The Partick Thistle thread

Amoo might find himself squeezed out this season if we persist with 3-5-2 as there's no room for out and out wingers, and there's no chance he's good enough defensively to play wing back and I don't think CF suits him either. Same goes for McDaid although it's hard to argue he's shown enough to date -for comparison he's a month younger than Lindsay -to be kept on even in his preferred position. 

Obviously this can change massively over the course of the season, we might all be crying out for Welsh to stay come April...

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Amoo might find himself squeezed out this season if we persist with 3-5-2 as there's no room for out and out wingers, and there's no chance he's good enough defensively to play wing back and I don't think CF suits him either. Same goes for McDaid although it's hard to argue he's shown enough to date -for comparison he's a month younger than Lindsay -to be kept on even in his preferred position. 

Obviously this can change massively over the course of the season, we might all be crying out for Welsh to stay come April...

Lawless may have the same issue, actually. He's not an out-and-out winger, but his role as a wide player who drifts inside is generally just about as useful as Amoo's in this setup (pretty much non-existent). Yes, he could play centrally as the advanced player of the 3 CMs, but Erskine is more suited to that position, imo.

Edited by Nightmare

The change of system very clearly gets more out of a number of players that would not normally be first picks. It's a credit to Archie for picking-up on that and being prepared to make the change, albeit injuries have at times forced his hand.

Elliott, Azeez and Devine look better when playing in a 5-3-2 than they do in the 4-2-3-1. Part of that is that Barton frees the conventional centre-halves to patrol much more of the space in front of them and there's less confusion between Devine and Lindsay about who's responsible for balls through the middle. It also naturally pushes them a bit wider, which you could see even in the Ross County game makes the opposition trying to play around us much harder. It gives the wing-backs a lot of freedom to be more offensive, as Osman can still drop back if the three in the middle don't, and although you're sacrificing the more overt width further up the park that's compensated for by having more bodies in the middle to link everything up.

If my memory serves me correctly, we abandoned the 5-3-2/3-5-2 system shortly before Bannigan emerged into our first team. I would be interested, if we persist with this formation, to see how he does, either as the anchoring midfielder or as one of the more free-roaming ones. The player that probably least suits this system is actually Lawless, and I can see him not getting much game-time if it proves more effective long-term.

Vital six points in the last few days. If we can take something from the next difficult handful we should be okay.

Barton makes a difference with the 3 at the back, we saw what a calamity it was last year at Tannadice with Frans, Seaborne, and Lindsay all of whom can only kick it the way they're facing. Also if Elliott or Booth get injured then I don't fancy it as much with Gordon as one of the wing backs.

Wasn't there today but seems as if Saints played into it with 2 up front again, so every time we've played it has been against a front 2, which is ideal for a 3-5-2. I'm guessing Aberdeen will have Rooney up front with McGinn / Maddison / Hayes behind next week which will mean we don't get the extra man in midfield.

Maybe better for the match thread but did Erskine / Amoo just go straight swap with Doolan and Azeez or was there a change when they came on?

4 hours ago, Pride_of_the_Clyde said:

What is being built at Firhill Stadium on the grass bank?

Storage space for all the planning applications for that end of the ground and a lock up for Saturday's second half-time draw prizes.