The Partick Thistle thread

17 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

We're moving from Joma to O'Neills (mainly make GAA shirts) but depending on who you believe it's either been done for months, nearly done, confidential or not confidential. Great fun. 

You forgot to mention that the news was posted by Javeajag. One of We are Thistle's Grade A Bellends and someone who has managed to obtain quite a few boardroom exclusives over the last year or so. Which is odd as he's made it plain he can't keep his trap shut. 

As to whether not it's worth getting into a hissy fit about this news getting leaked or not, all I'd say is that if O'Neill are expanding into football and the mainland UK market for the first time, I'd imagine they and the Club would have preferred a bigger marketing opportunity, than some arrogant tit on WAT sharing his, look at me I'm in the know, info. 

Being in the know on anything to do with the club is shite. You're stuck between saying nothing to anyone which is no fun at all or being an arsehole and betraying the confidence of whoever told you and potentially either damaging the club or getting someone into bother. It's only going to get worse as we become fan owned too as there'll be enough people involved who can't keep their mouth shut. 

I've no idea why anyone would want to know we're signing Zak Rudden 2 or 3 days before everyone else finds out or who our kit supplier is.. 

37 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Tales. Penrice is a freeloader. 

I kinda get this. I too have been verbally critical at games if his positioning and his distribution. It's hard as a fan without having played at this level, as one murder MacLeod used to say, to judge with any great position of authority. I do think he gives his full effort but pretty much most games his concentration let's him down at times. I get why you say he gets a slightly easier time cos he is deemed to be one of our own, but perhaps it's also cos he keeps trying and doesn't try to hide?

1 minute ago, banditjag said:

I kinda get this. I too have been verbally critical at games if his positioning and his distribution. It's hard as a fan without having played at this level, as one murder MacLeod used to say, to judge with any great position of authority. I do think he gives his full effort but pretty much most games his concentration let's him down at times. I get why you say he gets a slightly easier time cos he is deemed to be one of our own, but perhaps it's also cos he keeps trying and doesn't try to hide?

Really? Just shows how differently people view it.

Id say hiding is exactly what he does. watch the amount of times he immediately gives the ball straight back to the person who just gave him it. Watch how many times he moves the ball on but then doesn't make himself available to receive the ball in a new area of the pitch. watch how little he breaks beyond the ball into an overlapping position. He's a bog standard Left Back and an accurate reflection of where we as a Club find ourselves. Sleep Walking into mediocrity.

4 minutes ago, dave.j said:

Id say hiding is exactly what he does. watch the amount of times he immediately gives the ball straight back to the person who just gave him it. Watch how many times he moves the ball on but then doesn't make himself available to receive the ball in a new area of the pitch. watch how little he breaks beyond the ball into an overlapping position. He's a bog standard Left Back and an accurate reflection of where we as a Club find ourselves. Sleep Walking into mediocrity.

I will, next match. 

Don't agree we are sleep walking anymore. We've arrived at mediocrity last season and have been getting worse ever since. We are the worst team in this league no arguement. Despite McCall's comments after Saturday, I suspect he knew that we were in a dogfight before he even came to us.

I agree Penrice is poor but he's not alone. Can't see us staying up, go down, re group, come back in a better position? 

1 hour ago, dave.j said:

But super ian McCall has just gave him a new contract..didnt even bring anybody in to challenge him...f**k he even tried him in midfield when Slater was on the bench...surely ian hasnt got this wrong...

16 minutes ago, IR1970 said:

But super ian McCall has just gave him a new contract..didnt even bring anybody in to challenge him...f**k he even tried him in midfield when Slater was on the bench...surely ian hasnt got this wrong...

Gave him an 18 month Contract. Says all you need to know. He'll be gone in 12 months. Nominal fee.

3 minutes ago, IR1970 said:

That McCall and archie havent a fucking clue...

Ok. Obviously you've made your mind up and childish sarcasm seeks to be your preferred choice of engagement but...

McCall sees penrice as adequate to see us through to the end of the season. Thinks there might be a player in there who, if he could get his finger out his arse could get a good move. A possible asset.

As such he extends his contract by a further year. It gives Penrice one last chance to prove himself whilst buying time to bring in a better left back in the summer 

We then go into 20/21 with 2 left backs and Penrice having competition for his place for the first time in his career.

It's an 18 month contract. So in an ideal world Penrice will be out of contract as we win the league. That says everything you need to know. McCall doesn't think penrice is good enough to play in the top flight.

Most likely it comes December and Penrice has either lost his place got bored and wants a move or he's playing out his skin and someone comes in with an offer, with hopefully a player there at the club ready to step in.

It might not be what every fan wanted. But from a business perspective I understand why McCall did it.