The Partick Thistle thread

47 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Photo or it didny happen, amma right?!

But honestly man, take the rest of the day off.

It doesn't matter if Weir thought we played in black and white and called us Patrick to his mates. He shared some of his wealth with our club, helping is to become debt free and revolutionising our youth system. That is all that matters. May he rest in peace. End of story. 

It's not the end of the story. It's probably just beginning. 

Everyone has different opinions. I get that for you it's all about the money and what that money did and you don't care how much of a fan he was.

Everyone's different.

Me?

I appreciate what he did, I really do. but I find it odd that there's a narrative being written, a history being created... "To carry on the legacy of a 'legend' and see that his dream becomes a reality". I'm actually quite uncomfortable about how his name is being used by people.

25 minutes ago, dave.j said:

It's not the end of the story. It's probably just beginning. 

Everyone has different opinions. I get that for you it's all about the money and what that money did and you don't care how much of a fan he was.

Everyone's different.

Me?

I appreciate what he did, I really do. but I find it odd that there's a narrative being written, a history being created... "To carry on the legacy of a 'legend' and see that his dream becomes a reality". I'm actually quite uncomfortable about how his name is being used by people.

I dont understand what your Trying to prove tbh. It doesn't matter when he became a fan, what matters more is he felt strongly enough to put some of his fortune into the club for the right reasons ..

Trying to make sure we have a good youth system in place for the future and also wiping our debt.

He could have carelessly pumped money in for transfer fees for players and wages but instead he has guaranteed we will be at least stable for years to come.

I really dont think anything else matters.

I really dont think anything else matters.

I do.

Colin Weir may well have been a lifelong Thistle fan (I think he probably was, or at least had some affinity with the club), or he might have only heard of us when he got involved - I don’t think it actually matters which.

What is of interest is why the narrative that he was a lifelong fan is being pushed so hard, and by who. It reeks of Jackie Low and her PR shite, and i think she’ll use it as a reason to stay in an influential position in order to ‘honour a legends wishes’ or something like that.

None of this is intended as a slight on Colin Weir, who, as I said, I think probably was a genuine Thistle fan and who, even if he wasn’t, did a lot of good things for our club and has all of our thanks for that.

5 minutes ago, Walter said:

Thanks, although the headline says "signs" and text says "expected to sign".
If he does sign you could try liking wee Darian instead of hating Thistleemoji7.png

The original headline was 'signs'. He's a horrible wee p***k who I wish was out of a job. Not happening.

46 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

What is of interest is why the narrative that he was a lifelong fan is being pushed so hard, and by who. It reeks of Jackie Low and her PR shite, and i think she’ll use it as a reason to stay in an influential position in order to ‘honour a legends wishes’ or something like that.

He is a bit of a legend tbh because i dread to think where we would be atm without his input.

I also see your point but it could  just be the media making their story sound better. Hopefully.. 

42 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I guess Penrice is still young and there's potential there, so I'm OK with him staying even if I think he's not that great.

O'Ware should be near the front of the exit queue rather than being extended though. A player in his own mind.

O’Ware should be signing this week!

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I do.

Colin Weir may well have been a lifelong Thistle fan (I think he probably was, or at least had some affinity with the club), or he might have only heard of us when he got involved - I don’t think it actually matters which.

None of this is intended as a slight on Colin Weir, who, as I said, I think probably was a genuine Thistle fan and who, even if he wasn’t, did a lot of good things for our club and has all of our thanks for that.

It's this for me.  I don't really care if he was an Old Firm fan who called us Patrick, no-one can deny the good he has brought to us, and I expect every right-minded Thistle fan will be eternally grateful for him doing something that very, very few would.  He used his wealth very sensibly, as far as I can see, rather than stupidly splurging - or letting the club splurge on players - he tried to put roots down for us, and invest in our future.

It's absolutely the PR stuff around this that wis a bit unsavoury.  Because, as a lot of people have said, it doesn't fucking matter who he supported.  The focus should be on the incredible good he has done for the club, and the sacharine "one of us" sentiments seem unnecessary at best, and a bit insidious at worst with Low involved.