The Partick Thistle thread

I don't think its out of whack to say that Kevin Nisbet might well be one of the worst strikers we've ever had.

We need a couple of players, I don't think we're suddenly going to be cosy with one striker in. Depth at the wide positions too for me. I'd get Booth out, hes a sieve defensively, even if it means sticking in Penrice whilst hes still raw. Best find out how ready he is before the window shuts. 

Although it could be good in that it'll kind of force the hand of management in getting forwards in, it could just as well be a bad thing in that we just get anyone in, rather than getting the right player.  Especially given our history with forwards in particular.  Hopefully we already had targets in mind, and this will just expedite things.

36 minutes ago, Red 'N Yellow said:

I have no problem with waiting in order to get a better quality striker in, no point in rushing it and being stuck with a diddy all season. That being said, Nisbet was proper shit today, barely bothered putting in any effort.

While Nisbet was pretty awful I was more disappointed with some our more experienced players such as captain Osman, bannigan and Barton whose wayward passing was ridiculous 

Nisbet is obviously out his depth in this league. HOWEVER, I can't blame him in this situation. It's not his fault we let Azeez leave and have not made any striker replacements.

I feel sorry for him to a degree as he has even more pressure on him now but I can see us 3 years from now hearing "this will be the year Nisbet grabs that opportunity"..

If you like awkward moments and have Jagzone - at the end of Archie's match reaction, Michael brings up striker recruitment. He could have worded it better (shouldn't have asked to begin with tbh since its a match analysis clip) but it really pissed off Archie and his response/rant came across as a "don't tell me how to do my job" type of f**k off.

4 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Wur doomed

How can you be so pessimistic, it's only the first game if we had had some more players fit like Turnbull, Spittal, Dumbuya etc. then we would have got a much better result and if Archie plays the right set up then this season we'll be at least 7th, a back 4 just doesn't work with the defenders we have as our full backs are usually very high up the pitch and we lose a lot of goals from this flaw in the system. IMO if we played a 3 at the back it would allow Booth and Elliott to bomb up the pitch as usual without putting too much pressure on the defence as they will have an extra man to deal with any counter attacks. 
My Shearer type analysis!

Nisbet is obviously out his depth in this league. HOWEVER, I can't blame him in this situation. It's not his fault we let Azeez leave and have not made any striker replacements.

I feel sorry for him to a degree as he has even more pressure on him now but I can see us 3 years from now hearing "this will be the year Nisbet grabs that opportunity"..

If you like awkward moments and have Jagzone - at the end of Archie's match reaction, Michael brings up striker recruitment. He could have worded it better (shouldn't have asked to begin with tbh since its a match analysis clip) but it really pissed off Archie and his response/rant came across as a "don't tell me how to do my job" type of f**k off.

A fair question to ask IMO, and one that everyone and their granny's asking.

If we don't sign another striker and wing it with what we've got then we're clearly in bother.

11 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

A fair question to ask IMO, and one that everyone and their granny's asking.

If we don't sign another striker and wing it with what we've got then we're clearly in bother.

If Michael is asking him about it 1-2 times a week then fine. But as Archie pointed out, he is being asked this everyday so not a great surprise he is going to be ratty after a defeat and not making progress with signing targets.

What did Archie actually say?

Michael asked him how it was going regards a striker. Archie said " You ask me that every day. We haven't got our first targets so we move on" But the look from Archie could've killed. He also said he wasn't happy with the referee's performance. Michael also mentioned a possible penalty for us. Archie says he didn't see it, but you are never going to get them here. It's probably the angrier I've seen him.

Still think Archie made the right decision signing Blair Spittal and in selling Azeez, but we do lack pace and power to mix it up with Azeez and Amoo away, despite the latter being a useless shitebag most of the time.

In an ideal world I'd like us to sign two strikers - a pacy one like Miles Storey and a target man like Brian Graham - and then another attacking midfielder(whether that's an attacking midfielder or winger). We might end up having to settle for just one striker. If they're even just a tiny bit better than Azeez then I would accept that as Azeez was alright.

I think unless we sign something a bit different then we'll rely a lot on scoring perfect goals like the first one against Hibs, which is not ideal. But we were okay yesterday, and I think most teams bar Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen would have lost that, so it's not the end of the world.

I understand that the transfer window is open for another 3 and bit weeks but the lack of depth yesterday was pretty apparent when you looked at the subs bench- 2 senior defenders and 4 weans- I was thinking beforehand that if we were chasing the game we had nothing to change it. Of course Doolan going off was an absolute nightmare scenario and I held out very little hope for us after that point.

I think 3 more in is a bit optimistic, although if Doolan's injury is bad then we might need 2 strikers and another attacking midfielder rather than the just one striker. We're also going to have to work out the best way to use Osman, Bannigan, and Barton in the same team fairly sharpish.

Can McLaughlin play as a lone striker? I know he's short but he's quite quick from what I've seen of him, and if Doolan is out for Tuesday and we've brought no one else in - I'd maybe give him a shot. Nisbet definitely just isn't good enough unfortunately. Otherwise you're looking at sticking Erskine furthest forward.