The Partick Thistle thread

21 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

McGarry clearly had a relationship with the old board and now knows nothing about the goings on at the club now they've been turfed out. I'd take anything he's getting from "a source within the club" with a massive pinch of salt.

Yup, this. 

Jacqui dusting off the PR playbook for one last absolutely transparent hurrah. The core of the story is that the board aren’t permitting Caldwell to spent £200,000 (!!!!) on a couple of new players whilst the club is being sold. How anyone could be surprised by that is beyond me. 

Just now, VladimirMooc said:

Yup, this. 

Jacqui dusting off the PR playbook for one last absolutely transparent hurrah. The core of the story is that the board aren’t permitting Caldwell to spent £200,000 (!!!!) on a couple of new players whilst the club is being sold. How anyone could be surprised by that is beyond me. 

I assumed the £200k was 4 players' wages which seems about right for a top end championship club (if you assume some of it is bonuses that might not be paid).

Also The Jags Trust latest update of last week stated the training ground was still a work in progress, which suggests it's finally been killed off very quickly (suspect it's been dead in the water for a long time) or they were being lied to last week by DB and GB.

Its difficult to know who to trust in this instance. The current chairman, a Thistle fan with a proven track record of competent governance or the former Tory PR spin doctor whose entire reign was a disaster.

Toughie.

41 minutes ago, dave.j said:

Team Low comes out fighting. 

Hmm, first it's an insider, then it's sources plural, then we are treated to the unedifying image of Low as a 'close friend' of Weir.

Talk of the steamie. 

Jacqui Low fights back with a smear campaign.

What do you call the rumours spread by the likes of Jim Alexander? Are we to accept their accusations as gospel?

18 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I assumed the £200k was 4 players' wages which seems about right for a top end championship club (if you assume some of it is bonuses that might not be paid).

Also The Jags Trust latest update of last week stated the training ground was still a work in progress, which suggests it's finally been killed off very quickly (suspect it's been dead in the water for a long time) or they were being lied to last week by DB and GB.

Just pulling a thought out of the air/my arse, but why would the club budget £200,000 for players it might feasibly pluck from a partner club playing their wages already?

The story also suggests that Beattie & Co aren't having much luck with Colin Weir. Idle speculation, but could there be a gatekeeper in their road? Say, a 'close friend'? I am sure this is nonsense and everyone is being very grown up.

50k a year works out just under a grand a week.

We were offering some players less on their new deals when we were promoted.

Apart from the Dundee teams, I'd be surprised if 800/900 quid a week wages was the norm in the Championship. Including bonuses.

Who knows though, i could be way off (as usual).

Reads to me as if he's definitely got a source within the club in the form of either Caldwell himself or one of his mates. 
A mate of Caldwell's who has a history of leaking stuff to the press and has insider knowledge? Wonder who that could be? [emoji23]

Not sure what to believe here. The minute Low was booted I expected Colin Weir to be right behind her and withdraw his funding. That appears to be the case. Britton and Beattie appear to have been talking total pish to the Jags Trust last week. There must be more to this takeover than giving us a couple of Barnsley fringe players. If thats the case, whats the bloody point. Rumours that Beattie has been spotted up on scaffolding ripping the Colin Weir Stand sign down tonight has yet to be confirmed!!!

1 hour ago, Dr Koop said:

The story also suggests that Beattie & Co aren't having much luck with Colin Weir. Idle speculation, but could there be a gatekeeper in their road? Say, a 'close friend'? I am sure this is nonsense and everyone is being very grown up.

Colin Weir, the Euromillions winner who has bankrolled the club’s Thistle Weir Academy, was a driving force behind the proposed new training ground as director of the ‘Three Black Cats’ group. He has however now ended his involvement with the club following the removal of close friend Jacqui Low as chairman and the re-appointment of Beattie, meaning the search for an alternative site is now dead.

Beattie had stated that he would be contacting Weir to discuss his ongoing involvement in the club, but that approach has been rebuffed by Weir.

Partick Thistle have been contacted for comment and are expected to respond soon.

Sounds like Colin Weir is gone as is the training ground.

Oh, well...

Was talk on Saturday by some fans that Beattie is skint because his ex wife has taken him to the cleaners and desperate for the cash.

who knows if that’s the case but would expect some statement from the board to respond to the points raised in the newspaper article

45 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Was talk on Saturday by some fans that Beattie is skint because his ex wife has taken him to the cleaners and desperate for the cash.

who knows if that’s the case but would expect some statement from the board to respond to the points raised in the newspaper article

Have to say the minute the board part disappeared from the Q&A segment of the open day, alarm bells started ringing for me!! Wouldnt be surprised if the whole day is scrapped. Caldwell will get bombarded with questions that he probably has no idea what the answers are, in fact would anyone be surprised if he wasnt in the dugout on Friday!! The fans, especially the ones that have forked out over £300 in season tickets deserve answers now!! Are you listening Mr Beattie?

Edited by Sting777

I think I’m going to watch PropCo’s Company Search page very closely in the coming weeks.

The deprioritising of on-park investment would suggest to me an agenda to run a very stripped down club in rather a lot more senses of the word than just on it.

How does a Reserve team make money? Not with high overheads or by holding on to assets.

1 hour ago, third lanark said:

Speculating about the guy’s personal life on an internet forum. You stay classy, Third Lanark. 

3 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

Speculating about the guy’s personal life on an internet forum. You stay classy, Third Lanark. 

Just saying what was discussed on Saturday at the game. Lots of speculation on these forums about all kind of things I see, including personnel from boards past, players, managers etc but being a smug hypocrite you don’t bother to mention that.

hypocrite