The Partick Thistle thread

4 minutes ago, colliedug said:
1 hour ago, JudgeMudge said:
Thoughts on Alex Jones so far?

My personal thought is he will be a big player this season for he's getting stronger with every game and there's definitely a player in there. I hope he doesn't me wrong

His best game so far. An assist and a couple of decent efforts. When he gets off the mark he can go on to be our top scorer I reckon.

His best game so far. An assist and a couple of decent efforts. When he gets off the mark he can go on to be our top scorer I reckon.

Actually thought he was quite poor 1st half. Couldn’t hold on to the ball and when he did was easily dispossessed - but like the rest of the team was much better once Robson and Mansell came on.

On 06/08/2019 at 10:11, Nightmare said:

Blown way out of proportion, imo. Why do we need a bus to drive players (many of whom are based on the east coast) to Alloa?

I’ve seen some mention that we didn’t use a bus for close away games the last time we were in second tier. No idea if that’s true or not, but it seems logical enough. We also won the league that season...

Appreciate this is old news now but I've been away and just catching up.

Queen of the South haven't used a team bus for games South of Perth in about 15 years now! It's just pointless. Most of the players live in the Central belt anyway. It's financial lunacy to hire a bus to take half a dozen people from Dumfries at most and pick up the rest somewhere near the ground. Much easier for the players to go direct.

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Appreciate this is old news now but I've been away and just catching up.

Queen of the South haven't used a team bus for games South of Perth in about 15 years now! It's just pointless. Most of the players live in the Central belt anyway. It's financial lunacy to hire a bus to take half a dozen people from Dumfries at most and pick up the rest somewhere near the ground. Much easier for the players to go direct.

Is that true SD? I'm sure we used a team bus when Hibs,  Hearts and rangers were in the same division as us and they play South of Perth. I appreciate  the financial benefits of not hiring a team bus but players driving to games,  maybe getting stressed if held up by traffic or having an accident isn't the best preparation for a game. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Is that true SD? I'm sure we used a team bus when Hibs,  Hearts and rangers were in the same division as us and they play South of Perth. I appreciate  the financial benefits of not hiring a team bus but players driving to games,  maybe getting stressed if held up by traffic or having an accident isn't the best preparation for a game. 

They have buses in Dumfries?

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

We used a team bus for Hibs and Hearts as parking at the ground was an issue for players if they travelled separately. The bus started at the Edinburgh Park and Ride at Riccarton though. The players drove to Edinburgh themselves.

We didn't use a team bus for Rangers except for the Playoff game I think.

I see our first team is taking part in this City of Glasgow cup with Clyde, QP and the Old Firm colt teams.

Its a league format, so an extra 8 games for the cup apparently.

I get we'll likely mostly play guys who have been on the fringes and need a run out, but this idea sounds woeful.

If we are in promotion contention, or relegation fight for that matter, these extra games could massively impact our season. Not even just in terms of match time and risk of injury, but in the time needed to prepare and recover reducing training time.

A shite idea imo with the sole purpose of giving the beaks 2 extra Old Firm games to chug themselves over, even if it is the colt teams.

37 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I see our first team is taking part in this City of Glasgow cup with Clyde, QP and the Old Firm colt teams.

That has to be incorrect, surely?

Did Britton not mention this at one of the meet the manager nights (I wasn't there but saw it somewhere) as to part of the reason we're not in the reserve league. 

Presume this will be for the likes of Sena and Galasso with the odd first team player needing minutes and some u17s thrown in 

27 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

That has to be incorrect, surely?

16 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I believe it’s correct, but that the rules are relatively relaxed about what constitutes a “first team”.

Danny Lennon played himself for Clyde’s first team last night, for example.

Minimum of 6 recognised first team players from yourselves, us and Queens Park. 

Edited by C. Muir