The Partick Thistle thread

17 minutes ago, Scorge said:

Here's my thinking - a) uni, as you say, b) gives us continuity in case we can't bag another striker c) he's not getting thrown straight into a firefight at the wrong end of a league early on into his career, and d) if you finish 9th and we make 4th again, you'll probably be able to veto him (and Sena) in a PO.

You've got a heck of a signing coming though, even in the first pre-season kickabout against Formartine I thought there was a player in there. Potential to be as good as Boyler if all goes well for him.

Ah OK I thought he was a winger. We've still got 4 strikers on the books albeit I'd expect Mansell to move either permanent or on loan by Saturday, so that makes more sense then. 

13 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Why? Because we released him 6 years ago?

He’s played around 150 games at this level since then, I’m sure he’s improved somewhat since he was with us.

Archies eye for a player is a joke..thank f**k hes well away from recruitment ..mcginty defo away...

4 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Ah OK I thought he was a winger. We've still got 4 strikers on the books albeit I'd expect Mansell to move either permanent or on loan by Saturday, so that makes more sense then. 

He is technically, but that's where most of our goals have been coming from this season.

Skyline - I wasn't aware it was a league rule, cheers. Point stands that their unavailability works in Thistle's favour should that arise.

Edited by Scorge

4 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Was about to put it up myself. Partick are right he's a danger in the box!

His actions on the 3rd in stepping up to play offside when he's not our deepest defender were arguably worse!

Brownlie's been terrific this season, in fact pretty much since he came back from his long term knee injury late last season, the errors have been mostly cut out and he's started to fulfill the potential we saw in him 5 years ago. He has all the tools to be a very decent defender. Powerful in the air, a no nonsense tackler and deceptively quick. But his mind was clearly elsewhere on Saturday and in hindsight he'd have been better not playing. His worst performance for us, probably ever.

Lyons seems like a very "McCall" signing - sounds promising from the Montrose fans' reviews.

Some folk have developed a bizarre fascination with ridiculing Archie for releasing players like Brownlie and Nisbet. Either guy could have went the same way as a Gavin Rushford or a Kieran Burns.

In Brownlie's case, he was released because he had Jack Hendry and Liam Lindsay ahead of him; Nisbet was released because he'd shown very little recent evidence that he was going to be up to standard. They've knuckled down, improved and earned moves back to a similar level. Fair play to them both - doesn't change the fact that it was the correct decision to release them at the time.

If this indeed spells the end for McGinty, I can't say I'd be disappointed. Unlike some guys who have pitched up who we clearly did little homework on, I think we watched McGinty for quite some time. I believe we actually tried to sign him the season before we did - imagine a defensive pairing with Devine - but couldn't get the deal done. I'm sure there were other clubs sniffing about and it looked like he might get a better move than coming to us. But Torquay were then relegated with McGinty a mainstay in the team. 

We've seen ourselves with Adam Barton that a player can go from hero to zero in the space of a season. I do wonder if something similar affected McGinty's confidence.

Or maybe he was just shite all along.

Craig Slater leaving by mutual consent termination.

Bit gutted by that. Thought he was a talented player on the ball and one of our best players last season. Seems like McCall just doesnt fancy him but I think he has alot to offer to a club at this level if not higher with regular game time. Was hoping he would get a run in the team not that hes fit again but he doesnt suit McCalls centre.

Good luck to him, confident he'll do well wherever he goes but I'd rather it's not in this division. 

Slater now gone. Thought he'd have been a decent player for us but McCall clearly doesn't fancy him. Would hope he signs for Falkirk other than a team in our division.

Happy with Lyons judging by everyone's comments and don't mind having him come next season, he was in the juniors only six months ago.

Brownlie would have to be abysmal if he's going to be worse than what we've got already. Like that he's wound up the QotS fans on his way out too. Good start.

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 14:05, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, 6' 3", powerful, good in the air, fairly quick, and ................... a Queen of the South player until June unless you want to write a very big cheque I expect.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 17:17, Northfield 53 said:

You don't have the cash well not enough to temp Queens to sell him now .

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 15:46, SUPERSOUTH said:

Hands off Brownlie, He's at Queens till the Summer.... 

PTFC-Welcome-Brownlie_1090x630-900x520.j

1 hour ago, Scorge said:

Here's my thinking - a) uni, as you say, b) gives us continuity in case we can't bag another striker c) he's not getting thrown straight into a firefight at the wrong end of a league early on into his career, and d) if you finish 9th and we make 4th again, you'll probably be able to veto him (and Sena) in a PO.

You've got a heck of a signing coming though, even in the first pre-season kickabout against Formartine I thought there was a player in there. Potential to be as good as Boyler if all goes well for him.

He's continuing studies probably in the evening as he'll be training full-time with Thistle.

Read on Montrose Twitter that this is the club's biggest transfer since Gary Murray went to Hibs in the 80s for £50k. Obviously a lot of clauses will be built into that. With that fee and the loan back Thistle certainly seemed desperate to get this one over the line.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Glad to get Brownlie over the line.

CB has been an unmitigated disaster the past couple of years, and whilst I hope folk aren’t expecting him to suddenly solve all our defensive issues, he’s got to be an improvement on the current batch of diddies.

That's it for me. He'll make errors just as most defenders at this level will from time to time.

It's all about building a decent defensive unit rather than the sieve we've witnessed for the last however long...

He's continuing studies probably in the evening as he'll be training full-time with Thistle.
Read on Montrose Twitter that this is the club's biggest transfer since Gary Murray went to Hibs in the 80s for £50k. Obviously a lot of clauses will be built into that. With that fee and the loan back Thistle certainly seemed desperate to get this one over the line.
Did we pay them anything for ATS back in the day?

6 minutes ago, Walter said:
10 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Did we pay them anything for ATS back in the day?

Talk was about £9k.