The Partick Thistle thread

I'm wholly unconvinced by the Thistle For Ever takeover attempt - although, hands up, I'm fairly unconvinced by fan ownership models in general.

Leaving aside the fact that the Thistle fan-base is surely one of the most divisive about, how do TFE propose to finance the club once the Bank of Weir stops? Saying in a press release that it'll be through fan pledges just doesn't cut it. What are the numbers? 

Genuinely, how many supporters do we have that would stump up cash each month - 1.5k? 2k? More? Less? The question of how many fans have actually pledged to TFE at this point is a very valid one. I am doubtful that we have enough fans willing to part with enough money to make it a sustainable method of financing the club. Going to the football already costs the average punter a fair whack, especially for the hardy souls that go home and away.

And if the objective of fan ownership is to make the club self-sustainable, it is hardly that if there is a big cheque from Colin Weir waiting to bail us out at every turn. I really don't recall there being any chat about fan ownership before a month ago - normally, from my understanding, fan ownership attempts usually take a bit of time to build up momentum. They hold events, explain what they're going to do, how they're going to do it - and most importantly, build up some reserves through pledges. This seems like a drummed up, off-the-shelf attempt at fan ownership fuelled by opportunism on the back of Weir's withdrawal.

And if Goodwin is anything, it's an opportunist. He's recruited some well-meaning fans, concerned with the proposed takeover, and made himself the figurehead. I'm not sure that you'll find a Stirling Albion fan with a good word to say about him. The SFSA stuff was /is utterly farcical and if I recall, was just another attempt at staying in the limelight after he was punted by yet another supporters organisation. I vividly recall him appearing on Sportsound and making a complete arse of himself. This is not a guy that I want anywhere near running the club I support - he has zero credentials for doing so and a proven track record of failure.

Having well-intentioned folk like some of the other people involved is all good and well but the bottom line is that running a football club is a business. 

I fear fan ownership will see Thistle resigned to boardroom coups and politicking akin to a Junior committee. For a club with Thistle's aspirations, I don't see how fan ownership is a viable model - and it's certainly not something I think we can jump into on a whim.

For the record, I'm still fairly sceptical of New City Capital and the statement released last night from the Supporters Trust has done nothing to allay those concerns. 

3 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Just noticed (amazed he’s allowed anywhere near anything like this again) that charlatan Paul Goodwin is involved so came to have a look at the comments relating to him. Glad to see many have acknowledged him for what he appears to be.

Not sure who you support, but keen to know more about your thoughts on Goodwin. He strikes me as an absolute cowboy, but would be good to have more (other than what’s already been posted here) to back it up. 

32 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Caldwell pathetically making it seem he has to beg Celtic for tickets. You're not struggling mate, I think you can afford the £20.

Clear he's also going to pretend beating lower league sides in pre-season equals a good start when he cons someone else into giving him a job.

One match  Basically one whole match where I'd say we got a really good result.  Aside from that, we've either lost, drawn a game we should have won on paper, or beaten a lower league diddy.  If I was him I wouldn't be mentioning the results at all.  They've been fucking horrendous.

Wonder who the Firhill three were?. I will assume Bannigan, O’Ware and perhaps Sneddon who was promised a shot at being No1 this season or Cardle  who always seemed to get more abuse from Caldwell than any other player

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4759677/gary-caldwell-partick-thistle-celtic-meeting-sacked/

Interesting that the article had his target as survival last season - not promotion as we were told

2 hours ago, forameus said:

They'd still say it was taking place in some place called "Patrick", and put fucking Clyde's badge up or something.

Nah, it would be more something like:

"Today we are at the AGM of Partick, a club who's promotion campaign from the Tunnock's Irn Bru Division One has got off to a great start, spearheaded by ex-Rangers man Kenny Miller. The Jags are still reeling from the shock resignation of ex-Celtic man Gary Caldwell last week, especially after last night's 6-0 hammering in the Scottish Cup 3rd round match against defending champions, Celtic, under the guidance of ex-Gers player Ian McCall. And we are about to get underway here at Fir Park, over to Partick Thistle chairman, ex-Celtic striker Gerry Britton."

2 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Nah, it would be more something like:

"Today we are at the AGM of Partick, a club who's promotion campaign from the Tunnock's Irn Bru Division One has got off to a great start, spearheaded by ex-Rangers man Kenny Miller. The Jags are still reeling from the shock resignation of ex-Celtic man Gary Caldwell last week, especially after last night's 6-0 hammering in the Scottish Cup 3rd round match against defending champions, Celtic, under the guidance of ex-Gers player Ian McCall. And we are about to get underway here at Fir Park, over to Partick Thistle chairman, ex-Celtic striker Gerry Britton."

A-

Could've got "ex-Ger Stuart McCall" to work in another mistake and OF reference.

Highlights from tonight's AGM include. 

This seasons budget had a 700k deficit which the old board planned to fund from the existing balance and a 300k loan. 

Last season we made 1milliion quid from parachute payment, hearts and eufa payments. We spunked the lot to basically break even and save ourselves from relegation on the final day. 

Thistle For Ever have not made a firm offer for the majority shares. Despite saying they have. All they have done is put forward a proposal. 

Despite being in attendance, TfE didn't ask a single question during the Q&A

34 minutes ago, dave.j said:

Highlights from tonight's AGM include. 

This seasons budget had a 700k deficit which the old board planned to fund from the existing balance and a 300k loan. 

Last season we made 1milliion quid from parachute payment, hearts and eufa payments. We spunked the lot to basically break even and save ourselves from relegation on the final day. 

Thistle For Ever have not made a firm offer for the majority shares. Despite saying they have. All they have done is put forward a proposal. 

Despite being in attendance, TfE didn't ask a single question during the Q&A

Interesting stuff.

From a financial POV I can almost see the logic in such a gamble in that this is the 2nd and last year of the parachute payment coupled with spending the money accrued in the bank which gives us a bit of a budgetary advantage over the other teams in the league -outside the 2 Dundee teams- and was a speculate to at least get a playoff place as next year we'll also be behind other clubs such as Dunfermline and most likely Falkirk as well budget wise.

The whole thing falls on its arse when you entrust it to Caldwell though, more red flags than a communist rally there.

Sounds like the Fitzpatrick and Lindsay money has mitigated the budgeted loss quite a bit albeit paying off Caldwell will dunt it back in the other direction.