The Partick Thistle thread

3 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

The Bannigan, O’Ware and Penrice extensions look pretty poor decisions on the face of things. 2.5 years for Tam in particular.

I wonder if the fan reaction to Doolan and Erskine’s releases played on McCall’s mind somewhat here, and he wasn’t wanting to be seen as giving up the current “popular” players. And just to be clear, I don’t think a single Thistle fan rates any of these players with the same status as they do Doolan and Erskine... nor do I think McCall would give them that much credit either. But just that he possibly sees these three as the most popular players currently: Bannigan for his length of service, Penrice for being “one of our own” and O’Ware because the younger fans seem to love him for no reason like they did with that loser Spittal.

I’d guess he probably would liked to have ripped the whole thing up and started again, but knew that wasn’t realistic and that had to keep a few of them around - and has picked these players for non-footballing reasons. I hope not, but I’m just trying to find some logic behind extending these guys, as they certainly haven’t been earned on the pitch.

Got to agree. Based on the football they have produced in the last few years, not one of them deserved a contract extension!

6 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

The Bannigan, O’Ware and Penrice extensions look pretty poor decisions on the face of things. 2.5 years for Tam in particular.

I wonder if the fan reaction to Doolan and Erskine’s releases played on McCall’s mind somewhat here, and he wasn’t wanting to be seen as giving up the current “popular” players. And just to be clear, I don’t think a single Thistle fan rates any of these players with the same status as they do Doolan and Erskine... nor do I think McCall would give them that much credit either. But just that he possibly sees these three as the most popular players currently: Bannigan for his length of service, Penrice for being “one of our own” and O’Ware because the younger fans seem to love him for no reason like they did with that loser Spittal.

I’d guess he probably would liked to have ripped the whole thing up and started again, but knew that wasn’t realistic and that had to keep a few of them around - and has picked these players for non-footballing reasons. I hope not, but I’m just trying to find some logic behind extending these guys, as they certainly haven’t been earned on the pitch.

I think he rates Bannigan very highly and wants to build the middle of the park around him.

If suggest we haven't seen anywhere near O'Wares best due to having a selection of absolute fucking idiots playing either side of him. Imagine being a centre half with Wandering Ryan Williamson and Clappy McGinty either side of you. 

20 minutes ago, dave.j said:

Ok. Obviously you've made your mind up and childish sarcasm seeks to be your preferred choice of engagement but...

McCall sees penrice as adequate to see us through to the end of the season. Thinks there might be a player in there who, if he could get his finger out his arse could get a good move. A possible asset.

As such he extends his contract by a further year. It gives Penrice one last chance to prove himself whilst buying time to bring in a better left back in the summer 

We then go into 20/21 with 2 left backs and Penrice having competition for his place for the first time in his career.

It's an 18 month contract. So in an ideal world Penrice will be out of contract as we win the league. That says everything you need to know. McCall doesn't think penrice is good enough to play in the top flight.

Most likely it comes December and Penrice has either lost his place got bored and wants a move or he's playing out his skin and someone comes in with an offer, with hopefully a player there at the club ready to step in.

It might not be what every fan wanted. But from a business perspective I understand why McCall did it. 

Pmsl...i mate you live in a fantasy world...is that winning the 1st division your talking about..he also gave o'ware a new contract when everyone bar his wee fan club know hes pish...so super ians thinking.. we are in a dogfight but I'll give penrice who i dont rate a new deal..hopefully hes brilliant so someone come in and pays money for him..because i know he cant play in the top league 18months from now..🙈

3 minutes ago, IR1970 said:

Pmsl...i mate you live in a fantasy world...is that winning the 1st division your talking about..he also gave o'ware a new contract when everyone bar his wee fan club know hes pish...so super ians thinking.. we are in a dogfight but I'll give penrice who i dont rate a new deal..hopefully hes brilliant so someone come in and pays money for him..because i know he cant play in the top league 18months from now..🙈

Take your time and read through what you're about to post. I'm sure there's a valid point in there, in that big bowl of word salad. 

2 minutes ago, dave.j said:

Take your time and read through what you're about to post. I'm sure there's a valid point in there, in that big bowl of word salad. 

😂😂😂...that penrice is pish but someone is going to pay money for him a year from now...McCall doesnt rate him but were hoping he gets us out this dogfight..i think your trying to be clever ..when actually you dont have a clue...salad 

4 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Being in the know on anything to do with the club is shite. You're stuck between saying nothing to anyone which is no fun at all or being an arsehole and betraying the confidence of whoever told you and potentially either damaging the club or getting someone into bother. It's only going to get worse as we become fan owned too as there'll be enough people involved who can't keep their mouth shut. 

I've no idea why anyone would want to know we're signing Zak Rudden 2 or 3 days before everyone else finds out or who our kit supplier is.. 

Think a lot of the leaks come from McCall and his son..

21 minutes ago, IR1970 said:

😂😂😂...that penrice is pish but someone is going to pay money for him a year from now...McCall doesnt rate him but were hoping he gets us out this dogfight..i think your trying to be clever ..when actually you dont have a clue...salad 

What you talking about? 

1 hour ago, dave.j said:

I think he rates Bannigan very highly and wants to build the middle of the park around him.

If suggest we haven't seen anywhere near O'Wares best due to having a selection of absolute fucking idiots playing either side of him. Imagine being a centre half with Wandering Ryan Williamson and Clappy McGinty either side of you. 

Yeah, and I’m not sure wanting to build around Bannigan is the wisest idea. A guy who has given a lot for the club, but let’s be honest, has only had a handful of good performances for us in the past three years.

It’ll be good to see O’Ware next to Brownlie for an extended run of games, and on paper that’s a decent pairing at this level (or a very good one at the one below...). But so far Tam looks very like the player Morton fans warned us about; a lot of pointing and shouting, a positive threat from attacking set pieces, but not much actual defending.

1 hour ago, cilitbang said:

Hope the O’neills thing is true. 
No more crappy Joma training kit templates used for shirts + I get to buy a Thistle surfboard 😎

Bohemians’ kit for this season is made by O’Neills and it’s cracking.

Not really arsed if it’s O’Neills or not, but anything other than Joma would be refreshing.

Agree with a lot of the above, I could understand the extension for Bannigan - this is his level at best now, even then he's not a standout, and from his point of view the extra security was probably a good deal. Also telling that McCall shipped out Slater and Palmer who were the most similar midfielders in terms of style to Bannigan. 

Penrice I think is too slow to be a good full back and his forays into midfield this season have been disastrous. He's lucky his competition at left back this year looks like someone who literally won a competition to be a footballer for a year. Could just about support another year for Penrice on the basis that he's young and if we ever get a team that's successful he might improve.

O'Ware I couldn't get at all. The mainstay of the worst defence in the league, again like Banzo coming off a bad injury, 2 and a half years seems mental.

Regarding January in general, I obviously don't know who else we did try and sign or who was available but the two things I thought we missed out on were an experienced CB like Anderson last year, and a winger (not counting Lyons as I presume the plan was to loan him back all along). McCall must think that O'Ware and Brownlie with Saunders and possibly Mayo as backup will do. Cardle and Zanatta haven't been good enough, and f**k knows how bad Austin must be if he can't get a game ahead of them, we might get to find out on Friday.

Looking at the squad after the Ayr game I thought we were going to play either a 3-5-2 or a narrow 4-4-2 diamond with no wingers, not go back to 4-3-3.

Also, this might be personal bias but let's not sign anyone on loan from either of the OF ever again.

11 minutes ago, Reid said:

At least we’ll be able scud both Clyde and Airdrie 4 times a season.

Doubt it. I think most of us expected to be winning more often than we were losing when we got relegated to the Championship, and that's been far from reality...