The Partick Thistle thread

8 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

There's not a chance their would be this much remorse from any thistle luvvie if he was just an ordinary punter with a fiver in his pocket & Why all these non thistle fans coming on passing on their apologies is like me turning up to a funeral for someone i didnt know..Bizarre

Nice to see you in here all the same.

My fear is the club could be in limbo whilst any Will is discussed and maybe challenged over the next few months, which includes his 65% stake in the club and 50% stake in the ground, plus obviously 3 black cats.
As we are 3 days away from entering a transfer window any potential funding for this from either Colin or 3BC won’t happen now.
My fear is his stake gets sold off to someone else to fund the estate to the family
There are only two directors of TBC Mr Weir and Jac Low I would think the money in the TBC account will be made available to Thistle .

Sent from my ZTE BLADE V7 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Aye this is bad news. My first thought on seeing the news was "oh shit I hope we're not too fucked!" so thanks to the good guys on here for being a grounding influence by reminding us that he was a man with a family first and foremost.

I loved that he gave a clump of money to Largs to install what I think is one of the best pitches in the country.

I'm glad he got to spend the last 8 years of his life living the good life, and I'm delighted he blessed my team with some of his winnings.

How much money did Weir put in? Some Italian article linked on facebook talks about £15m which doesn't chime with reality surely. Where did that figure come from?

Anyone on here ever go to games with him before his lottery win? Low (also now a fully fledged Thistle fan) is pushing the 'lifelong' and 'diehard' lines extra hard, that wouldn't be so she can hold onto the reigns beyond March to 'continue the legacy of this lifelong diehard Partick Thistle legend because its what he would've wanted for the club he loved so much' would it?

Anyone on here ever go to games with him before his lottery win? Low (also now a fully fledged Thistle fan) is pushing the 'lifelong' and 'diehard' lines extra hard, that wouldn't be so she can hold onto the reigns beyond March to 'continue the legacy of this lifelong diehard Partick Thistle legend because its what he would've wanted for the club he loved so much' would it?

I noticed that as well. As far as I was aware, he was a Largs Thistle “fan” before investing in Partick Thistle. I’ve never once heard of someone saying they knew Colin Weir through or recognised him at games.

Not disputing the wonderful financial gestures he made to the club, but pushing the whole “lifelong Thistle fan” is a bit much, and screams more bullshit from Low’s PR “expertise”.

40 minutes ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

How much money did Weir put in? Some Italian article linked on facebook talks about £15m which doesn't chime with reality surely. Where did that figure come from?

From memory the initial investment was £750000 which cleared debt, and him and his wife were given shares, some of which went to PTFC Trust.

Weir academy was approx £150000 a year.

The purchase of 55% of the club would be at approximately £2000000 given the “book” value of club, with another £1000000 for Propco (bing and main stand). So in total close to £5 million.

I believe it was Beattie that approached him to get involved, and again I don’t know of anyone who went to Firhill with him prior to his generous gift.

49 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

I noticed that as well. As far as I was aware, he was a Largs Thistle “fan” before investing in Partick Thistle. I’ve never once heard of someone saying they knew Colin Weir through or recognised him at games.

Not disputing the wonderful financial gestures he made to the club, but pushing the whole “lifelong Thistle fan” is a bit much, and screams more bullshit from Low’s PR “expertise”.

My uncle is a "life-long" Thistle fan. He doesn't go to games either. He lives in Calgary, Alberta.

Would you be turning down a donation if my uncle found some dosh down the back of the sofa ?

Edited by Black Pennel
punchew-ayshun.

22 minutes ago, Black Pennel said:

My uncle is a "life-long" Thistle fan. He doesn't go to games either. He lives in Calgary, Alberta.

Would you be turning down a donation if my uncle found some dosh down the back of the sofa ?

A 12 hour flight is a bit different than an hour on the train.

And nobody is talking about turning down a donation, the money he provided was welcome, the youth academy was a brilliant idea.

But £15m is a lie, not a slight exaggeration. The diehard and lifelong fan chat doesn't seem grounded in reality either.

Aye,...I know, (I don't think he was a fervent Largs Thistle attendee either) but it just seems a wee bit too soon after to be raising these questions. Maybe wait until he's cauld ?
He was just pointing out that descriptions of the guy's historic relationship with the club have been somewhat exaggerated. I don't think he's said anything particularly distasteful.

Yeah, I'll take half-hearted Thistle fans putting millions of quid into us every day of the week.  RIP. We were very lucky to benefit from his generosity especially as he wasn't a diehard fan.

On on-field matters, 3 wins out of 4 in December, seems as if McCall has decided who he wants and doesn't with the unchanged team in the last 3 games.  Annoying that we don't have confirmation on Cole and Kakay yet as that would help with planning.

Hall is surely gone and Palmer seems to be going back to Rangers. If there's a break clause in De Vita's loan then it will be exercised.

Folk that are under contract but might be mutually consented if we can find teams to take them on and depending on who we have lined up: Robson, Slater, Harkins, McGinty (if we have a new CB coming in January), Mansell (2 year deal will make this hard but we did it with John Baird)

Needs: A CB, another full back (particularly if we can't keep Kakay), a striker, a winger, a centre mid that isn't just a "get the ball, pass the ball, create nothing, rarely score" type. If McCall wants to persist with the 442 and we can keep Cole then the centre mid might not be necessary and another winger instead.

Edited by Fuctifano

The Record has Livi recalling De Vita and sending him on loan to Falkirk.
I'll be more than happy if that's true. If he's contracted to Livvy for next season then it would make sense for them to move him somewhere he'll get game time. If not, it makes sense for De Vita to move on and get himself in the shop window.