The Partick Thistle thread

MacKinnon definitely gives us grit (and, weirdly, intelligence) in midfield and as such, is certainly not done.   Graham is a big upgrade on Kenny Miller. 

Overall we look OK now and McCall has obviously recruited well to get most of Caldwell (and Archibald)'s dreadful non-footballers to f*ck,  but given that we're still rock bottom having played the most games,  escaping the bottom two places will be a pretty close-run thing if we manage it.  Can imagine us facing Falkirk in a play-off between the last two seasons' two most over-financed, under-delivering, chaotic laughing stocks. 

After all these years, I still hate Scott Fox.  There's no need for opposition teams to even take their penalties - just go straight to the centre circle and kick off the game again.

18 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

MacKinnon definitely gives us grit (and, weirdly, intelligence) in midfield and as such, is certainly not done.   Graham is a big upgrade on Kenny Miller. 

Yeah, MacKinnon has looked like a better player on the ball than I remembered him being for Accies. I thought he’d just be charging about tackling everything that moved, but he actually looks like a tidy player. If he can get up to speed he’ll be useful.

Some of our fans really like to chew on stats, so I've compiled a few for consideration. This isn't an attempt to launch an attack on/mount a defence of anyone.

My takeaways...Caldwell completely blew it in the summer after a decent enough second half of the season and was deservedly sacked. But McCall's now at the stage where excuses are starting to wear thin.

McCall's 17 league games in charge:

6 wins, 8 losses, 3 draws

21 points from 51

23 scored, 30 conceded

Caldwell's last 17 league games in charge:

5 wins, 7 losses, 5 draws

20 points from 51

25 scored, 26 conceded

Caldwell's first 17 league games in charge:

4 wins, 9 losses, 4 draws

16 points from 51

17 scored, 27 conceded

League results from 1 January 2020 onward:

0 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses

2 points from 12

4 scored, 8 conceded

First 4 league games in 2019:

2 wins, 2 draws, 0 losses

8 points from 12

6 scored, 4 conceded

7 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

I think McKinnon was taken off because he’s still not up to full fitness as yet. We definitely missed him when he went off though, as we don’t have anyone else who can do that job. Didn’t help that Barjonas was atrocious when he came on as well.

Headless chicken 

Any suggestion we fell apart after MacKinnon was subbed is fanciful. The game naturally opened up as both teams pressed for the winner.

As for headless chickens, that label could easily be hung on Rudden. I genuinely can't remember him doing anything other than running into opposition players. I don't doubt for a minute he'll show up better when he's free from injury, but it was an uninspiring cameo.

1 hour ago, Nizzy said:

As for headless chickens, that label could easily be hung on Rudden. I genuinely can't remember him doing anything other than running into opposition players. I don't doubt for a minute he'll show up better when he's free from injury, but it was an uninspiring cameo.

Once Rudden was on, the service to both him and Graham was appalling. As soon as he gets decent service, he’ll do fine. VS Celtic, he set Miller up for an open goal and played well in general. 

1 hour ago, Nizzy said:

Any suggestion we fell apart after MacKinnon was subbed is fanciful. The game naturally opened up as both teams pressed for the winner.

Who suggested we fell apart when MacKinnon went off?

Vinny Ferguson, on Twitter. Bit of cross platform chatter. Dropped in here as MacKinnon's performance is being discussed and I periodically deactivate my Twitter account.

Anything else I can clear up?

Just now, weetoonlad said:
28 minutes ago, dave.j said:
Who suggested we fell apart when MacKinnon went off?

Thought he was poor for a top div player very very poor chased a lost cause all game . headless chicken lol lol

And yet he outpaced Kerr at one point for a loose ball with Kerr having a couple of yards start. Lol

2 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

And yet he outpaced Kerr at one point for a loose ball with Kerr having a couple of yards start. Lol

Pmsl...brilliant he out run mark kerr...thought he was poor..but we are stuck with this squad...13 cup finals..I'll get behind all the players...even oware was better on friday...but again 1 mistake costs us...still not making enough chances either...

Lol. A raw nerve hit.
No. MacKinnon outpacing Kerr brought a bit of levity to proceedings at a point where the game was threatening to boil over. A moment for Darian's highlights reel.