The Partick Thistle thread

If they had taken the decision to end the season 2 days later, then your own team could quite conceivably have been the ones relegated rather than Partick and I'd doubt very much if you'd all have shrugged it off quite so easily as you're making out. For the record, I still think it's a disgraceful decision (and that's coming from an Ayr fan), however with Scottish football and the horse trading which goes on, it's maybe too early to think anything's done and dusted as the spectre of "league reconstruction" is still hanging around and I'm sure we wont have heard the last of it yet. 

A few hours might have done it.  We were due to play your lot on the Friday that saw the plug pulled.  I'd imagine a defeat, or maybe even a draw - I've not worked it out - would have taken our points per game average below Thistle's. You'll not catch me claiming that we've been anything other than bloody lucky here.  I do however totally reject the suggestion that Thistle have been singled out for punishment, or that the method worked out is absolutely outrageous and unfathomable.  

There’s been some real fantasy stuff latterly on this thread but Ayr United winning at Palmerston is surely stretching credibility too far. [emoji6]

59 minutes ago, MallanandFlanagan said:
1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:
Personally I wouldn’t piss in Morton, Ayr or Queen of the South’s Save the Ton/Sons/South buckets if the notes in them were on fire.

Not really surprising this is your attitude after all the mocking and nastiness spewed out on Queens after you beat us in the last game of the season last year.

Queen of the South are a nasty Tory-voting outfit whose only redeeming feature is Palmerston. If they go insolvent I can only hope it is preserved as the Museum of Karma.

Edited by Ad Lib

Bitterness? Lol. You lot have been nothing but bitter since McCall came back to us.

Fantasy stuff
Personally I wouldn’t piss in Morton, Ayr or Queen of the South’s Save the Ton/Sons/South buckets if the notes in them were on fire.

No one is going to be struggling at the loss of the away crowds Partick Thistle bring.

11 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Queen of the South are a nasty Tory-voting outfit whose only redeeming feature is Palmerston. If they go insolvent I can only hope it is preserved as the Museum of Karma.

I don't think universal suffrage extends to entities like football clubs.  More of an individual thing really.

On 17/04/2020 at 18:04, DA Baracus said:

A bit.

It's been covered before but I'll do it again:

- They will be able to generate other revenue: Not extending this season at least lets us know that there will be an attempt to start the new one in August or September. It also lets clubs know which league they'll be in. This gives them a much better basis for selling season tickets and gives fans a better basis for buying them. Likewise sponsors, be it shirt sponsors, pitch side advertising etc. Clubs can also start selling hospitality for games once a fixture list is published. Extending this season won't allow that until the season is ended, or at least won't be as attractive to fans since in many cases they won't know yet which league they'll be in.

- Finishing the season means clubs won't have to extend contracts or sign new players earlier than they intended. This also means they won't have to pay for their entire squad and backroom team in full for however long it takes to finish the season. They'd have to do this with little to no income coming in, and they'd be paying for it over periods they never budgeted for. Some clubs don't sign players until shortly before the season starts to save on costs. 

Does this not completely shaft the players though, in the event that the following season doesn't restart as scheduled ?

If this season (and associated contracts) were extended, then the Government furlough scheme would cover the players at no additional expense to the clubs.

As has also been covered before, nobody knows what's going to happen, it's all just speculation based upon Economic factors rather than Health factors and that's what makes all the talk of "looking after the players health" so disingenuous.

There's no right or wrong answers and nobody has a crystal ball, however I still stick by my original thoughts that there would have far been better and fairer ways of doing this had money not been the driving force behind it all and it really didn't need to be.

2 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

You still aren't taking this at all well, are you?  Have you considered therapy?

You should.

6 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Lee Gray is apparently a 'died in the woo'l Jags fan. Who knew?

Les? Does he not hang out with Robert Carlyle, Billy Connolly and <insert name of any Glesga luvvie here> in Munn's before games?

Edited by Dr Koop

8 minutes ago, Dr Koop said:

Les? Does he not hang out with Robert Carlyle, Billy Connolly and <insert name of any Glesga luvvie here> in Munn's before games?

I've no idea? 🤷

10 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Typical of your fellow Ayr fans. Deluded .

You're not seriously suggesting that the Pertyck travelling support is particularly significant to other teams' finances, are you? 

Are you a Falkirk fan in disguise? 

25 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

You're not seriously suggesting that the Pertyck travelling support is particularly significant to other teams' finances, are you? 

I'm not sure if there's some wooshception going on here, but I thought the original point from Ad Lib was that if Covid brings certain clubs to their knee's he's not going to give them a penny, not that a boycott would cause it...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

13 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I'm not sure if there's some wooshception going on here, but I thought the original point from Ad Lib was that if Covid brings certain clubs to their knee's he's not going to give them a penny, not that a boycott would cause it...

First,  mine was a reply to that Magyar minter, who in turn was responding to an Ayr fan. 

Second, good of ad lib to make his (non) charitable intentions known, no-one would likely have noticed (or cared) otherwise. 

Those two seem to be among the more unhinged of your support right now. 

10 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

I’m not really arsed about boycotts, etc as by the time we finally get back to football being played in front of crowds I think we’ll be happy to go to any game we can. That said, there’s no denying it’s financially beneficial to certain clubs to have teams nearby with bigger away supports in their league. The Forfar chairman suggested 4 fixtures vs us and Falkirk would be roughly £75k-100k extra for his budget in a season, and it’s safe to assume that in Thistle’s case we’d take double the fans to someone local like Morton or Ayr as we would to Forfar. So I’d say based on his estimates that yes, you are looking at a pretty decent sum of cash for this level.

As an aside, “Pertyck” is an appalling attempt at patter. 

12 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I’m not really arsed about boycotts, etc as by the time we finally get back to football being played in front of crowds I think we’ll be happy to go to any game we can. That said, there’s no denying it’s financially beneficial to certain clubs to have teams nearby with bigger away supports in their league. The Forfar chairman suggested 4 fixtures vs us and Falkirk would be roughly £75k-100k extra for his budget in a season, and it’s safe to assume that in Thistle’s case we’d take double the fans to someone local like Morton or Ayr as we would to Forfar. So I’d say based on his estimates that yes, you are looking at a pretty decent sum of cash for this level.

Surely though, that's somewhat offset by having a couple of "big" clubs in the division, whose presence makes the chances of promotion for a side like Forfar significantly more remote.

Remember what income at football clubs is actually for.  Far too many see acquiring it as some sort of end in itself.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Does this not completely shaft the players though, in the event that the following season doesn't restart as scheduled ?

If this season (and associated contracts) were extended, then the Government furlough scheme would cover the players at no additional expense to the clubs.

That's a very big "IF". I don't think the issues around extending playing contracts or otherwise are any more or less likely to be sorted regardless of whether the season is completed or not. As has been said countless times, no matter how much you'd like it to be the case, you cannot make employees remain with one employee longer if they don't want to.

In any event, the notion that the furlough scheme covers players at "no cost" is only valid for medium or low paid players where the club are not topping up the wage. Plus there are still cash flow issues in paying them.