The Partick Thistle thread

We've been in this position before. But this feels different. Lack of fight, lack of belief, lack of talent is obvious this season.

The only way we don't finish bottom is if someone like Hamilton, Dundee or County completely shit themselves for the rest of the season. And even then we'd probably lose to fucking dross like St Mirren in the playoffs.

We’re an absolute mess at the moment.

I’d say we have the worst centre half and central midfield pairings in the league at the moment. We’ve been without a proper left back for about two months. Cerny has been an abomination the last two games. Spittal has regressed massively, and just shoves the ball straight back to Turnbull whenever he receives it.

Our only hope is to get to the winter break with the gap being no bigger than it is currently. Hopefully Woods is now fit enough that we can break up the shit show of Barton/Edwards.

I can’t tell if the performances are down to a lack of confidence/not caring. Archie has undoubtedly made mistakes but I don’t think he could have expected signings like Keown to have been so disastrous.

We need a Lee Mair style signing to steady the ship back there. I’d potentially play whoever that is with Turnbull, drop the Chuckle brothers in the middle and then Penrice will hopefully save the day at full back in the new year.

Didn’t even think Killie were that great yesterday, but having a solid spine to their team made all the difference.

Yesterday’s defeat should be seen as a watershed moment. We’ve been terrible all season, but that was beyond disgraceful.

Any other club would get rid of their manager but we’ll just plod along as normal, being the cuddly wee club we are.

22 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Yesterday’s defeat should be seen as a watershed moment. We’ve been terrible all season, but that was beyond disgraceful.

Any other club would get rid of their manager but we’ll just plod along as normal, being the cuddly wee club we are.

I feel the board have missed the boat in the timing of making a change of manager. Towards the start of the season (Kilmarnock, Ross County) or towards the end of the season ( Motherwell last season) appear to be the best times to act in a decisive matter.

I’ve no idea who we’d even go for, or more to the point who’d want to come when our top flight status are looking increasingly doubtful with each passing match. Would we even get a new manager bounce with the current squad available?

All that doesn’t mean that the board have to take serious stock of the situation at hand. From my point of view I’ll give him the next two games and see if we can get closer to the pack with the players showing a bit of fight for theirs and their boss’s future at Firhill.

Where did it all go wrong?

Edited by jagfox99

When you see from Facebook the amount of punters that still thinks Archie walks on water I can’t see the board taking the difficult route when the majority still want him to continue.

A truly baffling state of affairs.

I don't think there's any point in sacking Archie. He's having a terrible time right now but I have absolutely no faith in the board to replace him with someone better - we don't have it in us to pull out a Steve Clarke or even Owen Coyle kind of name, and we'd most likely end up with some huddy like Gus MacPherson in the dugout.

I don't think we'll ever sack him, anyway. He might walk, but him & Canning are untouchable in this league. Whether that's right or wrong, I don't really know.

5 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

When you see from Facebook the amount of punters that still thinks Archie walks on water I can’t see the board taking the difficult route when the majority still want him to continue.

A truly baffling state of affairs.

He’s still a legend and he always will be, but ultimately he’s failing in his job just now.

No one is bigger than the club.

"The defending as a whole this season has been comical at times."

I'm not sure anyone who follows Thistle finds anything comical in that. Neither is that the statement you want to hear from one of your team's best defenders in years whose players can't keep drunks out of a close.

56 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

You can just picture Maxy and Beattie sitting there smugly saying look at how great Thistle are setting the trend and not sacking their manager.

Oh and by the way, before some c**t gibs the line "who could replace Archie????" I sat down for 5 minutes there and looked at the list of Scottish managers alone who would probably could make a case for the job in some way, or another.

Jim Duffy - Got Morton promoted at the first attempt, made a national cup semi-final, stabilised the club in the Championship. Reinvented himself definitely.

Jack Ross - Kept St. Mirren up, has them challenging and left Alloa in a strong position.

Stephen Aitken - Done great at clubs with tiny budgets in Stranraer and Dumbarton.

David Hopkin - Was relegated in half a season, but won the league at a canter and will probably make the play-offs in his first season back.

Jim McIntyre - Won a cup at Ross County, was doing reasonable, sacked for less than Archie is currently doing.

My point is, you can pick faults in any individual candidate up against Archie, but to say if the manager leaves that no one could do a better job is just lazy as f**k.

Edited by Snakebite

24 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

I feel the board have missed the boat in the timing of making a change of manager. Towards the start of the season (Kilmarnock, Ross County) or towards the end of the season ( Motherwell last season) appear to be the best times to act in a decisive matter.

I’ve no idea who we’d even go for, or more to the point who’d want to come when our top flight status are looking increasingly doubtful with each passing match. Would we even get a new manager bounce with the current squad available?

All that doesn’t mean that the board have to take serious stock of the situation at hand. From my point of view I’ll give him the next two games and see if we can get closer to the pack with the players showing a bit of fight for theirs and their boss’s future at Firhill.

Where did it all go wrong?

It was a 5-1 defeat to Dundee (Dundee FFS!) with an absolute shitshow of a side that ultimately finished McGhee but in fairness it had been in the post since his public meltdown after the Scottish Cup loss at Ibrox, his contract was up at the end of the season and the club apparently hadn't had any discussions with him about extending. In February we lost all 4 games with a 17-3 aggregate against, so aye...that sort of form will lose you your job.

The fact that McGhee was a largely divisive character at Fir Park probably meant results just added momentum to the #mcgheeout thing. For what it's worth we sacked Baraclough after 8 league games the season before after being papped out the LC cup by Morton and went on to finish 5th after picking up some form in December and the run in to the split so we've emptied managers towards the start and end of the season recently.

In both cases it was clear that something needed done and taking action when we did just seemed like a natural conclusion.

From an outsider's point of view there doesn't seem to be the same sort of feeling towards Archibald though. Still seems very much to be #inarchiewetrust.

Oh and by the way, before some c**t gibs the line "who could replace Archie????" I sat down for 5 minutes there and looked at the list of Scottish managers alone who would probably could make a case for the job in some way, or another.
Jim Duffy - Got Morton promoted at the first attempt, made a national cup semi-final, stabilised the club in the Championship. Reinvented himself definitely.
Jack Ross - Kept St. Mirren up, has them challenging and left Alloa in a strong position.
Stephen Aitken - Done great at clubs with tiny budgets in Stranraer and Dumbarton.
David Hopkin - Was relegated in half a season, but won the league at a canter and will probably make the play-offs in his first season back.
Jim McIntyre - Won a cup at Ross County, was doing reasonable, sacked for less than Archie is currently doing.
My point is, you can pick faults in any individual candidate up against Archie, but to say if the manager leaves that no one could do a better job is just lazy as f**k.

Maybe just me, but I'd rather let Archibald relegate my club and learn from those mistakes, than hire Jim Duffy

Fortunately missed yesterday but when I saw the team line up that fake Einstein quote about the definition of insanity being doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results came to mind. 

Playing barton and Edwards again as the centre midfield  is borderline negligence. Fraser has been in the squad for over a month, surely he's up to speed now? If not, why has he not been playing in the development league games? 

My own view on changing the manager has been pretty consistent since the start of our third season when we had our first properly dreadful start. If we're 10 plus points behind at new year, then change it and give the new guy January to assess the squad and either perform a miracle escape or prepare as best as possible for the championship. With a loss at dens I think this becomes a reasonable possibility. 

Although I'm torn between thinking he's earned more than enough credit to at least get the January window and thinking this looks worse than any of the last 2 seasons. yesterday for me was bar none the worst result since promotion, getting dicked off celtic or against Aberdeen when the players are already on their holidays is one thing, but 5-1 off a team 4 points above you who hadn't won at home in months in a crucial game is another.