The Partick Thistle thread

14 minutes ago, smpar said:

The rainbow kit, while a nice idea, is a huge risk from a sales perspective. There’ll be plenty fans actively avoiding buying it, if the replies on Twitter are anything to go by.

Bold move by the club though and they should be applauded for it.

Do you think? I reckon there would be more encouraged by it than discouraged. I'd be surprised if anyone bothered to buy last season's bore of an away top, so it's got to be an improvement sales wise.

18 minutes ago, smpar said:

The rainbow kit, while a nice idea, is a huge risk from a sales perspective. There’ll be plenty fans actively avoiding buying it, if the replies on Twitter are anything to go by.

Bold move by the club though and they should be applauded for it.

It’s absolutely not a risk at all. Decent Thistle fans, who are in the majority, will see the strip as a good thing. And strips like this will also sell massively to non-Thistle fans from outside Scotland who aren’t the bigoted wee dobbers who are responding to the club’s tweet. 

Edited by VladimirMooc

Reckon the strip will be a success on all fronts. From the close-up picture it looks like it’s a smart kit, highlights we’re a club that’s open to all and it’s good PR (I know, shock).

No surprise there’s folk sneering at it in the Twitter replies. Surprised and disappointed it’s came from younger fans though. Suppose it just highlights the need for it.

I fully expect to get slaughtered for this. I’m not trolling or attention-seeking but I just don’t think this is what the club needs at the moment. I have nothing against the sentiment, I just think the timing is a bit ill-judged. 

A PR shitstorm, virtue-signalling exercise is the last thing we need. We should be concentrating all of our efforts on putting a semi-competent football team on the park. 

9 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

I fully expect to get slaughtered for this. I’m not trolling or attention-seeking but I just don’t think this is what the club needs at the moment. I have nothing against the sentiment, I just think the timing is a bit ill-judged. 

A PR shitstorm, virtue-signalling exercise is the last thing we need. We should be concentrating all of our efforts on putting a semi-competent football team on the park. 

Na. You have expressed your feelings rationally with your own reasons. Where on twitter it’s arseholes projecting homophobic-esq comments that should rightfully get slaughtered. 

Edited by cilitbang

9 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Think Jim Davidson has got a hold of Hammer Jag's password.

11 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Why will it be a PR shitstorm? Because bigots are bigoting? Good. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with virtue signalling. Virtues are good things so let’s signal them. 

I highly doubt our efforts at putting a good team on the park will be in the least bit affected at an away strip that does nothing but show our club is for everyone. Each to their own, but I suspect you sort of do have something against the sentiment. 

Edited by VladimirMooc

12 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

So when is the right time? Champions League Final as the Jags stroll out to take on Barcelona?

Well done Thistle. 

A few folk getting a bit of a shock that football isn't a safe place for their shite and not liking it.

Would I buy a rainbow United kit? Probably not if it was the main focus of the kit. A nice wee subtle sleeve or collar trim though.

Seemed to have becoming a bit of a thing in hockey to have pride themed jerseys 

Pride-1024x1024.png

devils_pride_mosey_duggan_ws-e1549567985517.jpg

In the same way that some clubs are now doing sponsor free kits if they're sponsored by e.g.a betting company, maybe we could do one without the rainbow stripe but with pictures of gammon instead for the "I'm all for equality, but" crowd

Wouldn’t bother me if St Mirren featured a rainbow flag motif on our change kit. The only question I would have is the motive behind it. Is it part of other, ongoing initiatives the club have? Or, is it merely being used cynically as a device to sell jerseys, and generate publicity for the club. In short, is this being done in the same way as Thistle’s ‘scary yellow mascot’ episode, which got people who wouldn’t normally give a fcuk about Thistle, talking about Thistle.

Do you think? I reckon there would be more encouraged by it than discouraged. I'd be surprised if anyone bothered to buy last season's bore of an away top, so it's got to be an improvement sales wise.

It’s absolutely not a risk at all. Decent Thistle fans, who are in the majority, will see the strip as a good thing. And strips like this will also sell massively to non-Thistle fans from outside Scotland who aren’t the bigoted wee dobbers who are responding to the club’s tweet. 

That’s a good point re non-Thistle supporters, as you must be one of the only clubs doing something like this at the moment. There’s every chance this could catch on to a very wide audience and get (hopefully mostly positive) attention from around the world. My initial thought was that there may be so many people narrow-minded enough to avoid buying the kit because it’s being “shoved down our throats.” That’s no comment on Thistle fans, just as football fans in our society in general.

We should be concentrating all of our efforts on putting a semi-competent football team on the park. 

Aye, I’m sure you’ll have a much better chance at promotion if your marketing/PR team focused on good, old-fashioned straight kits rather than this politically correct nonsense, eh.

1 hour ago, VladimirMooc said:

The reaction already from knuckle draggers on Twitter is grim. Not a fan of the current club leadership but extremely proud if the top is making the sort of statement that it looks like it’s making. 

What is the statement that it's making?

9 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Wouldn’t bother me if St Mirren featured a rainbow flag motif on our change kit. The only question I would have is the motive behind it. Is it part of other, ongoing initiatives the club have? Or, is it merely being used cynically as a device to sell jerseys, and generate publicity for the club. In short, is this being done in the same way as Thistle’s ‘scary yellow mascot’ episode, which got people who wouldn’t normally give a fcuk about Thistle, talking about Thistle.

We're all about being an all inclusive club. We even appointed a cricket fan to the board a couple of months back.

In all seriousness I'd be surprised if it wasn't part of wider initiatives, the club have done other stuff with the LGBT supporters club in the past so it won't just be a gimmick.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

1 hour ago, smpar said:

On the flip side I only ever buy strips once in a blue moon but I'm already far more interested in this than I have been any other away top in recent years. 

8 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

We're all about being an all inclusive club. We even appointed a cricket fan to the board a couple of months back.

In all seriousness I'd be surprised if it wasn't part of wider initiatives, the club have done other stuff with the LGBT supporters club in the past so it won't just be a gimmick.

Please. We had the chairman of the local cricket club doubling up as our chairman for the best part of 20 years.