The Partick Thistle thread

Losing the first goal last night was totally inept defensively and the Banzo one was bizarre, both probably due to a lack of communication. We are losing too many soft goals.

On the positive side, we seemed to be a bit better with the position of De Vita in the second half and Gordon seems to have the ability to time his runs into the box beautifully at times. The rest of his game needs a bit of work though.

I would describe us as a work in progress at present. 

Thought we were very good at points last night. Some of the usual suspects unwilling to give any sort of positive comment, probably because it doesn’t fit their agendas. Williamson is definitely a step up from Elliot and Shea Gordon will score double figures if he stays fit. Clearly a good bit to work on but I’m very encouraged by what I’ve seen and looking forward to the league campaign starting.

We've got release there is an element of preseason about these games too. We've had 3 differing starting formations in the last 3 games and varying starting line-ups.

Last night Di Vita started and Jones isn't still match sharp as he's not had a full preseason. 

Don't get me wrong, there is plenty to work on (set-pieces). However we've 10 days to the league campaign kicking off.

I guess you can put me down in the glass half full camp!

On 23/07/2019 at 13:01, Firhillista said:

Good going forward. Defensively suspect. Looks like he's lacking in confidence. Would hope to see him improve on what he's shown so far. Potential seems to be there, but time will tell.

On 23/07/2019 at 21:58, Reid said:

Pretty much what Dunfermline fans had told us. Looks good going forward and offers us width but his positioning seems to be all over the place.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

17 minutes ago, Maine said:

I like that Williamson can actually cross a ball.

Not with any pace, his end product while improved is still a relative weakness, gets in a great position so often but doesn't make it count enough. 

Based on limited viewing so far, his end product looks much better than Christie Elliott's.

Defensively, it's clear that he's not going to be particularly great, and I'm worried that him & Penrice/Robson are going to leave our CBs totally exposed. We're not exactly strong at CB in the first place either, so I can see us shipping a lot of goals this year.

Not going to make as many games as I'd like this year so actually contemplating signing up for Jagzone. Is it any good? 

The highlights are pretty good, the interviews aren’t particularly good. The live commentary is alright as well.

On balance it’s probably worth the 5.99 a month.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

You get an awful lot of “highlights”. Not saying it’s a bad thing, but how they managed to get 21 minutes worth of video for our 1-0 win v Airdrie I really don’t know.

TBH I don't mind if they do that. I think 20 mins the perfect length of a condensed game. 

The MAIN thing that does my head in as someone living abroad  is any highlight packages that tell you the score before you see the game. 

Does Jagzone hide all the scores?

dont think I'm making comparisons but williamson was playing exactly the same role on tues as SOD did on our championship season and as we all remember SOD's capabilities as a defender weren't the great so lets not be too critical yet

6 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

He's got such gangly legs that if someone turns him one way then another, he's completely exposed.

I think that’s  a good point maybe he stands off so he can run along side as he’s scared of getting turned?

He just doesn’t have the aggression needed that you see from the likes of tierney. The full back area is his area, it shouldn’t be left to someone else, he just drifts inside and away from the ball making the centre half go wide. No wonder Ashcroft went mental at him.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

He just doesn’t have the aggression needed that you see from the likes of tierney.

Are you talking about Tierney that plays for Celtic? The player thats going to cost £20m +? 

BIT of an unfair comparison...