The Partick Thistle thread

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The scheduling or otherwise of the Euros is not going to make one iota of difference to the relegation issues in the Championship.

Fair point - I can agree it will be more dependent on when football fixtures are allowed to restart generally, and the Championship will will not be a prime consideration in that respect.

If we said that the season resumed on 1 June, would Thistle start better then than if we’d kept on now?

Some will disagree, but I think we’re a much better team that our position. We will much better than Dunfermline. There’s a poison around the team that just won’t shift at the moment but could disappear over a few months?

2 hours ago, JudgeMudge said:

If we said that the season resumed on 1 June, would Thistle start better then than if we’d kept on now?

Some will disagree, but I think we’re a much better team that our position. We will much better than Dunfermline. There’s a poison around the team that just won’t shift at the moment but could disappear over a few months?

I would think that a June the 1st re-start is hugely optimistic. The delay phase the government has moved us on to is "hoping" to move the peak infection to 10 - 12 weeks. So say the numbers of new infections then start to slow it could be months before they are low enough for life to return to normal. With no training getting done the players will then need a pre-season, the loan players will have returned to their parent clubs. So what state will we and probably all other clubs be in by then? Time for a major re-structure of leagues, club financing and seasons.

12 hours ago, JudgeMudge said:

Why are we getting it so tight?

Dear Thistle supporters,

It’s ‪3pm on Saturday‬ and we all hoped you’d be cheering on the team at Firhill but matters outwith anyone’s control mean that is not the case.

The most important thing to say at this moment is that the health and wellbeing of everyone is far, far more important than football, or any sport. The club, including myself, absolutely support the measures that have been put in place to safeguard people as much as possible.

It is an unprecedented situation and one with which it is impossible to predict what happens next. All we can do is continue to follow the advice that is been given by experts and look after each other as much as possible.

The Thistle support has been unbelievable in its backing for me, my staff and the team since I returned to Firhill. We know this year – and recent years – have been far from easy and we know that where we are right now isn’t where any of us want the club to be.

In the absence of match programme notes it’s also fair to say that the last three games, specifically the last two and half games, have been such a big improvement in terms of the team’s performances. Yes, we’ve emerged with three draws when we feel we should have won more points, but we were all feeling much better about the quality of performance on the pitch and felt the results we all want would follow.

Your backing this month has been outstanding – in particular the support we enjoyed at Tannadice was unbelievable – so I want to personally thank each and every supporter at these games for really getting behind the boys, and to all fans for their support throughout the season.

We hope to be back playing football in front of you very soon. However, for now, the most important thing is your wellbeing so please look after yourselves and each other in the weeks ahead.

Partick Thistle Football Club is a family and we are all part of that. It is a privilege to be manager of this club and we hope to be back doing what we all love very soon.

Until then, stay safe and take very good care of you and yours.

Ian McCall.

19 hours ago, JudgeMudge said:

A45EF609-7530-433A-A8B9-C504869633A1.gif.da25bf2cadecf9c06311b7a196c22a01.gif

On 13/03/2020 at 13:35, John MacLean said:

There is another solution. 

We simply pick up the current season from where we left it when football starts up again irrespective of when that is and irrespective of the composition of squads given likely contract expiry if it is a prolonged abeyance . 

Once 19/20 is finally completed the new season starts immediately and/or is run in an abridged format (play each other twice instead of four times) depending on timescales. 

On 13/03/2020 at 17:59, Skyline Drifter said:

I suggested this was a possibility myself earlier but it has a very obvious problem in that you'd have to contract players for next "season" without knowing what division you'd be in until you'd played a month worth of fixtures. A very different playing budget exists depending on what division you are in.

But the issue with that is players are out of contract 31 May / 9 June and then moved on. Doesn't matter how many spare months you have after that if you've no players left.

There's merit in your post John, and fairness at play too. As Skyline posts, the obstacle to this is the players. Contracts and welfare.

Some players are contracted until May cos this saves clubs paying them over close season. So contracts will need to be re written or extended. 

Also, remember John, this is not a holiday period for the players. They are not going for a holiday in the sun with their families, no break from training for them. So under your proposal, sensible and fair as it is, there is no break for the players.

Timescales are unknown here, no one knows when we will all be back playing. If at all possible, we finish the league when it is safe to do so. Play all outstanding games for this current season as a priority. Once that is done we can decide what happens with the next season. Even if we don't get back to playing until September, we must complete the league.

Thereafter, we will know how long the next season will be and can decide what happens with fixtures, how many games can be squeezed in. I'd support, even if it was say only half of the normal number of games, we as supporters still pay full fare for season tickets and pay extra for a one off season, even double the gate price if only half the games, so that our clubs aren't too much out of pocket. Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

On 13/03/2020 at 15:51, CrimeWritingJag said:

I know there are mixed feelings on this thread about the WAT forum, but I’ve been trying to get registered for months and it still says ‘awaiting approval’. Anyone on here in the know or are they not letting anyone else on due to the high number of mental posters (which I say somewhat affectionately). 

Don't do it!!!!! I am serving a self imposed exile and feel so much better for it. As perhaps Barney will agree, there are a few sensible posters of which he is one but in the main, they are mostly egotistical self appointed shamelessly arrogant p***ks full of their own verbosity.

I completely cancelled but at Christmas I tried to rejoin only to catch up with old chums and have never been added either. Pretty chaotic management but to be fair it's not his full time job and he is out of the country a lot. You're better off on here🙃

3 hours ago, banditjag said:

Don't do it!!!!! I am serving a self imposed exile and feel so much better for it. As perhaps Barney will agree, there are a few sensible posters of which he is one but in the main, they are mostly egotistical self appointed shamelessly arrogant p***ks full of their own verbosity.

I completely cancelled but at Christmas I tried to rejoin only to catch up with old chums and have never been added either. Pretty chaotic management but to be fair it's not his full time job and he is out of the country a lot. You're better off on here🙃

:wacko:

12 hours ago, JudgeMudge said:

Most of the chatter seems to suggest we’re to be relegated. Seems unfair but perhaps they’re relying on people have more things to worry about right now.

"Most of the chatter" is very excited Greenock fans saying we're down. I think they'd be better holding off for a few weeks until believing all their dreams have all come true.

Edited by milhouse

It's an odd situation to be in.  By all rights we deserve to go down, we've been utterly catastrophic, and should the season play to completion, I expect we'd probably be down of our own accord.  

BUT, I'd expect us - and by extension every other club affected by calling the season - to be livid.  Hearts and Falkirk spring to mind immediately, but basically everyone who had a sniff of a promotion playoff.  Voiding the season would have the least impact in terms of pissed off parties, that's what we should be doing.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

It's an odd situation to be in.  By all rights we deserve to go down, we've been utterly catastrophic, and should the season play to completion, I expect we'd probably be down of our own accord.  

BUT, I'd expect us - and by extension every other club affected by calling the season - to be livid.  Hearts and Falkirk spring to mind immediately, but basically everyone who had a sniff of a promotion playoff.  Voiding the season would have the least impact in terms of pissed off parties, that's what we should be doing.

Dunno if it's just sheer pessimism brought on by all things Thistle over the last 3 years, but as things stand I'm significantly more concerned about the chances for clubs trying to keep the lights on than finishing this current season...

Saying that it's maybe a nice exercise to try to avoid worrying about shortages of essentials due to complete fucktards, so why not.

I think if they do call the season on the final standings there'd be no promotion or relegation across the divisions, would more be for determining European places and prize money. 

Would be pretty shitty but there's a feeling of everyone across football just trying to go "what's the least-worst option" about the current mess.

17 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

We all know it's between us, Thistle and Alloa. I wouldn't be against some kind of round robin type competition between the 3 of us over the course of a couple of weeks.

What would really rip my nipple rings would be calling an end to the season without Thistle's game in hand being played.

Edited by Dr Koop
Coronavirus

We all know it's between us, Thistle and Alloa. I wouldn't be against some kind of round robin type competition between the 3 of us over the course of a couple of weeks.

That’s a fairly sensible compromise and could be applied to the promotion play off places too.
The player contracts issue is the same,though, as playing the season to a conclusion

How about
SPFL
Winners as it stands & no relegation

Championship
4 up and no relegation

Div 1
4 up and no relegation

Div 2
4 up and no relegation

2 clubs from each of Highland and Lowland leagues promoted to Div 2

That I think would minimise a lot of grievances, except the obvious mid table teams in the SPFL who rely on 4 games against the Old Firm opposed to playing 1 home and 1 away and still leaves gaps in the season for internationals, cups ect