The Partick Thistle thread

Considering how many games McGinty started for us, he would have been up for every single corner, free kick, long throw in every game for 2 years and I can't remember him scoring a single goal.  That's either statistically extremely unlucky or some other reason...

Good luck to the guy though. I don't think giving him bags of abuse after he's been offloaded does anyone any good...

18 minutes ago, Partick Monkey said:

Considering how many games McGinty started for us, he would have been up for every single corner, free kick, long throw in every game for 2 years and I can't remember him scoring a single goal.  That's either statistically extremely unlucky or some other reason...

Good luck to the guy though. I don't think giving him bags of abuse after he's been offloaded does anyone any good...

He never scored for us. And yeah, for a guy his size and the frequency of him being in the opposition box, it is a pretty poor return. Apart from once quite recently (can’t remember the game) where he had a header cleared off the line, I don’t remember him being particularly close to scoring either.

Might be that his positioning and anticipation are poor, or perhaps he’s just lacking in the bravery to attack a cross in the box. Either way, he can’t defend and he offers nothing in an attacking sense, so good riddance.

2 hours ago, madton said:

It doesn't sound good at all but I'm curious to know why he has played pretty much every game for you since he joined in the Summer of 2018?

If he was as bad as most fans make out, why was he continually selected by Archibald, Caldwell and then McCall?  If he was that pish, surely he would have been dropped and/or replaced during the 3 transfer windows he has been there. You must have had other options?

With Peter Grant this season for example, we thought we were signing someone decent, turned out he was pish, he was subsequently dropped and then left in the 1st transfer window available.

I'm not expecting much but Dunfermline fans laughed when we signed Ross Forbes and he was brilliant for us so we live in hope. He must be better than Grant.

Because Archibald panicked with signings in his final window pretty much right across the back four, because Tam O’Ware got injured really early on, because Tam O’Ware then fell out with Caldwell, because Caldwell was atrocious (though even he took McGinty off and made a young left back play at centre half instead of him one game) and because McCall has occasionally wanted to play with 3 at the back and O’Ware and Saunders have at various points been suspended or not match fit.

Rarely if ever has the reason McGinty’s been playing because “he’s done a good job”. His time at the club, and playing regularly, has coincided with one of the worst defensive spells the Club has had in decades. With the exception of a short spell when Anderson shored up the back, we’ve hardly kept any clean sheets for 18 months plus.

Can’t see where Harkins goes from here. Wouldn’t be surprised if he hung up his boots as I can’t see even a lower league club taking him on. Final thoughts on him

First spell....brilliant, especially when moved to midfield. One of McCalls best ever signings

Second spell....unfit, lazy,  wage thief. 

Edited by Sting777

2 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

We've already had 2 worse centre backs than Grant this season, and arguably a couple last season as well, so I'm not convinced at all by that.

McGinty performances against us don't give me any confidence that he'll be any better than Grant. 

You've arguably added one of the worst in the league. For any team signing our defenders I'd be seriously concerned, we've not kept a clean sheet in the league all season and a number of games we've been absolutely ridiculed. Even Penicuik should have scored against us. 

What a transfer window this has turned out to be. 

35 minutes ago, thistledo said:

You've arguably added one of the worst in the league. For any team signing our defenders I'd be seriously concerned, we've not kept a clean sheet in the league all season and a number of games we've been absolutely ridiculed. Even Penicuik should have scored against us. 

What a transfer window this has turned out to be. 

McGinty has certainly stood out against Morton as being one of the worst in the league. 

It's bewildering that we seem to have strengthened a rival team by taking a player they wanted rid of, while taking on a player who hasn't at all looked good enough for this level of football.

On the face of it, Thistle have played a blinder here. 

1 hour ago, Sting777 said:

Can’t see where Harkins goes from here. Wouldn’t be surprised if he hung up his boots as I can’t see even a lower league club taking him on. Final thoughts on him

First spell....brilliant, especially when moved to midfield. One of McCalls best ever signings

Second spell....unfit, lazy,  wage thief. 

I reckon he might come home.

Don't care if he's finished.

6 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Who does that leave us in the “punt immediately” category?

Tommy Robson, Ryan Williamson, Lewis Mansell and Mitch Austin are the ones I can think off the top of my head. If we were getting someone in then add Steven Saunders to that too. Anyone else?

Unless we get other full backs in can’t imagine Williamson or Robson leaving till summer. Mansell seemingly going on loan. Austin I would still give a chance to, but he is looking like last years Coulibaly. Cardle, Zanatta nd Jones likely to be bench warmers. Can’t think of any club that has cleared out/recruited so many players in any January window. We just need to hope these new players get immediately!

Edited by Sting777

Mental that we've got rid of 9 players since Christmas and not one of them is Tommy Robson. 

Think only Mansell will go, on loan somewhere. That would leave us with 20 senior players so there might be room for one or two more at most, maybe loans as we've still got a couple of loan spaces left.

We'll have freed up some wages by getting rid of 9 players, you'd think Miller, Harkins and Mcginty would be near the top 3 wages, but there will be severance agreements and we've paid fees for 3 players as well. 

The likes of Saunders, Jones and Austin will stay for now but go in the summer I think.

Good luck to Gary Harkins, the Glasgow Cup game last week really highlighted his limitations. I think that signing the contract for us last year must have been the equivalent of him putting on an old jacket and finding £20 in the pocket. I cannot see him joining any club soon.

Now waiting for the inevitable, Gary Harkins signs for Morton 

I'm pretty certain Robson would've been one of the first to go if we could find him another club with a suitable replacement coming in, or if he was confident enough to find another club in January and agree a mutual termination. He's utter shite though, so it's no wonder no one else would want him.