The Partick Thistle thread

AJ just said in a supporters meeting that we won't have Scully back next season as Thistle want him to stay for now, was good of Partick to let us have him last season when he could really have played in a championship team tbf.

Edited by Grant228

Lawless only bet on 513 different games.

Could be a bit sensationalist. I probably bet on approx 25 matches a week. More if there is champions league on. That's only 2x5 fold coupons on a Saturday and a Sunday with a few covering singles over Fri-mon.

It's even more when CL and Europa league are on.

Not difficult to bet on that many games in a short period.

Balatoni screams a player who has found his level and even then it has taken the best part of 2 seasons in the premier league to find a partner he's completely comfortable with. I could see him back up here next year if he moved.

To be fair, partnering Balatoni with Piccolo was never going to work. Partnering Piccolo with anyone was never going to work.

Balatoni has improved a lot since being partnered with Frans, but it won't exactly be a massive loss if he leaves. We'll still have Seaborne ready to step back in for the start of the new season and should be fine at CB with him & Frans as first choice, backed up by Lindsay and another signing (I'm assuming BRE will be away, but maybe not).

I'd argue retaining Balatoni is right down the list in terms of importance to the team, along with Craigen. It would be nice if both did return, but they are replaceable. Signing Booth was more important as he filled a very specific need that we struggled with the majority of last season, retaining hopefully at least two of Osman, Lawless and Higginbotham will be more important, and bringing in Lyle Taylor permanently should be at the top of the list.

Another thing - it'll be interesting to see how the situation with Seaborne would pan out if Conrad does decide to sign a new deal.

Thistle fans, lyle Taylor holds a number of your affections from his 1st spell but would it be fair to say he is benefitting from "2nd spell syndrome" in the same way that goodwilie at Utd, eremenko at killie and ojamaa at Motherwell have?

Essentially he's not been nearly as prolific this time around yet you all seem willing to spend a large chunk of your budget on him. Is he being afforded more time to come good as you know what he was capable of or has he actually been good this time round but just without the regular goals?

This is a poorly written post but it's late and I'm fucked if I'm writing it differently - hopefully you get the gist!

Thistle fans, lyle Taylor holds a number of your affections from his 1st spell but would it be fair to say he is benefitting from "2nd spell syndrome" in the same way that goodwilie at Utd, eremenko at killie and ojamaa at Motherwell have?

Essentially he's not been nearly as prolific this time around yet you all seem willing to spend a large chunk of your budget on him. Is he being afforded more time to come good as you know what he was capable of or has he actually been good this time round but just without the regular goals?

This is a poorly written post but it's late and I'm fucked if I'm writing it differently - hopefully you get the gist!

Really good question. I'd say he has been equally as good, worked equally as hard. But my God has he lacked any luck!

I've never seen so many balls fall just behind his run, slip just as he's taking a shot. I'd love to see him a Thistle player next season, he's one of the best all round strikers I've seen at Firhill, he's got the lot.

There's far more to Lyle Taylor's game than scoring goals. If he scored goals every other game in addition to his all-round play, we wouldn't be talking about him here because he'd be playing at a much higher level and be miles out of our reach.

His goal return this season is slightly disappointing; a result of a mixture of poor finishing and just plain bad luck. But the way he bullies defenders, runs into great spaces/positions, holds the ball up and brings others into play are very, very important for us. He's a great player for a club like us.

I don't really care about Conrad staying in football terms, but it's sad to see anyone from THAT season leave and he does seem like a decent boii, hope he does well wherever he ends up

This.

I'm sure he'd be a big miss in the dressing room. Him, Craigen and Elliott are not the best footballers but they give their all and have played a big part in our amazing team spirit over the last few years.

Would be very sad if Conrad, Jimmy C, Lawless and Foxy leave. Aero gone too <\3 <\3

Edit: SOD too. Think I'd greet.

Edited by Reid

Taken from WAT, but it appears Ryan Finnie has been released. There goes that hope of a SOD replacement...

Finnie must have been shite. Ah well.

I'd like to be able to say that I was really disappointed Finnie has gone and that he would have gone on to be a good player for Thistle, but the truth is that after his first couple of games, one of which was as a trialist, I'm struggling to recall a good performance.

He started off promisingly enough, bombing down the right wing and firing over plenty of crosses of an inconsistent nature, but after a couple of games he seemed to descend into a keenness of taking two touches too many and losing the ball, causing a counter attack(although that is partially due to poor midfield play in not covering defensively). He's definitely more a Jordan McMillan than a Stephen O'Donnell in that he wouldn't be able to bomb up and down the wing all game long that, arguably, our system is set up to complement.

My last memory of him was against Motherwell, a game where the whole team were honking, and his inability to deal with a simple long ball caused him to be outmuscled by a striker to set up Motherwell's first goal -

3:30 on the link.

I imagine he'll drop down to the Championship and get a game there. Indeed I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a Premiership club in a couple of years after regular first team football. However, he isn't good enough to directly fill SOD's shoes, he couldn't keep Matthew McInally out of the side towards the end of the season and with him being overage next season(born in February 1995), ultimately, it meant he had to go.

There's far more to Lyle Taylor's game than scoring goals. If he scored goals every other game in addition to his all-round play, we wouldn't be talking about him here because he'd be playing at a much higher level and be miles out of our reach.

His goal return this season is slightly disappointing; a result of a mixture of poor finishing and just plain bad luck. But the way he bullies defenders, runs into great spaces/positions, holds the ball up and brings others into play are very, very important for us. He's a great player for a club like us.

This. I'm actually a little disappointed in his finishing at times. It seems whenever he gets a clear chance running in on the keeper, he will just boot it as hard as he can in the general area the keeper's in. Sometimes it goes just by him and in, other times it hits him. Then the other time he skies it all the way back to Maryhill like he did against Hamilton.

But it's not just about the goals, in fact I'd say that's secondary. When he's on it, he is an absolute nightmare for defenders. When we beat Inverness 1-0 with the Lawless goal, he had just come on and managed to take the ball down and give it to him in a way that Doolan would never have been able to do.

I'm just hoping that Taylor realises he could be a big thing here, rather than just another player down South. We're not going to be the most glamorous spot here, but he could become easily our most important player, and unless he goes massively downhill, he's going to be a favourite. Get the feeling that we won't have the money we need to keep him though :(

Taylor scored 7 goals last season after making his debut on January 1st. 2 of those were in the last 2 games. He's scored 4 with 2 games to go this season after making his debut on 7 February.

Agree with everything above- he could and probably should have scored more, but his finishing when he has time to think about it and is running through on the keeper is mince. Even his first goal last season vs Hearts he hit it straight at the keeper and it rebounded him.

I'd be delighted if him and Dools were our two strikers backed up by a u20 player next year, they offer different things.

Last time Beattie done a cracking interview at the end of the season he fucked it up spectacularly by trying to chuck home fans out of the North stand. He talks a good game about fan experience but he needs to back it up by doing something.

JH Stand to be given over to OF next season

personally, I'm OK with moving. Maybe others aren't.

Edited by Fuctifano

I might be missing something, but will they not fully deserve that pat on the back if they get back 600 home fans a game?

Perhaps the point is giving themselves a pat on the back, rather than congratulations from the fans who might have higher hopes than merely replacing the 600 lost.