The Partick Thistle thread

5 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

It will be funny if we get George Oakley in.

Would be a good signing but from Oakleys perspective it makes little sense other than getting more money. 

Graham has another season in him as first choice striker so you’d imagine any striker that Thistle sign will have a tough job competing with him. Oakley himself isn’t a young player who will be prepared to wait for his chance. Unless of course Doolan is changing the shape or style but even then I’m not sure how well it will work having two target men style strikers playing together. 

Crawfords probably been our most consistent player over the last two years and will be pretty gutted to see him go. (Alongside Oakley and Strapp)

Surprised if a deal has been done before you know which league you will be in but if you are in the Championship next season, he will be very good for you IMO. Works his absolute arse off for 90 minutes. Its def not a dull signing.

Local rag saying we offered same length of deal so obviously came down to wages.

He was one I thought we'd hang onto as he's been quiet for a while now wish him all the best, probably the last big contract for him.

Big rebuild for us this summer.

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Would be a good signing but from Oakleys perspective it makes little sense other than getting more money. 

Graham has another season in him as first choice striker so you’d imagine any striker that Thistle sign will have a tough job competing with him. Oakley himself isn’t a young player who will be prepared to wait for his chance. Unless of course Doolan is changing the shape or style but even then I’m not sure how well it will work having two target men style strikers playing together. 

I think if Doolan had wanted to go with a front two he had plenty of chances with Adeloye this season but I think both him and Graham only both started once -away to QP - when it was forced by injuries to other attacking players.

Whoever signs as Adeloye's replacement is as you say going to be in the same boat as backup to Graham as a sole centre forward and either replacing Graham as a sub, or coming off the bench to make a front two when we're chasing a game. although in Tomi's case it just meant moving from one bench to another.

That said, Graham's record where he's getting better every season isn't going to continue (though I look forward to winning the champions league with a 50 year old centre forward if it does) and he's missed almost no time at all through injury in the last 3 seasons which is also less likely to persist. So whoever comes in might think that a drop-off is due or if they sign for two years then they'll be the first choice striker in 2025/6.

This is all on the high likelihood we don't win the playoffs of course. I'm fully up for us signing a load of good championship players then stumbling into the Premiership, having to loan out more folk than Man City.

Edited by Fuctifano

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He's 28 so has a good couple of seasons ahead of him.

Aside from a better contract possibly, he maybe sees Thistle as a better chance of challenging at the top of next season's league or even an outside chance of playing in the Premiership.

There is obviously the fact Brian Graham is in situ and has had a brilliant season. Has also played an amazing amount of time for a guy his age over the last few seasons with us.

However we do need another experienced striker I feel as next in line is Ricco Diack who looks a very good prospect but I'm not sure we'd have him as first place back up yet.

Tomi Adeloye was happy to come up and scored a few goals at a rapid rate.

I am obviously speculating but I could see someone like Oakley being on Doolan's list of signing targets.

Thinking back to our old first division title winning team Kris Doolan and Stevie Craig shared the #9 role to good effect.

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think he will have to change shape or style as Lawless won’t be back until the new year at least. We haven’t been scoring as freely lately(Airdrie game aside). The other thing to take account of is that as part of Graham’s new deal that he got there was a coaching element, so maybe he won’t play so much.

"To be honest, losing to Airdrie would not be the end of the world for me. But also, f**k them and I hope we smash them.”

Is there still as much needle between Thistle and Airdrie as there used to be? Scott Fleming has been speaking to fans on both sides. Things seem to have chilled a fair bit in recent years, but they've not met with so much on the line as there is tonight. Could be tasty...

Read his special report for Nutmeg here

6 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

I think he will have to change shape or style as Lawless won’t be back until the new year at least. We haven’t been scoring as freely lately(Airdrie game aside). The other thing to take account of is that as part of Graham’s new deal that he got there was a coaching element, so maybe he won’t play so much.

Was it? Don’t remember that. Graham’s got to be among the busiest men in football already I can’t imagine he’d be taking on any more work. And try telling him he won’t be playing as much next season, especially having just hit 24 goals. 

TJF's 20th Thistle Pin is announced today and it's a stormer! We've taken the opportunity to fast-forward some ideas on the player's profile pages, see what you think per below, all critique welcome.

07-May-2024 Telling the Partick Thistle story whilst raising a few quid for the club is a win-win all day, and The Jags Foundation have today announced that Aidan Fitzpatrick (20 direct goal involvements this season) and Brian Graham (20 league goals this season) are the latest co-stars for the 20th Thistle Pin! (Precision engineering, we like that.) The 'Boing Boing Pin' will go on sale on the online TJF shop (accessible by members only) on Wednesday 8th May at 7pm. By purchasing yours, you help TJF to meet their £10kpm pledge to the Football Club and £2kpm pledge to the Youth Academy, while also supporting good causes in the wider Thistle community.

07-May-2024 Aidan Fitzpatrick (New 'Summary Totals' idea implemented; 'Bio Extra' entry expanded; 'Every Game' tab introduced; 'Every Goal' tab now hyperlinked to match hubs; 'Scrapbook' tab introduced; 'Gallery' tab introduced; in-lockdown interview added to 'Video' tab. Aidan is the co-star of the 20th Jags Foundation pin announced today!)

07-May-2024 Brian Graham (New 'Summary Totals' idea implemented; 'Bio Extra' entry updated; 'Every Game' tab introduced; 'Every Goal' tab now hyperlinked to match hubs; extra entries added to 'Scrapbook' tab; 'Gallery' tab greatly expanded. Brian is the co-star of the 20th Jags Foundation pin announced today!)

tweet.jpg

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

Was it? Don’t remember that. Graham’s got to be among the busiest men in football already I can’t imagine he’d be taking on any more work. And try telling him he won’t be playing as much next season, especially having just hit 24 goals. 

When he signed his contract extension(to summer 2026)in December, the blurb says it includes a player/coach role in future seasons. 

20 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

I think it's clear Crawford is an upgrade on Alston, squad-wise, but it's not exactly a signing that reeks of enthusiasm.

Yes, for that you'd need a signing like Rumarn Burrell to get the fans suitably enthused! 

8 hours ago, Braesoyetts said:

Does anyone here listen to the Draw, Lose, Draw podcast.  And if so, how is it? 

I do, although not every episode, and it’s alright. It’s clearly not intended to be serious but it’s about what you’d expect from a couple of punters doing a podcast about their own team.