14 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Doolan's big day tomorrow. 

FB_IMG_1568492393516.thumb.jpg.e433ee14ad8a936491399eda30fe0cff.jpg

I can't say I'm a big fan of that programme cover but no doubt I'll get one or two. 

Apparently he is giving half today’s earnings to charity- absolutely incredible guy.  A true gentleman 

He won’t have made a fortune from football and there’s plenty of multimillionaire footballers who won’t have given a penny to charity from their testimonials.

14 hours ago, Walter said:

I am too. We would have been relegated long before the final day of the season.

Correct. Archibald assembled one of the worst Thistle squads I have ever seen, which includes Gerry Collins' and Britton/Whyte's efforts. Caldwell did an adequate job last season.

Things we learned today:

Doolan will be back.

So will Erskine.

Rowson should come out of retirement and shore up our midfield.

Tomas Cerny would waste time at the till to stop his gran buying a loaf of bread at the local corner shop.

Oh and basically everyone ever connected with Partick Thistle doesn’t have a good word to say about Gary Caldwell.

Edited by Ad Lib

49 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Things we learned today:

Doolan will be back.

So will Erskine.

Rowson should come out of retirement and shore up our midfield.

Tomas Cerny would waste time at the till to stop his gran buying a loaf of bread at the local corner shop.

Oh and basically everyone ever connected with Partick Thistle doesn’t have a good word to say about Gary Caldwell.

Watching ATS flying down the left gave me a warm fuzzy feeling, along with seeing SOD back in a Thistle strip and Lindsay at half time (along with Elliot too who, credit to him, was glowing about the club). Honestly looks like ATS would still be better than most of our left back options. Also quite nice that Paton was willing to overlook some of the, ah, less than friendly treatment over the last few years to turn out for Doolan.

Bit gutted I never quite caught what Charnley said about McNamara over the bench interview, sounded like he called him a p***k or something, ha.

Rowson looked in good shape yeah, as did Hardie and a few others. Commons has put on the beef a bit, Barry Robson looks like he's still in good nick. Could see why Donati was at AC Milan, too.

Chuckled a bit at the line that some of that football was the best Thistle have played in the past 2 seasons. Probably true enough, notwithstanding the standard of opposition.

Agree that Doolan and Erskine will be back one day, and with open arms too.

A good day all round, and a solid turnout for an all time great.

edit: Doolan's wee girl looked like she had a ball too, and the wee boy refusing to say anything mean about Cerny at the half time penalties was heartwarming. "No."

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

That was a tremendous day out. It was a joy to watch the spine of the Championship winning team again. The game was entertaining enough and Celtic played their part too. Barry Robson was terrific entertainment given how seriously he was taking it. Erskine and O’Donnell spoke well and there seemed to be a reasonable turn out.

The only negative was that the whole event just reiterated how much I resent the charlatan we currently have at the helm for ripping the life and soul out of the club. Hopefully it won’t be long before we can have a club to be proud of again.

Surprised to hear that ATS is still without a club. Would take him over Penrice or Robson every day of the week.

A great day at Firhill, but in a strange way also kind of sobering. The lineup to start the game was a grim reminder of what we very recently used to have, and when you compare it to the shite we’re trotting out every week now, it’s just so sad.

Of everyone on the pitch, Lawless seemed to be trying very hard (I wonder why...), as did Barry Robson for Celtic. I thought Donati was a class act for them as well, and you can still tell he used to be a very, very good player. Glad Doolan got a ‘real’ goal after the shambles of a one they were desperate to give him a few minutes earlier.

Lindsay and Christie as well - top lads. All in all though, a great day.

Brilliant seeing the promotion team back together. I should emphasise the word ‘team’. A group of players who clearly would run through a brick wall for each other on the park and good friends off it. Coupled with a likeable management team who the players respected. How times have changed.

Caldwell out

9 hours ago, Cerberus said:

We should get Doolan back on loan just to fire Caldwell.

Into the fucking sun.

10 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Into the fucking sun.

You strike me as living in a fantasy where Alan Archibald, Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine (who, like Archibald before him, was perfectly keen to sign for Dundee United when it suited his playing career, although you've said he has a "rightful place" at Firhill) are your best mates, knock out pleasant-enough 2-1 home wins against Hamilton and Ross County (but nothing more) and then go for pints with you afterwards.

Despite lots of evidence that it was no longer working. The last 18 months of Archibald's reign was absolutely dismal.

The only key argument for sacking Caldwell will be if results continue to be as bad in the league. Him allegedly being arrogant or unpleasant will be completely irrelevant as I'm assuming none of us are associating with him personally or working with him. People seem to be focusing mainly on his alleged personality, mainly those who see us as 'cuddly toy'.

We have only played 5 games and I'm prepared for him to get at least the same again to see what happens.

Anyone as gutted as I am that Piccolo didn't show up to the testimonial. What a beautiful sight that would have been.

3 hours ago, milhouse said:

You strike me as living in a fantasy where Alan Archibald, Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine (who, like Archibald before him, was perfectly keen to sign for Dundee United when it suited his playing career, although you've said he has a "rightful place" at Firhill) are your best mates, knock out pleasant-enough 2-1 home wins against Hamilton and Ross County (but nothing more) and then go for pints with you afterwards.

Despite lots of evidence that it was no longer working. The last 18 months of Archibald's reign was absolutely dismal.

The only key argument for sacking Caldwell will be if results continue to be as bad in the league. Him allegedly being arrogant or unpleasant will be completely irrelevant as I'm assuming none of us are associating with him personally or working with him. People seem to be focusing mainly on his alleged personality, mainly those who see us as 'cuddly toy'.

We have only played 5 games and I'm prepared for him to get at least the same again to see what happens.

Would genuinely love to hear the reasoning behind giving him another 5 games.

He doesn’t deserve one more game, let alone 5.

I was quite happy to give him a chance, and unlike many others, don’t actually have much against him getting rid of Doolan and Erskine; a fresh start could have been a good thing. But after last season’s shambles, and now starting this one with two points from five very generous fixtures... nah, time’s up. He had his chance and he’s fucked it, because the reality of the situation is he’s just a really poor manager.

Caldwell as Thistle manager:

For:

Shipped out a massive amount of dross in January,  signed Scott McDonald (the one decision which saved both him and us last season).

Kept us up... on the last day of the season.

Against:

Albeit with a terrible squad inherited from AA, achieved pretty much zero prior to Christmas (no new manager bounce at all), starting with a long run of losses;

Emptied some of our better players (with zero class or respect shown) because they were long-serving, senior ones who might stand up to him;

Has made a terrible start to this season in an easy run of games;

Seems to have lost the dressing room based on how players are (not) responding to him on the field;

Seems to have lost board backing given that he is rumoured to have frozen out Bannigan but wasn't allowed to let him leave;

Has us playing nice side to side passes with almost no attacking threat beyond his 40-year-old pal who is unlikely to play the whole season without injury.

Has, throughout his reign, come across as delusional, and a complete bellend (this wouldn't be important if we weren't so bad on the park, and joint bottom of the league - again).

He looks just as out of ideas as his predecessor, with the extra twist that the players all seem to hate him too.  Will any football club employ him as a manager again?  Doubt it.

The jury's still out on Caldwell for me and I'm willing to give him more time. Once he got his own players in in January the run we had was relatively good in comparison to the rest of the league.

Looking at the games this season we were the better team against Ayr even with 10 men but no team could hold out with nine men for 40 minutes. The Dundee Utd game could have gone either way and a draw away to Alloa isn't bad in the wider scheme of things. The first half against Arbroath was woeful but we were the better side in the second half. It was the opposite against Morton. 

I believe the results will come but it needs everyone pulling in the same direction. My only concern is the constant rumours of un-rest with some of the players but I can only hope these are minor and once we get a couple of wins then everyone starts to believe too.

4 minutes ago, Jaggy-T said:

The jury's still out on Caldwell for me and I'm willing to give him more time. Once he got his own players in in January the run we had was relatively good in comparison to the rest of the league.

Looking at the games this season we were the better team against Ayr even with 10 men but no team could hold out with nine men for 40 minutes. The Dundee Utd game could have gone either way and a draw away to Alloa isn't bad in the wider scheme of things. The first half against Arbroath was woeful but we were the better side in the second half. It was the opposite against Morton. 

I believe the results will come but it needs everyone pulling in the same direction. My only concern is the constant rumours of un-rest with some of the players but I can only hope these are minor and once we get a couple of wins then everyone starts to believe too.

Hi Gary.

We weren’t the better team against Ayr with ten men (which was surely only about twenty minutes of the game anyway). We were just punting it to Zanatta, and he was doing well. I’ll accept the 9 men were mitigating circumstances, but even then there was some bizarre stuff from Caldwell (Mansell in at left back, for example)

And a draw at Alloa is a pretty shite result.

The only game (that I’ve seen) where we were the better team for the majority was the Morton game, and we still managed to completely f**k that up.

He needs to go ASAP. Like others, I don’t even really care that he got rid of Doolan and Erskine, but he’s clearly not good at his job. Get him to f**k

Results are what count, whatever you think of the manager. Our club doesn't have the resources to experiment and take many defeats while the manager finds his feet: that was tried with Campbell and Archibald, and the inevitable conclusions of their careers as manager were far too late, which was down to the board(s) being indecisive. Unless Caldwell puts together a run of wins pronto, he should be on his way.