The Partick Thistle thread

17 hours ago, Yambam said:

Heard last night that Doolan is off to Morton, Hopkins getting brought in as manager also. 

The Hopkin ( not Hopkins btw) rumour has been doing the rounds for awhile now and fully expect him to be announced this week. Would be amazed if its anyone else.

I would imagine he has been aware he is coming in for a few weeks now so i can potentially see an element of truth in it as he will no doubt be speaking to agents and players in the background before he is officially announced. Hopkin did sign Lee Miller for Livvy  so i can see the logic of him signing an experienced pro up front, especially if we are going with the experienced/younger players model. We will have Chris Millar and Jim McAlister too.

Personally not sure on Doolan  but the fact the vast majority of Thistle fans seem gutted can only be a good thing i guess if he does indeed come to us.

Edited by madton

14 minutes ago, Walter said:

If Jags fans are "gutted" then I expect it's for sentimental reasons only. I don't think many of us expected Doolan to be a regular started had he stayed.

Doolan still had a potential role to play as a squad player who can come on and score goals, as well as being a model pro, a coach, and an example to younger players.  It's not sentimentality to think this, even though he wasn't at his best last season. 

Doolan still had a potential role to play as a squad player who can come on and score goals, as well as being a model pro, a coach, and an example to younger players.  It's not sentimentality to think this, even though he wasn't at his best last season. 
...or the season before. Yes, he may well have been a useful squad player but then Christie Elliott would have been a useful squad player too and his departure has resulted in little depth of feeling.
As for a coaching role, you may have greater knowledge on the subject than I do but personally I have no idea if Doolan would make good coach or not.
I still believe the sadness at his departure is more down to the familial feelings we hold for him than anything else.

2 minutes ago, Walter said:

...or the season before. Yes, he may well have been a useful squad player but then Christie Elliott would have been a useful squad player too and his departure has resulted in little depth of feeling.
As for a coaching role, you may have greater knowledge on the subject than I do but personally I have no idea if Doolan would make good coach or not.
I still believe the sadness at his departure is more down to the familial feelings we hold for him than anything else.

Doolan scored 11 goals for Thistle in season 2017-18. That was only slightly below par for him, and in a rank rotten side.

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

Doolan scored 11 goals for Thistle in season 2017-18. That was only slightly below par for him, and in a rank rotten side.

Given that Doolan only got 20 starts last season and still scored 7 goals (it would be madness to ignore the one against Morton) his lack of form is being massively exaggerated. Add to that that most of those starts were in a dreadful side in the first half of the season and it clearly demonstrates he still has ability at this level. Caldwell is obviously entitled to make any decision he wishes but even putting sentimentality aside  completely, binning Doolan doesn't look like a smart move.

Also, nobody is too upset about the Elliott departure as he was offered a seven figure contract and not unceremoniously dumped. 

3 hours ago, madton said:

The Hopkin ( not Hopkins btw) rumour has been doing the rounds for awhile now and fully expect him to be announced this week. Would be amazed if its anyone else.

I would imagine he has been aware he is coming in for a few weeks now so i can potentially see an element of truth in it as he will no doubt be speaking to agents and players in the background before he is officially announced. Hopkin did sign Lee Miller for Livvy  so i can see the logic of him signing an experienced pro up front, especially if we are going with the experienced/younger players model. We will have Chris Millar and Jim McAlister too.

Personally not sure on Doolan  but the fact the vast majority of Thistle fans seem gutted can only be a good thing i guess if he does indeed come to us.

As i say i only heard it on saturday night, what i was told was Hopkin is going with 5 senior players and the rest made up of younger players. I believe your budget is going to be significantly reduced this coming season.

Edited by Yambam

2 hours ago, Yambam said:

As i say i only heard it on saturday night, what i was told was Hopkin is going with 5 senior players and the rest made up of younger players. I believe your budget is going to be significantly reduced this coming season.

Yeah certainly seems like the budget will be cut, doubt we will be alone in doing that!

1 hour ago, professor challenger said:

Was that not the season he scored four against Hamilton

No. It was the 2017-18 season. Like I said it was.

He scored six league goals, four cup goals and a goal in the play-offs.

11 goals.

He scored four in one game against Hamilton in the 2014-15 season. Had he not scored that day he would actually only have scored 6 goals that season in all competitions.

No doubt to be a contrarian you were calling for his head as “past it” when he was 28 too.

Edited by Ad Lib

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Anyone else one of the 'lucky' ones going to the Caldwell night on Wednesday?

Wasn't that arsed but since people have been knocked back for it I may as well make the effort.

Yip. Got the email this morning. Everybody I know that applied has got a ticket so wonder how realistic the waiting list quoted on the email is

3 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Anyone else one of the 'lucky' ones going to the Caldwell night on Wednesday?

Wasn't that arsed but since people have been knocked back for it I may as well make the effort.

I got mine today. I think I asked for a +1.

21 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Yip. Got the email this morning. Everybody I know that applied has got a ticket so wonder how realistic the waiting list quoted on the email is

I thought the same but there's a few on twitter who were told they're on a waiting list .