The Partick Thistle thread

Am I right in saying the players are back in for pre-season next week? I'm sure Caldwell said we'd be back earlier than any other team in Scotland, and considering we normally start in mid-June I've assumed we're bringing it forward a week for this season. 

If that's the case, he hoped to have 16 players in the squad by then. We currently have 14 first team players. Think we'll see a couple in this week?

4 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Am I right in saying the players are back in for pre-season next week? I'm sure Caldwell said we'd be back earlier than any other team in Scotland, and considering we normally start in mid-June I've assumed we're bringing it forward a week for this season. 

If that's the case, he hoped to have 16 players in the squad by then. We currently have 14 first team players. Think we'll see a couple in this week?

Maybe a couple of loans?

Thinking back over the years,

establish themselves?

I don't include McDonald, Cardle etc. who were established players who trained with us for a while before signing.

Way back I can think of Juan Ramon Escalas.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4323901/dundee-morton-gateshead-transfer-news/

This states Tidser is a free agent after his PCA was voided after Falkirks relegation. He would be a good signing though perhaps a bit similar to Bannigan and Slater but be worth it just to see the seethe from the Simple-Ton fans!!! 

31 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

Thinking back over the years,

establish themselves?

I don't include McDonald, Cardle etc. who were established players who trained with us for a while before signing.

Way back I can think of Juan Ramon Escalas.

Eh? 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4323901/dundee-morton-gateshead-transfer-news/

This states Tidser is a free agent after his PCA was voided after Falkirks relegation. He would be a good signing though perhaps a bit similar to Bannigan and Slater but be worth it just to see the seethe from the Simple-Ton fans!!! 

Tidser can’t run, he swivels well, hasn’t a beard & his left foot is a Diamond. Unique, so your theory is disastrous. Caldwell to be gone by Oct btw.

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Eh? 

Have we ever gained anything having a series of trialists  show up for pre season every year before disappearing into obscurity/  They usually appear at Garscube for a couple of days, we speculate on who they are, and then they disappear again.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

It's early in pre-season but not sure if "Simple-Ton" will be beaten in the thread's worst patter stakes for quite a while. 

Wouldn't guarantee it Pie. You are a regular poster on here....lol

Have we ever gained anything having a series of trialists  show up for pre season every year before disappearing into obscurity/  They usually appear at Garscube for a couple of days, we speculate on who they are, and then they disappear again.

Ntambwe, Mutumbo and Storer were all decent.

2 hours ago, Big Dan said:

Don't see the harm really, a lot will be jersey fillers when the squad numbers are low and allow folk to be assessed in 11 a side (albeit non competitive) games. Craig Slater was a trialist last season, but as mentioned so was Jack Storer. 

If your point is about unknowns / obscure footballers, I guess it's down to how closely folk follow every level of football. I'd certainly never heard of Gary Harkins (1st time round) or Abdul Osman when we signed them after a trial, but both did very well (OK, in Osman's case for a couple of seasons).  In fact Harkins played at Stenny  in a friendly and we had some Eastern European bloke on trial as well, I assumed Harkins was the Eastern European one from the way he looked and played.

I think you should be allowed to play a limited amount of trialists in the league cup group stage tbh. Hardly gaming the system if Albion Rovers have a right back playing for them they're not sure if they want to waste a wage on until they've seen him play a couple of games.

Edited by Fuctifano

Would be great to see him in Serie A, but would be hoping he goes for more than something in the £1m range.

Based on transfer fees these days in English football, surely they could get more than that from the likes of a Middlesbrough or West Brom.