The Partick Thistle thread

5 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

Would never take a relegation for a cup win, me personally.

Why not?

In 30 years time, nobody is going to remember that we spent a bunch of years in the top flight. Whereas if we win a cup it's on our honours list forever and people be reminiscing over that for a long time. Look at the way we still bang on about 1971.

Plus, we were relegated we'd be able to bounce back. Which there's even more chance of now that the playoffs are in place.

I'd take back to back relegations if we won a cup.

Penrice is a left back?

He's played at centre half a couple of times in the closed door games. Looks like he's playing there tonight as well. Potentially a back three with wingbacks? Or Barton has been moved into the middle with Edwards further forward.

Why not?
In 30 years time, nobody is going to remember that we spent a bunch of years in the top flight. Whereas if we win a cup it's on our honours list forever and people be reminiscing over that for a long time. Look at the way we still bang on about 1971.
Plus, we were relegated we'd be able to bounce back. Which there's even more chance of now that the playoffs are in place.
I'd take back to back relegations if we won a cup.

No guarantee we would bounce back. Hibs, Dundee Utd recently. St.Mirren? I'd much prefer to keep our top flight status than win a cup, if that was the option.

11 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

He's played at centre half a couple of times in the closed door games. Looks like he's playing there tonight as well. Potentially a back three with wingbacks? Or Barton has been moved into the middle with Edwards further forward.

I think it's a 4-2-3-1 with Penrice at CB.

If it was the 3 CBs and wingbacks, it would mean two of Erskine, Lawless or Spittal playing at CM alongside Edwards. Not outwith the realms of possibility I suppose, but unlikely.

Edited by Nightmare

1 minute ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

No guarantee we would bounce back. Hibs, Dundee Utd recently. St.Mirren? I'd much prefer to keep our top flight status than win a cup, if that was the option.

Don't need to bounce back immediately. Maybe try asking some Hibs fans if they'd rather have went down for 3 years, won the cup then came back up or slithered about between 6th and 9th for the last 3 years while not making any progress in the cup.

I'd take a Scottish Cup win for relegation at a push.
Not so much the Bet Fred Cup. Bit of a Diddy cup now especially without the European place.

Only because the media keep telling us it's a Diddy cup. If the media talked it up, perception would be different.

Id love to see us lift a Cup. League Cup or Scottish Cup. I don't care.

Just now, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

Doesn't have to be immediately bouncing back.

As I said, nobody in 2050 is going to look back, fondly remembering that time we spent a bunch of years as a mid-table club in the top flight. You remember the successes. And ours have been so few & far between, I'd quite happily take another one for a few years of suffering after it. At least we'll then always have it.

Don't need to bounce back immediately. Maybe try asking some Hibs fans if they'd rather have went down for 3 years, won the cup then came back up or slithered about between 6th and 9th for the last 3 years while not making any progress in the cup.

We aren't the size of Hibs who probably have the more resources to survive a few seasons down there. We've seen a few occasions when we go down it becomes a long stretch and near death
The Wir cash won't be there forever.

We aren't the size of Hibs who probably have the more resources to survive a few seasons down there. We've seen a few occasions when we go down it becomes a long stretch and near death
The Wir cash won't be there forever.

I'd take scrabbling about with nonsense like Selkirk, BSC and Clyde for a few years to win the Scottish cup tbh.

And plays CB. Pay attention Jagfox[emoji4]

Never a centre back, shoe horned in bounce matches doesn't count [emoji56] [emoji211] [emoji211] [emoji211]

2 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

I don't usually post here (happy lurker) so forgive me butting-in but.....

My old Dad was born in 1921,watched Thistle all his.life.  I was born in 1953 and started going to Firhill when I was about 6-7. The only trophy Thistle have won in both our lifetimes was on 23rd of October 1971 - the day I got married, so we both missed it. He died a few years ago, never saw us lift a major trophy. I'm 64, so I'm getting worried.

I get what you're saying HM,  But for me I'm pretty sure a big cup win would be one of the greatest days in my life.

8 minutes ago, black sapper said:

I don't usually post here (happy lurker) so forgive me butting-in but.....

My old Dad was born in 1921,watched Thistle all his.life.  I was born in 1953 and started going to Firhill when I was about 6-7. The only trophy Thistle have won in both our lifetimes was on 23rd of October 1971 - the day I got married, so we both missed it. He died a few years ago, never saw us lift a major trophy. I'm 64, so I'm getting worried.

I get what you're saying HM,  But for me I'm pretty sure a big cup win would be one of the greatest days in my life.

Of course a cup win would be a great day,but in swapping for relegation I wouldn't take it.

19 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

Of course a cup win would be a great day,but in swapping for relegation I wouldn't take it.

But why not? Why would you choose remaining in the league (a decent achievement, nothing more) over an actual honour that would be remembered forever?

Can't understand the logic at all.

12 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

But why not? Why would you choose remaining in the league (a decent achievement, nothing more) over an actual honour that would be remembered forever?

Can't understand the logic at all.

I'd prefer long term future to a cup win and relegation and an uncertain future.