Caldwell has repeated constantly that he’s delighted with his squad 1-15 and that it’s a squad that can compete at the top..I will judge that after the first quarter but the board are given him his excuse if they don’t allow another 3 signings

Based on the squad he’s built, I wouldn’t be letting him squander what scarce resources there are either. Why allow him to bring in another striker who can’t score goals? Another ex old firm chum looking for a final pay day? Yet another midfielder who can’t create anything? A defender who can’t defend?

The sad thing is that a lot of us saw this coming from day one. Too many fans are in denial and seem to think we owe him something because he got us to the dizzy heights of 6th place on the last day of last season.

Caldwell has repeated constantly that he’s delighted with his squad 1-15 and that it’s a squad that can compete at the top..I will judge that after the first quarter but the board are given him his excuse if they don’t allow another 3 signings
I'll judge it now.

He's talking out his arse.

1 hour ago, Jag4life said:

They have allowed him. It's up to him and his whatsapp group to find them. 

Everything Caldwell boasted about pre season / at the end of last season is (predictably) turning out to be pish. 

He said he would get a better replacement for Doolan. Miller? Mansell? Jones? Really?

He said he would be the fittest team in the league due to starting pre season early. But the players were absolutely knackered after about 70 minutes. 

He said he would have a defined style style of play. Yet I have no clear idea of what that style is or what we aren’t actually trying to do?

The guy is a charlatan. 

Edited by VladimirMooc

Lots of love here after last night... 

Hope everyone that wants to say 'told you so' gets their chance. 

I must be the only person that thought last night wasn't that bad. United just shaded a competitive game. We were the better team in the first half, them in the second. We couldnt keep up the pressing in the second half and Jones and Palmer faded. That is a good united team and they'll win the league. We will be about the play offs, which is what we all hoped for pre season. 

Edited by ALJAGS76

On 08/08/2019 at 13:55, dave.j said:

I have a couple of pals who are Barnsley fans and and say they have been fantastic for the Club, especially on the playing side of things and how they build and evolve the squad.

There's nothing wrong with being skeptical, it's good to nbe cautious. But some of the stuff thats been posted on here, WAT and Twitter is hysterical paranoia conspiracies. some people should take a look at themselves and step back from the keyboard for a wee while.

If you don’t mind me asking the Barnsley fans you know, what we’re there thoughts prior to the takeover? Did they have many concerns etc about what would happen after?

30 minutes ago, ALJAGS76 said:

I must be the only person that thought last night wasn't that bad. United just shaded a competitive game. We were the better team in the first half, them in the second. We couldnt keep up the pressing in the second half and Jones and Palmer faded. That is a good united team and they'll win the league. We will be about the play offs, which is what we all hoped for pre season. 

I agree. Thought we played really well in the first half but the way we sat back/tired in the second half makes me question Caldwells boast that we are the fittest team in the league. Why are guys like Palmer (19) and Jones (24?)  shattered after 55 minutes and replaced while Miller (39) gets 90 minutes to constantly point his finger and drop into midfield. Thought Palmer played well, as for Bannigan he  looks like he wants away and played like it last night. Sneddon had a night to forget. McGinty and Saunders kept Shankland quiet other than a fluke goal. Guys like Shankland and Hemmings are the reason why the Dundee teams will be up the top. Sadly I reckon Miller, Mansell and Jones will be lucky to get double figures between them. Going to be a slog this season unless we can get a Rudden type striker in. Maybe Beattie will throw us a few crumbs this afternoon

Edited by Sting777

We'll see how we're placed after the first round of fixtures, but based on the first two games we're mid-table at best, and could easily be looking at a re-run of last season's scrapping to stay up.  It's unfortunate that the old board/new board bickering /bus nonsense has obscured the fact that Caldwell hasn't actually built a very good squad.  We look desperately light up front and very soft in the middle.  I can't imagine the manager was planning on more than 1 extra squad player in each of these areas, even if there had been no nonsense going on at the club.

The first half, I thought, was quite good.  Nice goal from a great cross, finished by a defender.  Unfortunately the econd half performance was strongly reminiscent of the tail end of the Archibald era - sitting back, making errors, giving the ball away, and predictably allowing a 1-goal lead to be overturned.  I'm not a big Scott Fox fan, but the first thing I'd do would be to bring him in, as he would probably have stopped both of last night's goals. 

Also, Kenny Miller should never, ever try to beat a defender for pace again.  At best he needs to adopt a Kris Boyd style of standing in the box and waiting for a ball to break to him. He looked miles of the pace and potentially completely done.

36 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Also, Kenny Miller should never, ever try to beat a defender for pace again.  At best he needs to adopt a Kris Boyd style of standing in the box and waiting for a ball to break to him. He looked miles of the pace and potentially completely done.

Exactly. He spent all night telling people what to do, point his finger and drift into midfield. With Mansell and Jones our only other strikers I assume Miller was brought in for the purpose you describe....stand in the box and wait for the crumbs. He is clearly not doing that. Trying to use his pace to get past the Und player on the touchline was embarrassing. The board, from somewhere,  need to get some cash and try and persuade Sevco to give us Rudden for the season or we are 7th/8th at best

12 hours ago, dave.j said:

Hes playing without a budget? Since when?

The point I was trying to make but obviously failed to do was that it appears that his transfer budget has been frozen/removed at the start of the transfer window.

My biggest complaint about Gaz has to be giving a platform to that cabbage on twitter BM. 

He said he would defend Caldwell if he committed genocide on Twitter today, because he’s earned it. Also managed to pick Jacqui Low out from a crowd shot on the BBC coverage last night.

He’s clearly not the full shilling and needs professional help, not encouraged.

2 hours ago, third lanark said:

If you don’t mind me asking the Barnsley fans you know, what we’re there thoughts prior to the takeover? Did they have many concerns etc about what would happen after?

No idea. I think they had a habit of buying older players on shortish term seals with the majority freed at the end of their contracts.

Now they work on a model where they bring them in young on longer term deals. And sell them on for profit that goes back into the team.

If a player they want to keep won't commit to longer term deals, then I think the rule generally is, "see you later then".

Dont quote me but I'm sure they just lost 3 of their first choice back 4. Much to everyone's concern. But within a week has replaced them with what the fans think are all better than they had.

8 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

Who is BM on Twitter?

Owner of Top Spot in the current Top 100 Thistle Wallopers. 

A position that's had some competition since he started tongue punching Caldwells shitter, but he's come back stronger with his latest tweet proclaiming his undying love for him, even if he committed genocide.

2 hours ago, Firhill_Basin said:

My biggest complaint about Gaz has to be giving a platform to that cabbage on twitter BM. 

Please dont call him Gaz. 

40 minutes ago, professor challenger said:

The point I was trying to make but obviously failed to do was that it appears that his transfer budget has been frozen/removed at the start of the transfer window.

Even though the Board have completely rubbished this? You're still buying it. 

Ok.

State of the thirsty Thistle da’s on Twitter rimming the former Chairman. 

Fucking saps.