The Partick Thistle thread

"I've always felt appreciated here, and so for me it's a good place to stay. Some people don't know how good they have it until they leave."

Someone obviously thought Stevenson and/or Higginbotham were wankers.

Edited by Ad Lib

I think Frans' erratic form this season has been due to his lack of a decent run in the team without being injured. The fact that he is injury prone does mean that we should be looking elsewhere, but I'd be happy if we kept him. Personally, I don't think there is much between him and Lindsay in terms of ability (at the moment I mean - Lindsay has far more potential) and so either is good backup for the other. Plus I'd rather see us have four centre backs competing for places than three like we were planning on doing at the start of the season with Hendry, as I'm still not necessarily convinced with Miller filling in there. Would be far more gutted if Seaborne left than if Freddie did though, to be honest.

I think Frans' erratic form this season has been due to his lack of a decent run in the team without being injured. The fact that he is injury prone does mean that we should be looking elsewhere, but I'd be happy if we kept him. Personally, I don't think there is much between him and Lindsay in terms of ability (at the moment I mean - Lindsay has far more potential) and so either is good backup for the other. Plus I'd rather see us have four centre backs competing for places than three like we were planning on doing at the start of the season with Hendry, as I'm still not necessarily convinced with Miller filling in there. Would be far more gutted if Seaborne left than if Freddie did though, to be honest.

I'm the opposite. I bloody shit myself every time the opposition get a corner. just watch Dan... Arms around his man, pulling his jersey or more often than not holding him back by the arm. He really struggles to judge a diagonal ball over the top behind Booth falling onto his left side and has a habit of backing off like Grant Murray when someone is running at him.

"I've always felt appreciated here, and so for me it's a good place to stay. Some people don't know how good they have it until they leave."

They were.

But it also applies to a number of players that have left over the years.

He's absolutely spot on there.

It's amazing how so few players seem to better themselves after leaving us.

The great Thistle curse has been alive for generations.

The strangest one was O'Donnell. Great player but buggered off and is now 14th in league two with Luton. ATS to Wigan was a decent move at the time, although he's now with Doncaster who are in the relegation spot in league one.

Most of the criticisms made of Frans can also be applied to the other two, arguably to an even greater extent. If anything I'd rather keep Frans than Seaborne as his right footedness balances out our defence a bit more.

Our defence has been one of the better ones in the league for two seasons now, and we should look to keep it intact as far as we can unless we have someone better readily lined up.

It should be one of the easier positions to deal with over the coming months, and getting Frans signed up hassle free should allow us to prioritise an increasingly weakened midfield.

Said before I think our defence, particularly our centre backs, are better than the sum of their parts- I don't think any of them are great as individuals but they seem to work well enough as a unit 90% of the time, with the odd horrorshow thrown in.

If we can get to the situation where there's 3 senior centre backs competing for 2 places with one of the development squad ready to step up in case of injuries- clearly there isn't at the moment hence Miller being used as 4th choice- then that's probably better than having 4 senior ones in terms of squad balance.

Was being slightly flippant earlier about Frans but I'd guess that the guys Archie sees as must keep would already have been offered deals around the same time as Doolan, Cerny etc so maybe he is on the way out- if it came down to him or Lee Kilday tho...

Even just from the promotion & first top flight season teams, these players have knocked us back to sign for other teams:

Paul Paton - below us in the same league.

Chris Erskine - below us in the same league but has realised the error of his ways.

Kallum Higginbotham - below us in the same league.

Conrad Balatoni - below us in the same league.

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 22nd in English League One, about to get relegated.

Stephen O'Donnell - 13th in English League Two.

Scott Fox - above us in the league & won a League Cup.

All of those players, and only Scott Fox has actually achieved anything other than making a bit more cash. They always think they can do better than the Jags and very rarely does it work out that way.

I think guys like Osman and Lawless are the biggest danger of making the same sort of sideways move which potentially won't work out for them. Hopefully big Freddie gets them telt.

Another couple of goals for Lyle Taylor last night. He's had a pretty good season although at a lower level than the Premiership, imo.

I wonder what wages he'll be on down in the fourth tier?