The Partick Thistle thread

34 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

0-2 down at home to Ayr and our fans are clapping Shankland like seals. Divert the supporters buses into the Irish Sea.

To be fair it would be nice to clap at football game at least once during the 90 mins. Our team gave us hee haw reason to.

0-2 down at home to Ayr and our fans are clapping Shankland like seals. Divert the supporters buses into the Irish Sea.

That was weird. No doubt it was an incredible strike but clapping a goal against your own team is weird.

What’s the situation with Bannigan atm? Me and a couple of mates were talking about him at the game and I was sure he’d signed a new deal but wasn’t sure as he wasn’t in the squad.

Is he still at Thistle?

That was abject as f**k today. Bar a spell of about 10 minutes at the start of the game where we passed the ball around nicely, we were atrocious.

Shea Gordon might as well not have turned up, bar two goals against Stenny, he has done absolutely nothing in these league cup games. Archie taking Slater (who was probably the only player who got pass marks today, for me) off instead of him was a properly baffling decision. Elliott was as bad today as I’ve ever seen him. Don’t think even he knows what was going through his head for that first goal. McGinty is this year’s Devine. Erskine and Spittal were anonymous. Storey is still never a winger in a million years, and Archie should be sacked for apparently being the last person on this planet to realise this. Doolan doesn’t look sharp at all.

We have scraped through what should have been a relatively straightforward group for a team who are (were) meant to be challenging for automatic promotion. Yet again, recruitment has been an absolute shambles. How anyone thinks releasing 10 first-team players and replacing them with 4 new ones is a good transfer strategy, I’ll never know.

Ayr won’t get a much easier game all season, but I was impressed with them. McCall has got them well-drilled, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they did a Livi this year. I’ll be banging money on Shankland to be top scorer in the league. Our supporters are fucking idiots for applauding his second goal today, though. Embarrassing.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

What’s the situation with Bannigan atm? Me and a couple of mates were talking about him at the game and I was sure he’d signed a new deal but wasn’t sure as he wasn’t in the squad.

Is he still at Thistle?

He was given a deal til the end of August to prove his fitness and is now injured again, which means he will be given another deal until the end of December to prove his fitness.

On holiday this week and next and not terribly disappointed about missing next week's game atm, just saw the goals on jagzone, couldn't force myself to watch the full highlights. Some black humour at the first goal, fucking hell. Second one is a cracking hit,  originally thought Bell was too far out, and he probably was, but there's still a good chance it goes in anyway.

Zero pre-season optimism left I'm afraid.

Junior thicko found.

Can’t be that thick can I? Said the other night after your win that yous weren’t good enough against a very inexperienced Albion side! Come the Saturday and yous get beat by Ayr at home! Fans of your team on this very forum saying you will not get promoted, things need to change etc! Aye I sound thick! If you can’t see your not good enough then your in for a long season [emoji23]

36 minutes ago, Midlife Crisis said:

Archibalds post match comments depressingly similar to last season. 

No doubt his fan club will be along shortly to tell us all how he has learned so much from last seasons disaster and everything will be okay.

Most worrying thing about today for me is none of our players really know what their job is.  The 4-2-3-1 pish is starting to really piss me off. 

Its all well and good if the players have the quality and energy to play that way but we don’t. We play tippy tippy football up to the box and none of our attacking midfield 3 have the fitness or positional sense to get back or put a tackle in to help the rest of the team. 

Having said that McGintys a liability. If you sign a 6,4 central defender that’s not very good on the ball your at least hoping that he’ll be a physical presence and maybe bully opposing strikers. I really don’t think he’s good enough unfortunately.

I would be absolutely astonished if Archibald steers this rabble into a play-off spot, never mind somehow achieving promotion out of a tough league.  Happy to be proved wrong, but I said at the time he should have had the decency to step down at the end of last season, which was an absolute shambles, as he looked completely out of ideas. 

Everything about him as a manager has long since become deeply depressing and frustrating - his (in-)ability to change a game, baffling substitutions, persistence with hugely out of form players, excuses and platitudes after the latest embarrassing loss, apparent inability to coach defenders, and generally shit signings which - again - look set to leave us with a weak as f*ck midfield with no fight or creativity.  Bossed at home by Ayr yesterday - this season could be a real slog.

Okay, so, for eejits like me cup qualification is all about #grim_arithmetic, rotten goal difference and the need for one team to leather another by about four goals.

What month is this? April? May?

There's a lot to be said of yesterday's performance, and how alarmingly similar it was to the playoff shambles despite being 8 signings into the window. I think there's a few fundamental issues with the team that will have to be addressed before we become a credible challenger for promotion.

- Chris Erskine. Watching him the last year or so is a bit like watching the arse end of Wayne Rooney's EPL career: one of the more technically gifted players in the league whose skill and effort isn't in doubt, but unless a suitable team is built entirely around him he's pretty ineffective and still played in spite of this. If we could find bombing full backs of the ATS/SOD variety  to open up space for him then great, but for the players we have now I think we're more suited to a 4-4-2 with him out the team.

- We badly need a couple of full backs. Max Melbourne is the only recognised one in the squad, and I'm only basing that on the OS's description of him. Penrice clearly isn't comfortable with the left back position: whilst he's a tidy enough footballer, he can't defend and doesn't have the energy to get up and down the pitch quickly enough. Elliott is a fucking donkey and we should've realised this a long time ago: if he's a full back then he's the only one I know thick enough to gallop towards his own goal with the ball. I suppose he's useful for getting up the park and winning the odd corner, but only because his crosses always hit the first man, regardless of the space he's in.

- We're still trying to play like the 2012/13 team. The only current players who I think could fit naturally into that kind of team are O'Ware, Slater, Erskine and Doolan. Maybe Penrice as a distributing midfielder, and McCarthy who hasn't been playing much. Everyone else just looks either too awkward or too one-dimensional trying to fit into a 4-2-3-1 - not least Storey who is working his arse off for no reward just now. Regardless of whether we persist with this approach we still need 4 or 5 first team standard players.

- (Bonus) Sean McGinty. I honestly think this guy wouldn't be playing football if he was 3 or 4 inches shorter. I've heard fans lauding his 'no nonsense', boot-the ball-to-nowhere approach: they, and McGinty, need to be fired directly into the sea immediately if we don't want to see another Danny Devine playing every week.

Some observations from our first 4 games,

Storer is not a footballer. We have to get rid of him, now. He is worse than a man down.

Penrice cannot play the attacking fullback role that I think Archibald wants him to do.

We need to rebuild Bannigan, and get him back in the team.

We desperately need a CB who can play a bit, a RB/RWB who can cross a ball, 2 creative midfielders and a striker who can score a few goals.

If we can get these players in, then we have a great chance of staying in this division next year.