETA - what Armand 2 just said...

Edited by VictorOnopko

59 minutes ago, madton said:

You’re right. We are all at it and he’s superb. You’ve got a real gem, and just wait until you see how well he claps the fans.