The Partick Thistle thread

The training ground plans were a mess before the takeover and it appears one of the intentions of the article is to lay the blame for that at the door of the new board when anyone with eyes can see it was doomed long before Beattie and co came back. 

However I'd say Colin Weir is probably right to decide not to continue funding the  youth academy. Why would he pay for the development of players  for a billionaire to profit from his investment? It's an entirely different story when he knows that any profits will be reinvested back into the club. 

6 minutes ago, harry94 said:

The thing I've always been interested about with your takeover is how the authorities are going to handle it with the Barnsley connection?

I've noticed this mentioned before but kind of fobbed off as it's happened elsewhere but I can't recall an instance where this has come up in Scotland and I don't really think the SFA has a test case. Even if it's approved, it'd seem to me like it's quite possible for it to be a bit of a debacle in getting rubber stamped.

This will essentially be the test case other than the SFA previously limiting Mike Ashley to owning no more than 10% of Rangers' shares.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/1819/articles-of-association.pdf 

Article 13 is about dual interests in clubs and really all the rules show is that it's not allowed unless the SFA decide to allow it. I'd imagine 13.6 coming into play and if the SFA grant permission then it'll be with conditions regarding how Thistle and Barnsley co-operate or if we're even allowed to. 

14 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

However I'd say Colin Weir is probably right to decide not to continue funding the  youth academy. Why would he pay for the development of players  for a billionaire to profit from his investment? It's an entirely different story when he knows that any profits will be reinvested back into the club. 

Good on him for sniffing out a potential asset-stripper, IMO.

Blown way out of proportion, imo. Why do we need a bus to drive players (many of whom are based on the east coast) to Alloa?
I’ve seen some mention that we didn’t use a bus for close away games the last time we were in second tier. No idea if that’s true or not, but it seems logical enough. We also won the league that season...
It was the policy for a number of seasons, including the Championship winning season, not to run a team bus for fixtures relatively close to Glasgow. As I recall there was no team bus to Falkirk the day we won the league but my memory of that day is somewhat hazy to be fair.

The new policy may just be a reintroduction of that, it's the same Club Chair after all, and it might not be an indication of anything too untoward. But then again it might be. The uncertainty surrounding all aspects of the Club right now is far from helpful. We need some kind of resolution soon and move on from there no matter what that resolution is.

I'm bored with this. I think I'll just go to the games and avoid anything Thistle board related till it's finished. Once it's all finished we'll have us a board that'll budget according to our finances and we'll continue being a 1st division team that sometimes gets promoted. Some one light the bat signal when its done.

10 hours ago, Dr Koop said:

Good point, or they could be letting individuals hang themselves with their own rope.

It's one thing to not get involved in gossip but it's quite another to let falsehoods that damage the reputation of the club go unchallenged.

If they are indeed false, of course.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

That the club is a shambles behind the scenes is not news to any Thistle fan - the club's day-to-day running has been farcical for as long as I've been a supporter with a brief spell over the recent successful years (particularly the promotion season) where they threatened to be competent.

The club is in a pretty perilous situation (and has been for a long time) in that it has been dependent on the goodwill of Colin Weir to keep it going. I'm sure CW didn't envision having to continuously bankroll the academy; he probably thought that a player would come through (maybe a centre half...) who would move on for significant money which could have been used to fund the academy for another few years until another prospect arrived on the scene.

If CW has withdrawn his support on the back of Low's departure then fair enough, I don't have a problem with that. It doesn't detract from the support he's provided. He is well within his rights to want someone representing his interests on the board - and that's all that Low ever was; she wasn't here out of any affinity to the club (Thistle fan, my fucking hoop) nor did she possess any of the qualities to be in the position she found herself. 

The training ground was a dead duck the minute we were relegated - anyone with a half a brain in their nut knew that.

Not taking a bus to away games is vintage Thistle - stolen Albion Rovers' mentality as well as their strips.

Caldwell has a perfect chance to bail here and save face. I think it's fair to say there's still many questions over his managerial ability but nobody will remember that if leaves because his budget was frozen, certainly not after he's been on every medium possible to tell his story. Almost seems like an engineered campaign from a PR expert...

Edited by Armand 2

5 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

The team bus thing is just an embarrassing shambles (again, if true).  Remniscent of the story years ago about Aberdeen removing the kettle to save on electricity.

Sure it was a toaster regardless i reckon this will FEENEESH Caldwell and Kenny Miller will be in charge under the Chinese come crimbo.

6 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/statement-from-the-partick-thistle-board-of-directors/

Board statement out. Basically says the article was total shite regarding the playing budget, but doesn’t mention any of the other stuff.

It also mentions logistics which will include the team bus that some are getting far too upset about and refutes the claim about not aiming for promotion.

The only things not mentioned are the training ground which as the previous board were at pains to mention was being done by this Three Black Cats separate company and therefore is nothing to do with Beattie and whether Colin Weir is still involved. 

If you can let the players and manager know there is a McGills bus leaves Glasgow to Largs every 15 mins and stops at Cappielow on the way.

http://www.mcgillsbuses.co.uk/mcgills-bus-timetables/901-largs-to-glasgow-via-paisley.aspx 

Or if you boys have a whip round, you can hire ours for them. We will do you a good deal.

26 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/statement-from-the-partick-thistle-board-of-directors/

Board statement out. Basically says the article was total shite regarding the playing budget, but doesn’t mention any of the other stuff.

Right, stuff the negativity and  lets get some players in!!! Promotion is back on!

Edited by Sting777

4 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Good on him for sniffing out a potential asset-stripper, IMO.

Makes no sense for Lee & Conway to asset-strip Partick Thistle. Relatively speaking we're just too small-time for that to be worthwhile to businessmen worth as much as these guys.

4 hours ago, John MacLean said:

It was the policy for a number of seasons, including the Championship winning season, not to run a team bus for fixtures relatively close to Glasgow. As I recall there was no team bus to Falkirk the day we won the league but my memory of that day is somewhat hazy to be fair.

The new policy may just be a reintroduction of that, it's the same Club Chair after all, and it might not be an indication of anything too untoward. But then again it might be. The uncertainty surrounding all aspects of the Club right now is far from helpful. We need some kind of resolution soon and move on from there no matter what that resolution is.

If it is going to be the policy again going forward, I really don’t see why it’s such an issue. Of all the stuff going on right now, people choosing to get all frantic over our players having to make a 20-40 minute (depending on where they stay) drive themselves seems bizarre.

Quite happy that this new statement has rubbished the Herald report regarding the budget. As many have suggested already, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle and I’m not taking anything as gospel from either side - I’m sure there will be cost-cutting to try a fix the deficit we’ve (somehow) run up, but it’s good they’ve cleared up the nonsense about the budget being totally removed. Which I assume means more signings will be inbound when/if the takeover goes through.