The Partick Thistle thread

10 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Into the fucking sun.

You strike me as living in a fantasy where Alan Archibald, Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine (who, like Archibald before him, was perfectly keen to sign for Dundee United when it suited his playing career, although you've said he has a "rightful place" at Firhill) are your best mates, knock out pleasant-enough 2-1 home wins against Hamilton and Ross County (but nothing more) and then go for pints with you afterwards.

Despite lots of evidence that it was no longer working. The last 18 months of Archibald's reign was absolutely dismal.

The only key argument for sacking Caldwell will be if results continue to be as bad in the league. Him allegedly being arrogant or unpleasant will be completely irrelevant as I'm assuming none of us are associating with him personally or working with him. People seem to be focusing mainly on his alleged personality, mainly those who see us as 'cuddly toy'.

We have only played 5 games and I'm prepared for him to get at least the same again to see what happens.

3 hours ago, milhouse said:

You strike me as living in a fantasy where Alan Archibald, Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine (who, like Archibald before him, was perfectly keen to sign for Dundee United when it suited his playing career, although you've said he has a "rightful place" at Firhill) are your best mates, knock out pleasant-enough 2-1 home wins against Hamilton and Ross County (but nothing more) and then go for pints with you afterwards.

Despite lots of evidence that it was no longer working. The last 18 months of Archibald's reign was absolutely dismal.

The only key argument for sacking Caldwell will be if results continue to be as bad in the league. Him allegedly being arrogant or unpleasant will be completely irrelevant as I'm assuming none of us are associating with him personally or working with him. People seem to be focusing mainly on his alleged personality, mainly those who see us as 'cuddly toy'.

We have only played 5 games and I'm prepared for him to get at least the same again to see what happens.

Would genuinely love to hear the reasoning behind giving him another 5 games.

He doesn’t deserve one more game, let alone 5.

I was quite happy to give him a chance, and unlike many others, don’t actually have much against him getting rid of Doolan and Erskine; a fresh start could have been a good thing. But after last season’s shambles, and now starting this one with two points from five very generous fixtures... nah, time’s up. He had his chance and he’s fucked it, because the reality of the situation is he’s just a really poor manager.

Caldwell as Thistle manager:

For:

Shipped out a massive amount of dross in January,  signed Scott McDonald (the one decision which saved both him and us last season).

Kept us up... on the last day of the season.

Against:

Albeit with a terrible squad inherited from AA, achieved pretty much zero prior to Christmas (no new manager bounce at all), starting with a long run of losses;

Emptied some of our better players (with zero class or respect shown) because they were long-serving, senior ones who might stand up to him;

Has made a terrible start to this season in an easy run of games;

Seems to have lost the dressing room based on how players are (not) responding to him on the field;

Seems to have lost board backing given that he is rumoured to have frozen out Bannigan but wasn't allowed to let him leave;

Has us playing nice side to side passes with almost no attacking threat beyond his 40-year-old pal who is unlikely to play the whole season without injury.

Has, throughout his reign, come across as delusional, and a complete bellend (this wouldn't be important if we weren't so bad on the park, and joint bottom of the league - again).

He looks just as out of ideas as his predecessor, with the extra twist that the players all seem to hate him too.  Will any football club employ him as a manager again?  Doubt it.

4 minutes ago, Jaggy-T said:

The jury's still out on Caldwell for me and I'm willing to give him more time. Once he got his own players in in January the run we had was relatively good in comparison to the rest of the league.

Looking at the games this season we were the better team against Ayr even with 10 men but no team could hold out with nine men for 40 minutes. The Dundee Utd game could have gone either way and a draw away to Alloa isn't bad in the wider scheme of things. The first half against Arbroath was woeful but we were the better side in the second half. It was the opposite against Morton. 

I believe the results will come but it needs everyone pulling in the same direction. My only concern is the constant rumours of un-rest with some of the players but I can only hope these are minor and once we get a couple of wins then everyone starts to believe too.

Hi Gary.

We weren’t the better team against Ayr with ten men (which was surely only about twenty minutes of the game anyway). We were just punting it to Zanatta, and he was doing well. I’ll accept the 9 men were mitigating circumstances, but even then there was some bizarre stuff from Caldwell (Mansell in at left back, for example)

And a draw at Alloa is a pretty shite result.

The only game (that I’ve seen) where we were the better team for the majority was the Morton game, and we still managed to completely f**k that up.

He needs to go ASAP. Like others, I don’t even really care that he got rid of Doolan and Erskine, but he’s clearly not good at his job. Get him to f**k

Results are what count, whatever you think of the manager. Our club doesn't have the resources to experiment and take many defeats while the manager finds his feet: that was tried with Campbell and Archibald, and the inevitable conclusions of their careers as manager were far too late, which was down to the board(s) being indecisive. Unless Caldwell puts together a run of wins pronto, he should be on his way.

1 hour ago, KelvindaleJag said:

Results are what count, whatever you think of the manager. Our club doesn't have the resources to experiment and take many defeats while the manager finds his feet: that was tried with Campbell and Archibald, and the inevitable conclusions of their careers as manager were far too late, which was down to the board(s) being indecisive. Unless Caldwell puts together a run of wins pronto, he should be on his way.

Correct.

Archibald was sacked because he only accrued 9 points from 8 games. Therefore, Caldwell must better that to stand a chance of survival. He must win the next three games.

39 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

Correct.

Archibald was sacked because he only accrued 9 points from 8 games. Therefore, Caldwell must better that to stand a chance of survival. He must win the next three games.

Immediately prior to those 8 games of course, Alan Archibald had got us relegated from the Premier League in a play off to a Championship side in one of the most disappointing performances I have ever seen from a Thistle team, which was of course preceded by one of the worst seasons I have ever seen; Adam Barton and Ryan Edwards at CM, Miles Storey, Danny Devine, Abdul Osman selling baseball caps et al.

17 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Immediately prior to those 8 games of course, Alan Archibald had got us relegated from the Premier League in a play off to a Championship side in one of the most disappointing performances I have ever seen from a Thistle team, which was of course preceded by one of the worst seasons I have ever seen; Adam Barton and Ryan Edwards at CM, Miles Storey, Danny Devine, Abdul Osman selling baseball caps et al.

Immediately prior to that, he kept us up for our longest run in umpteen years.  Immediately prior to that, the dinosaurs died out.  

We get it, you like Caldwell, but please stop.