The Partick Thistle thread

9 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

I don’t often bother with midweek fitba chat shows, but last midweek I heard McCall say that if his current squad continued to improve as they had since he came in there would be “few, if any” incoming signings in January.

That’s quite a big “if” I suppose, and gives him a bit of leeway, but unless he’s saying one thing in public and another to his board it looks Like you guys may be disappointed.

PS -  “Bunter”??   Crap patter.

Think he is just doing the same management speak that Caldwell did. You need to praise the crap you have so they don't down tools and can occassionally grind out results to keep within touching distance. Then come transfer window P45 time

11 hours ago, Justin Lee Pineapple Head said:

Think he is just doing the same management speak that Caldwell did. You need to praise the crap you have so they don't down tools and can occassionally grind out results to keep within touching distance. Then come transfer window P45 time

I hope you're right.

It frightens the shengus out of me that he really believes there is the making of a good squad in there.

I hope you're right.
It frightens the shengus out of me that he really believes there is the making of a good squad in there.

He said the same when he came to Ayr then in his first summer window he gutted the squad and built a new team. Obviously he kept players but it was basically a new team.

Gary O’Neil and Patrice Mulumbu are free agents who Aberdeen were looking at but McInnes isn’t looking to add unlit January. Not sure if either would do a job at least until the transfer window shuts? 🤔

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

Gary O’Neil and Patrice Mulumbu are free agents who Aberdeen were looking at but McInnes isn’t looking to add unlit January. Not sure if either would do a job at least until the transfer window shuts? 🤔

Would take either of them, but do we have the funds?

6 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

I think Keillor Davis Dunn is still available too?

From what I have seen of this Thistle team, which is not a lot, I doubt McCall will be able to do much with them. 

I think he will improve the set up and organisation of the team and make them a little harder to beat. However  I suspect McCall knows the best he can hope for  is to pick up enough points to avoid becoming detached at the bottom. 

I don't see any real improvement until the manager can bring in his 'own', players in the January window and off load some of the current squad. 

With the exception of Penrice,  Miller and possibly Bannigan (Mansell & Kakay could be worth developing) the rest can go! 

10 hours ago, Exiledjag said:

From what I have seen of this Thistle team, which is not a lot, I doubt McCall will be able to do much with them. 

I think he will improve the set up and organisation of the team and make them a little harder to beat. However  I suspect McCall knows the best he can hope for  is to pick up enough points to avoid becoming detached at the bottom. 

I don't see any real improvement until the manager can bring in his 'own', players in the January window and off load some of the current squad. 

With the exception of Penrice,  Miller and possibly Bannigan (Mansell & Kakay could be worth developing) the rest can go! 

Sadly, I think thing is true, though I don't think even Bunter can improve the lump of wood that is Mansell. I'd keep Cole possibly.

Football fans will have different opinions of individual players and I  respect this. 

In general though the worrying factor for me as a life-long Jags fan is, assuming we have a much bigger budget than Arbroath, how can they field a team of individuals who look and play like footballers while we field a team of what appears to be very limited, one dimensional and slow (thinking, anticipating and moving) individuals. Exceptions  to my description possibly are Bannigan, Penrice and Miller. 

Kakay has potential and promised much when he ran at defenders but he needed his team mate to move into space to receive a pass or take defenders away from him - not just stand and watch him. 

Whats the most realistic scenario in January punting-wise? Personally, I'd prefer McCall to take his time and build a squad capable of challenging for promotion, even if that means sacrificing the remainder of this season while he builds said squad (while avoiding relegation obviously).

Goalkeepers
- Keep Fox and Sneddon for now. Fox to get punted in the summer.

Defenders
- Punt Hall and Robson in January.
- O'Ware to be mutally consented in January and probably re-join Morton.
- Total clear out in the summer with the exception of Penrice.

Midfielders
- Punt De Vita and Cole to parent clubs and Mitch Austin.
- Punt Harkins, who will be lucky to ever play full-time football again.
- Punt Gordon, Wilson and Cardle in the summer.

Strikers
- Punt Jones.
- Send Mansell off on loan to a Queen's Park or the likes.

Rebuild for next season starts with Sneddon, Penrice, Bannigan, Miller (if not retired), Slater and Zanatta.