The Partick Thistle thread

We've got a bit of leeway with the squad in January given the contract of Hall and the loans of Kakay, Cole, and Palmer are up plus there's a break clause for De Vita.

Kakay I haven't seen enough of but he seems to have been signed to play RB but had his best game at RW, so he hasn't really fixed the same issues we have with Williamson at RB. Hall certainly seems to be 4th choice CB albeit we've only played 4 games under McCall. Wouldn't be surprised to see both not retained.

I think the main issue with squad balance is the huge amount of midfielders we've got when everyone is fit, yet we've had to resort to playing O'Ware in there as a tackler due to injuries and suspensions. I've thought Cole has been good in the limited times I've seen him and provided he's not another sicknote I'd try and keep him to the end of the season. Palmer I think is OK but not really worth taking up a squad or domestic loan place over, and de Vita has looked very much like a 32 year old coming back after a year out with a knee injury.

Of those under contract, Mansell doesn't seem to be at the front of McCall's thoughts, but he's on a 2 year deal (owch). Harkins is at least a little different from most of our midfielders but he's had maybe 1 good game (vs Alloa at home) since he came back? Obviously McCall has signed him (at least) twice and will know him well enough to judge whether he can still contribute.

edit: even if Austin does play 10+ games for us I'm still not holding out much hope of him being any good.

Edited by Fuctifano

1 hour ago, JudgeMudge said:

If you can get rid of three players .... who?

Tough one actually. Think I’d get rid of Hall, Harkins and Mansell.

It’d probably be easier to narrow it down to 3 I want keep, as I would quite happily bin the majority of the squad as soon as possible, but I’d say that trio are currently pointless, with very little chance of that changing in the near future.

ETA, Austin also seems like he should count as a complete waste of time, but until we see him on the pitch I refuse to acknowledge he’s actually real.

Edited by Nightmare

I'd hoped Mansell would develop into a big destroyer in the Lyndon Dykes mould, but McCall doesn't seem to fancy him. Might be worth punting him out on loan in January and taking it from there.

3 hours ago, JudgeMudge said:

If you can get rid of three players .... who?

Tempory trsnsfers aside Cardle, Harkins and Mansell (on loan).

Joe is a trier but he just doesn't seem to fit the system. A nice lad but a swap deal for a tough tackling midfielder perhaps?

Harkins is pretty much done at this level.

Mansell still raw and could maybe do with a spell in League One or Two.

I've not been convinced that Slater is up to much but he could be effective in McCall's side as he seems to fit the profile of a few of Ayr's midfielders. 

Tempory trsnsfers aside Cardle, Harkins and Mansell (on loan).
Joe is a trier but he just doesn't seem to fit the system. A nice lad but a swap deal for a tough tackling midfielder perhaps?
Harkins is pretty much done at this level.
Mansell still raw and could maybe do with a spell in League One or Two.
I've not been convinced that Slater is up to much but he could be effective in McCall's side as he seems to fit the profile of a few of Ayr's midfielders. 

Problem with getting rid of Cardle is that it would leave us with absolutely no options out wide, even if Mitch Austin turns out to be real. Another benefit of the title winning squad we’ve been left.

I’d punt Mansell, Harkins and Gordon.

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Problem with getting rid of Cardle is that it would leave us with absolutely no options out wide, even if Mitch Austin turns out to be real. Another benefit of the title winning squad we’ve been left.

I’d punt Mansell, Harkins and Gordon.

Possibly, but we would be looking for some new players to come in. A creative influence out wide would be on my list. 

Some of the 2 year deals we handed out in the summer (Gordon, Williamson, Mansell) are looking like the worst bits of business though I guess those 3 are all young. Agree punting Mansell on loan to league 1 in January is sensible enough.

Cardle I thought was one of our best players during the LC group and the first couple of games of the season but he's in a honking spell of form at the moment.

I think Slater is better further forward but including him we do have a large group of powderpuff, slow, midfielders will little to no goal threat- the possible exception being Gordon who scores goals but does f**k all else, which is OK for a striker in a team doing well, not so much for a midfielder in a struggling team.

Cardle looks like he knows he's having a nightmare, and is trying everything in his power to change that.  Problem is, it isn't for the lack of trying that he's been poor, and him trying so hard is making it worse.  He probably needs a spell out of the team, but as we saw on Saturday when Zanatta wasn't available, we've really got nothing out wide to replace him with.  

Miller (sadly), Bannigan & Zanatta? Maybe Slater in the mix if has a decent run of form? Squad is depressingly short on quality.

Even tougher question - assuming everyone is fully fit - who are our most important three players?