The Partick Thistle thread

49 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Heard he’s been in a bad way for a while now, so not surprising news.

I wonder how much he really knew about what was going on with this whole takeover & transfer of ownership to fans. Wouldn’t be surprising if it was his representatives (POAs?) pulling all the strings. Will also be interesting to see what the future holds with all of that now; if enough has been signed off for things to go ahead as planned, or if it’s back to the drawing board.

Firstly thoughts with the family, but you’ve touched on a very valid point.

Dependent on how far the transfer of both club and ground are, plus the families desire to follow Colin’s wishes to gift both club and ground to the fans, or own it themselves or sell it, this could get complicated. Especially if he’s not been in the best of health for a while and potentially his decisions could be challenged due to this.

7 minutes ago, thenolly said:

Firstly thoughts with the family, but you’ve touched on a very valid point.

Dependent on how far the transfer of both club and ground are, plus the families desire to follow Colin’s wishes to gift both club and ground to the fans, or own it themselves or sell it, this could get complicated. Especially if he’s not been in the best of health for a while and potentially his decisions could be challenged due to this.

Echoing this. I hope Colins’ legacy isn’t remembered for the inevitable power struggle shitshow we will now get. 

I really, really hope that this was just something horrible and sudden and that everything up to there was him making his own decisions. If someone else did, and now, like others have said, his legacy is going to be people fighting over the scraps, then that's obviously not the way it should have gone. He has clearly done a huge amount for us, and for other clubs, in a sensible, level-headed manner, whilst in a situation where it would've been easy to have done something frivolous. 

Fucking awful for the family, completely irrespective of what it means for us. 

Awful news,  only a few weeks after buying a controlling share in the club. Where it leaves us now is anyone’s guess but I would imagine 3 Black Cats will continue to run the club until the hand over in March. I saw him at the POTY awards in May. He was in a wheelchair and it was clear that his health was extremely poor. Sad way to end the year. RIP Colin!

15 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

I guess we've all dreamt at one time or other of winning the lottery. Colin Weir lived that dream.

If you look at many of his philanthropic activities you'll see the notion of community involvement and empowerment running through them.

Partick Thistle have much to thank him for. His financial involvement with the Club was never about short term gain but was motivated by a desire to safe guard the future of the Club. A hugely laudible intent.

His passing serves as a sad reminder that wealth doesn't guarantee good health.

Good Post. 

As many have said the guy lived a dream shared by many. Condolences to his family at this time, more so at this time of year, and you'd hope all the legalities of his wealth would have been well organised to avoid future wranglings. 

If only his ex had hung around a bit longer....... 🤔

Colin Weir done a lot of good, whether fans disliked those off the pitch that he associated with, we need to think of the bigger picture.

I remember some time ago being told by a friend who was then a volunteer at the club that Scottish Power were up at the club offices demanding we not use the floodlights for a pre-season friendly against Bristol Rovers because we were that fucked.

We went from that to finishing in the top six in the top flight and began a culture of youth development that we couldn't quite do for some time owing to the previous board's running up debts.

We owe our modern existence to Colin Weir.

Sad news indeed.

As many have said the guy lived what is seen as the dream and between him and his wife they contributed to numerous good causes across the country.

I hope his legacy will see Thistle safeguarded and in the hands of the fans rather than some fly by knight coming in and taking over. That is a noble cause and clearly was his wish so should be implemented.

8 years after winning all that money is too short though. Tragic.

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I genuinely felt a bit bad when one of my first thoughts were "That's a shite one for Partick", it's all sorts of sad he's only got 8? Years out of the fortune having grafted his life. What a fucking tragedy

Tragedy strikes as local man spends only eight years as multi-millionaire. 

Get a fucking grip.

Edited by Barry Ferguson's Hat