The Partick Thistle thread

Tbf we're losing a first choice CB, and the other one has been heavily scouted by QPR.

Even still, do you think it’s likely that Anderson will be back in the first team plans at Saints? I would have thought that you’d be looking to replace the guys you’re losing and would be setting the bar a bit higher than Anderson.

I think one of Caldwell's big focusses as manager of Thistle and something that he and his team deserve credit for are the improvements in strength and fitness of certain players, case in point being Spittal and Penrice.  I think McGinty is another example. 

Having managed in the English leagues where players are generally units he will know the importance of a good strength and conditioning programme and people who can show/get the players doing what will be of benefit to them.

Edited by Chicken George

13 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I like Ando, and would take him again next season if he's available. You need a tough, experienced defender at this level, and he's definitely that. I also think Sean McGinty has improved from playing next to him.

I saw a huge improvement in McGinty in the recent visit to Dingwall.

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:28, Walter said:
On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 09:30, RandomGuy. said:
Cerny hasn't faced Saints in well over a year but I'm still fucking seething thinking about his lay ball down, walk away, squat a bit, jump a bit, squat a bit, deep breath, jump a bit, stroll up to ball, smash it out for a throw in, routine.

You call it time wasting. We call it the highlight of last season.

It is known as game management now. Time-wasting is such a tawdry term.

15 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Started off like a man possessed where he didn't lose a header for about a month and was blocking everything that got near him. Popped up with a few important goals as well. Since then, he's been hot and cold - has good games (like last night, where Ayr were intent on just launching the ball up into the wind), but also has made a few mistakes. He's awful with the ball at his feet as well, but I'm assuming you know that already.

I like Ando, and would take him again next season if he's available. You need a tough, experienced defender at this level, and he's definitely that. I also think Sean McGinty has improved from playing next to him.

Completely agree. Ando seemed to win everything in the air at Ayr, but then gave it away immediately after even though the out ball was a fairly simple pass, pretty frustrating but he got away with it. I've probably been a bit harsh on McGinty and potentially eating my words coming towards the end of the season, hopefully he carries on this way. 

Anderson's pace is of geriatric proportions, and a handful of f**k-ups leading to goals conceded suggests that extends a little into his defending aswell. I'd be worried that one more full-time pre-season could finish him off. 

On the whole however he's given far more to the team than he's cost them, providing leadership that seems to have settled a panicky defence down a bit. I'd like to keep him next season as he's a cut and dried captain which we probably haven't had since Archibald was playing, but I wouldn't break the bank. 

14 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Anderson's pace is of geriatric proportions, and a handful of f**k-ups leading to goals conceded suggests that extends a little into his defending aswell. I'd be worried that one more full-time pre-season could finish him off. 

On the whole however he's given far more to the team than he's cost them, providing leadership that seems to have settled a panicky defence down a bit. I'd like to keep him next season as he's a cut and dried captain which we probably haven't had since Archibald was playing, but I wouldn't break the bank. 

Next season we might just have a piggy bank to go on.

On 25/04/2019 at 09:58, Chicken George said:

I think one of Caldwell's big focusses as manager of Thistle and something that he and his team deserve credit for are the improvements in strength and fitness of certain players, case in point being Spittal and Penrice.  I think McGinty is another example. 

Having managed in the English leagues where players are generally units he will know the importance of a good strength and conditioning programme and people who can show/get the players doing what will be of benefit to them.

So the plans for a hospital wing at the new training ground can be put on hold, then?

The approach to strength and fitness overall has increased the resilience of players, and perhaps the change in the personnel dealing with it (or not) was the cause.  The loudest alarm for any manager (regardless of the business) should be staff absence statistics, but before Caldwell's arrival it seemed to be regarded as a trivial matter.

55 minutes ago, KelvindaleJag said:

So the plans for a hospital wing at the new training ground can be put on hold, then?

The approach to strength and fitness overall has increased the resilience of players, and perhaps the change in the personnel dealing with it (or not) was the cause.  The loudest alarm for any manager (regardless of the business) should be staff absence statistics, but before Caldwell's arrival it seemed to be regarded as a trivial matter.

While a large part of those 'in charge' of the physical conditioning of Thistle palyers roles is geared towards injury prevention (hence the hospital?),  I am referring instead to what physical changes individual players can make that would aid their performance in the field. Penrice, for example, is visibly leaner than he was pre-Caldwell. He can motor better now. Spitall is carrying more muscle. Likewise McGinty. McGinty is a tall man with a big frame and I think he can add muscle to lessen the likelihood of being ragdolled. He should play simple passes. And if he wants to open up play further up the pitch, rather than hoof it he should use and develop his untypical centrehalf ability of carrying the ball. 

Anyway, I think this could be a key tenet of Caldwell's managerial strategy and again, something he has experience of with in England

Edited by Chicken George

6 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Bought QOTS tickets to be collected from the ticket office today. Anyone know if they’re to be picked up from the main stand ticket office or the Jackie Husband stand reception?

They're on sale from the kiosk at the back of the JHS. Not sure if that's where pick-ups are kept though...