The Partick Thistle thread

I don’t think we’ve seen a prolonged postponement of the league outright since the outbreak of World War 2? Obviously we’ve had long spates of weather postponements for individual grounds etc but that isn’t the same.

That’s our only precedent. The league was scrapped after 5 games. Null and void.

If we are into (say) May and the season still isn’t up and running again, they surely can’t relegate based on existing or projected standings, especially with so many games still to go. The only equitable thing to do is to declare this league season null and void, and work out a compromise with the big clubs about who should take our European spots next season.

Its the only equitable thing to do. And for once the fair thing is coincidentally in Thistle’s interests.

I suppose one compromise might be to sling the top four teams from the Championship into the Premier for a 1 season only 16 team league, and shunt the top four of each of the other leagues up a league with some sort of reconstruction back to status quo the year after?

10 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I don’t think we’ve seen a prolonged postponement of the league outright since the outbreak of World War 2? Obviously we’ve had long spates of weather postponements for individual grounds etc but that isn’t the same.

That’s our only precedent. The league was scrapped after 5 games. Null and void.

If we are into (say) May and the season still isn’t up and running again, they surely can’t relegate based on existing or projected standings, especially with so many games still to go. The only equitable thing to do is to declare this league season null and void, and work out a compromise with the big clubs about who should take our European spots next season.

Its the only equitable thing to do. And for once the fair thing is coincidentally in Thistle’s interests.

I suppose one compromise might be to sling the top four teams from the Championship into the Premier for a 1 season only 16 team league, and shunt the top four of each of the other leagues up a league with some sort of reconstruction back to status quo the year after?

There is another solution. 

We simply pick up the current season from where we left it when football starts up again irrespective of when that is and irrespective of the composition of squads given likely contract expiry if it is a prolonged abeyance . 

Once 19/20 is finally completed the new season starts immediately and/or is run in an abridged format (play each other twice instead of four times) depending on timescales. 

Edited by John MacLean

I would say the best and most reasonable compromise would be the immediate liquidation of Rangers, and every other team can be bumped up one position.

9 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

We simply pick up the current season from where we left it when football starts up again irrespective of when that is and irrespective of the composition of squads given likely contract expiry if it is a prolonged abeyance . 

Once 19/20 is finally completed the new season starts immediately and/or is run in an abridged format (play each other twice instead of four times) depending on timescales. 

With 8/9 games to go, there is the option of postponing or cancelling next season's League Cup. It could allow the league schedule to be completed in late May, June and July.

Next season's league schedule could be postponed by up to a month if necessary which would also free up August. Plus the play-offs could be replaced with a quicker alternative, e.g. 9th in Championship plays 2nd League One etc, i.e. just a "final" game.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

24 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

No that’s a terrible idea we’ll get relegated.

9 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

With 8/9 games to go, there is the option of postponing or cancelling next season's League Cup. It could allow the league schedule to be completed in late May, June and July.

Next season's league schedule could be postponed by up to a month if necessary which would also free up August. Plus the play-offs could be replaced with a quicker alternative, e.g. 9th in Championship plays 2nd League One etc, i.e. just a "final" game.

There are a number of options for what could be done even if we were to pick things up again from when season 2020-2021 should be starting. Cancel the remainder of this season's Scottish Cup. Something would need to be done about the play-offs. Maybe make them one off ties rather than over two legs. 

If you do the above, do away with the winter break for the Premiership and extend the duration of the season by a few weeks you could complete season 19/20 and finish 20/21 more or less on schedule by taking a few extra measures. As you say cancel the League Cup or at least eliminate the sectional stage and go straight into knock-out. Abandon the Challenge Cup, no Scottish Cup replays. 

All of which is dependent on football being ready to go again by July this year. Four months away around the time about the expected peak in the virus. 

I think of the two "nuclear" options that void is more likely than enforce the positions as they stand, but I assume the season picking up again and a shortened 20/21 season will be the chosen option unless uefa make it clear that's not viable. 

Would like them to come up with some wild solution though, a 42 team league where you only play half the teams in it or something. 

Edit - the obvious issue now is how clubs try and deal with no or vastly reduced income for an unknown number of months. 

Edited by Fuctifano

I know there are mixed feelings on this thread about the WAT forum, but I’ve been trying to get registered for months and it still says ‘awaiting approval’. Anyone on here in the know or are they not letting anyone else on due to the high number of mental posters (which I say somewhat affectionately). 

I know there are mixed feelings on this thread about the WAT forum, but I’ve been trying to get registered for months and it still says ‘awaiting approval’. Anyone on here in the know or are they not letting anyone else on due to the high number of mental posters (which I say somewhat affectionately). 
Thistle has been saved from the dead another lifeline

3 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

PTFC Player of the Year 2019/20: Coronavirus

Possibly. But things could also work the other way.

If the season fails to resume and the current positions are declared final, we could be relegated while not having played as many games as the team directly above us.

Don't get me wrong - no matter what happens with this season, we probably deserve to go down. But the Coronavirus is just as likely (if not more likely) to f**k things up for us than save us.

I think they're essentially waiting for what happens with Euro 2020.  Given that's almost certain not to be happening, that buys them - potentially - a few clear months to satisfy fixtures without affecting next year too much.  Once that domino falls, it's the next one - is this situation "clear" enough to actually play fixtures?

At this stage, voiding the season completely seems like the least unfair option for EVERYONE.  I've seen someone say that it should be void for everyone except Celtic (can you guess who they support?) but it seems like an all or nothing job for me.  Either draw a line in the sand now and declare the positions as they are (and incur the wrath of a huge number of clubs who would "lose" in that situation) or void the whole lot, pretend the year never happened, and we can all (hopefully) start again watching League Cup Diddy Football in late July with the world looking a little nicer.

3 hours ago, John MacLean said:

There are a number of options for what could be done even if we were to pick things up again from when season 2020-2021 should be starting. Cancel the remainder of this season's Scottish Cup. Something would need to be done about the play-offs. Maybe make them one off ties rather than over two legs. 

If you do the above, do away with the winter break for the Premiership and extend the duration of the season by a few weeks you could complete season 19/20 and finish 20/21 more or less on schedule by taking a few extra measures. As you say cancel the League Cup or at least eliminate the sectional stage and go straight into knock-out. Abandon the Challenge Cup, no Scottish Cup replays. 

All of which is dependent on football being ready to go again by July this year. Four months away around the time about the expected peak in the virus. 

I suggested this was a possibility myself earlier but it has a very obvious problem in that you'd have to contract players for next "season" without knowing what division you'd be in until you'd played a month worth of fixtures. A very different playing budget exists depending on what division you are in.

5 minutes ago, forameus said:

I think they're essentially waiting for what happens with Euro 2020.  Given that's almost certain not to be happening, that buys them - potentially - a few clear months to satisfy fixtures without affecting next year too much.  Once that domino falls, it's the next one - is this situation "clear" enough to actually play fixtures?

But the issue with that is players are out of contract 31 May / 9 June and then moved on. Doesn't matter how many spare months you have after that if you've no players left.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

But the issue with that is players are out of contract 31 May / 9 June and then moved on. Doesn't matter how many spare months you have after that if you've no players left.

Very true.  Open trials across the country.  We might do well out of it.

35 minutes ago, forameus said:

At this stage, voiding the season completely seems like the least unfair option for EVERYONE.  I've seen someone say that it should be void for everyone except Celtic (can you guess who they support?) but it seems like an all or nothing job for me.  Either draw a line in the sand now and declare the positions as they are (and incur the wrath of a huge number of clubs who would "lose" in that situation) or void the whole lot, pretend the year never happened, and we can all (hopefully) start again watching League Cup Diddy Football in late July with the world looking a little nicer.

This.

Once UEFA decide what happens with the 2020 tournament, then the National Associations will be able to plan for the remainder of this season's leagues.

Which for Dungdonkeycaster will be how to award Celtic the league without antagonising the **** who were going to lose it themselves anyway.

And how to sort out the bottom of a Championship table that has three teams currently on unequal games.

There is no one size fits all this year. And the powers that be will not find one.