The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Sad news indeed.

As many have said the guy lived what is seen as the dream and between him and his wife they contributed to numerous good causes across the country.

I hope his legacy will see Thistle safeguarded and in the hands of the fans rather than some fly by knight coming in and taking over. That is a noble cause and clearly was his wish so should be implemented.

8 years after winning all that money is too short though. Tragic.

Steady on. 

It’s sad that he has died, and there's no doubt they did give a lot of money to “noble causes” - good on them for that - but changing the ownership of a fitba’ club can hardly be termed as one of them.

He could certainly afford the best of legal advice, so the chances are that it will still go ahead. Even if it doesn't, he's still done Thistle a lot of good financially. 

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Steady on. 

It’s sad that he has died, and there's no doubt they did give a lot of money to “noble causes” - good on them for that - but changing the ownership of a fitba’ club can hardly be termed as one of them.

He could certainly afford the best of legal advice, so the chances are that it will still go ahead. Even if it doesn't, he's still done Thistle a lot of good financially. 

No doubt, however the nobility is protecting the club from some fly by knight and safeguarding its future. Football clubs are assets to their communities and their value for society is totally ignored by many including governments of various stripes but that is another issue.

If any one of us won that amount of money we'd be ploughing money into our teams. I certainly would for Ayr.

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

My fear is the club could be in limbo whilst any Will is discussed and maybe challenged over the next few months, which includes his 65% stake in the club and 50% stake in the ground, plus obviously 3 black cats.

As we are 3 days away from entering a transfer window any potential funding for this from either Colin or 3BC won’t happen now.

My fear is his stake gets sold off to someone else to fund the estate to the family

24 minutes ago, thenolly said:

My fear is the club could be in limbo whilst any Will is discussed and maybe challenged over the next few months, which includes his 65% stake in the club and 50% stake in the ground, plus obviously 3 black cats.

As we are 3 days away from entering a transfer window any potential funding for this from either Colin or 3BC won’t happen now.

My fear is his stake gets sold off to someone else to fund the estate to the family

Here’s hoping.

County fan here. Genuinely sorry for his family, your club and football in general. He won a shit load of money, done a hell of a lot of good things including helping the clubs he loved, (you lot and Largs). I’d like to think that if we all were that lucky, we’d all do the same.
Let’s not be wanky and maybe just appreciate a seemingly good guy that we didn’t know

2 hours ago, Hazbart said:

Here’s hoping.

1 hour ago, shawfield shed boy said:

There's not a chance their would be this much remorse from any thistle luvvie if he was just an ordinary punter with a fiver in his pocket & Why all these non thistle fans coming on passing on their apologies is like me turning up to a funeral for someone i didnt know..Bizarre

get out GIF

There's not a chance their would be this much remorse from any thistle luvvie if he was just an ordinary punter with a fiver in his pocket & Why all these non thistle fans coming on passing on their apologies is like me turning up to a funeral for someone i didnt know..Bizarre

A Clyde fan being an idiot. I’m shocked.

3 hours ago, Hazbart said:

Here’s hoping.

Not to sure what point your making but if it’s to do with signing players, regardless of Colin Weirs involvement or not are our attendances not far off double yours - in which case it’s really not that puzzling that we can probably offer higher wages than yours and that alone can be a key factor in players leaving one club for another 

regardless I’m eternally grateful for what colin did with setting up our youth academy and seemed a very down to earth guy who didn’t let his lottery wins get to his head.  RIP Colin, thoughts go to his friends and family at this very sad time 

Edited by third lanark

20 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Not to sure what point your making but if it’s to do with signing players, regardless of Colin Weirs involvement or not are our attendances not far off double yours - in which case it’s really not that puzzling that we can probably offer higher wages than yours and that alone can be a key factor in players leaving one club for another 

regardless I’m eternally grateful for what colin did with setting up our youth academy and seemed a very down to earth guy who didn’t let his lottery wins get to his head.  RIP Colin, thoughts go to his friends and family at this very sad time 

I’‘me just hoping the Partick Thistle clusterfuck continues.

No idea what our crowds have to do with you signing players. You’ve had a significantly bigger budget than us for the last 3 windows and it’s not helped.

26 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

I’‘me just hoping the Partick Thistle clusterfuck continues.

No idea what our crowds have to do with you signing players. You’ve had a significantly bigger budget than us for the last 3 windows and it’s not helped.

The budget thing is only so good if you have managers who know how to use it well. Archie was a decent manager but his Achilles heel tended to be his signings- signed a few good but a lot awful, I felt he was too easily persuaded by agents trying to get him to sign players from English lower leagues that struggled to adjust up here and didn’t seem to have too many decent contacts in the game. Caldwell wasted a lot as well on team bonding exercises

the current manager makes better use of his budget than the previous 2

Imagine we didn’t have a complete charlatan in charge until mid-September... McCall has worked wonders getting some excellent results out of an absolutely horrific squad.

Hopefully we can get some decent players in January (as well as keeping Cole and Kakay), and pull clear of any threat of relegation.

24 minutes ago, JudgeMudge said:

Not been spectacular, but McCall has definitely turned it around. Play-offs absolutely has to be the target.

19 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Imagine we didn’t have a complete charlatan in charge until mid-September... McCall has worked wonders getting some excellent results out of an absolutely horrific squad.

Hopefully we can get some decent players in January (as well as keeping Cole and Kakay), and pull clear of any threat of relegation.

Optimist meets realist.