The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Reid said:

Another brutal second half performance today. Not been impressed with McGinty or Gordon. Thought Slater was good. Seemed bizarre that he was subbed.

Archie with a confusing substitution? Well, I never.

Two home games in, and already has the feelings of a long, long season. Two home games against teams at our level, and all the evidence pointing to the fact that we learned fucking nothing from last year’s disaster. 

Had a great wee day out today with my wee boy in Partick :-). The game was good (sorry for the result not being in your favour.) had a wee walk along Byers Road and had a lovely meal. 

Definitely will be coming back the next time Ayr plays Partick away. Credit to the Partick fans who were talking to my Wee boy, who was dressed in Ayr colours. It just shows there's no aggression found at football games, despite being opposition fans :-) 

I thought Ayrs' front two were pretty good. Other than that I didn't think there was much between the teams. First goal a brainfart,second goal a wonder strike. Thought Slater was Thistles best player till his substitution. A very strange decision unless he took a knock. 

First time I’ve seen as this season. This Thistle looks like every other Archibald side since 2012/13 and shouldn’t be in danger of getting promoted. Badly organised defence, no grit in midfield, bland players like Spittal, Gordon, Slater.

10 minutes ago, Socceroony said:

Thought Slater was Thistles best player

He was a fantastic player today and I don't understand why he was subbed either. Its early days yet and I'm sure Partick will be challenging for promotion. 

Need 5 players minimum to even have a chance of the playoffs!

Our defence looks a lot worse off without O’Ware.

Midfields constantly all over the place. Really need a bit of experience to organise us when lose the ball.

Penrice still looks like he’s not allowed to go too far up the park or he’s too worried to.

Storey put a good shift in and at least tried to have a run at Ayrs defence. The header he missed was a sitter.

Fitzpatrick looks handy I’d like to see him on from the start in place of Spittal who offers absolutely fuckawl going forward.

Our Attacking midfield 3 constantly switching through out the game actually seems to cause more confusion to us when we lose the ball. 

That was a shite day and it’s gonna be a long hard season unless we get players in pronto.

1 hour ago, spud4 said:

Told yous the other night that yous should be worried after watching the Albion Rovers game! Yous then preceded to tell me that yous are winning games and yous happy! When in reality if yous want out the champions yous will need to strengthen by a considerable margin! Yous should be worried because yous are pish!

Junior thicko found.

I thought Ayrs' front two were pretty good. Other than that I didn't think there was much between the teams. First goal a brainfart,second goal a wonder strike. Thought Slater was Thistles best player till his substitution. A very strange decision unless he took a knock. 

I thought Slater was pretty poor and that Thistles main issue was trying to play nice passing footballers without actually having many players like that in the team. Storey flatters to deceive in that he’s very quick but one he gets into the final third he’s got absolutely no idea what to do with it.

2 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

Need 5 players minimum to even have a chance of the playoffs!

Our defence looks a lot worse off without O’Ware.

Midfields constantly all over the place. Really need a bit of experience to organise us when lose the ball.

Penrice still looks like he’s not allowed to go too far up the park or he’s too worried to.

Storey put a good shift in and at least tried to have a run at Ayrs defence. The header he missed was a sitter.

Fitzpatrick looks handy I’d like to see him on from the start in place of Spittal who offers absolutely fuckawl going forward.

Our Attacking midfield 3 constantly switching through out the game actually seems to cause more confusion to us when we lose the ball. 

That was a shite day and it’s gonna be a long hard season unless we get players in pronto.

Ayr have the whole team from last season and have already gelled. By the looks of it, Partick just need a couple of weeks to gel together and work out what the best approach is. I have no doubt whatsoever that Partick will be in the top four by the end of the season. 

Archibald needs to get to f**k. He should've went long before the end of last season, he should've gone at the end of last season and now we're going into this season absolutely nothing has changed.  We're about mid-table in the Championship as things stand I reckon and I am fine with that tbh. What I'm not fine with is ending up there after someone else having to rescue a disaster of a start which seems utterly inevitable.

Out of the signings so far you can tell already McGinty is a carthorse, Gordon  is completely ineffective and has done f**k all since the 10th minute of the Stenhousemuir game, Storer is a red card waiting to happen as he's an absolute man child who can't take any sort of criticism or being wound up, Bell is a meh and Slater seems tidy enough.

I'd have Fitzpatrick in ahead of Spittal next week. He should have been first out the door.  Totally spineless and bland as said above.

Elliott is basically turning into Storey at right back imo. Fast, but nothing else, brainless and no technique.  Getting worried about Doolan too, I suspect he'll still score now and again but hes been absolutely anonymous lately for me, even when we've played weaker opposition.  

To be honest, I think our best player is our goalie. We're a shambles outfield. Gordon and McGinty aren't anywhere near good enough, McGinty looks like a junior player, ability and physique wise, Danny Devine plus six inches. I'd worry about Storer especially in a crap team where you can't channel him positively.  Our central midfield going into the start of the season is basically Slater, McCarthy and Gordon.  Thats beyond lightweight.  Bannigan might as well be deed at this point.

Our whole signing policy has been a scatter gun shambles.  Diddies in on trial, guys dug up from non league dross down south and kids in on loan expected to be key players at this level in a team aiming to be promoted. We missed a trick bringing in someone like Chris Millar or even bringing back Paton. It'll be panic signings now with most decent targets signed up elsewhere. 

Edited by Firhill_Basin

40 minutes ago, Firhill_Basin said:

Our whole signing policy has been a scatter gun shambles.  Diddies in on trial, guys dug up from non league dross down south and kids in on loan expected to be key players at this level in a team aiming to be promoted. We missed a trick bringing in someone like Chris Millar or even bringing back Paton. It'll be panic signings now with most decent targets signed up elsewhere. 

This in spades.

Thanks for articulating it so succinctly.

That was pish. Disappointingly similar to last year in terms of passing it sideways with no urgency, too many touches, and running with the ball towards another player who just stands there waiting until they pass or run into each other before passing it backwards again. Incredibly frustrating as it is, booing and heckling probably isn’t going to help the team’s confidence. We started well but confidence was fucked after Christie’s inexplicable run towards goal. Not much could be done about the second. Would be good to see Fitzpatrick start instead of spittal next week. I’m optimistic that if we don’t make silly mistakes next week’s result will be more positive.

14 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

0-2 down at home to Ayr and our fans are clapping Shankland like seals. Divert the supporters buses into the Irish Sea.

Nah, that goal deserved to be applauded by everyone in attendance, worth double the gate price on it's own it's only the halfwits that think it's wrong to cheer class when you see it.