The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

It's you who can't move on and tries to stamp on any criticism of Archibald. He signed a lot of dross in 2018 and wasted a considerable proportion of the parachute payment.  But you stamp on anyone who dares to criticise him. 

I only posted only one initial comment on the subject. Predictably, you and the cretinous Ad Lib blew it out of proportion and I have had to defend it. You appear to have a very authoritarian and self-righteous mentality that is very unpleasant.

Perhaps you would like to withdraw your earlier accusation that I hate Archibald. Or are you not man enough?

You hate Alan Archibald and reptiles hate you.

Just now, Ad Lib said:

You hate Alan Archibald and reptiles hate you.

On your second bottle of Buckie already? Probably the proverbial hair of the dog. 

Last night you said that I was reptilian but now you say that the reptiles hate me. 

Go to the David Icke forum where you obviously belong.

😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

It's you who can't move on and tries to stamp on any criticism of Archibald. He signed a lot of dross in 2018 and wasted a considerable proportion of the parachute payment.  But you stamp on anyone who dares to criticise him. 

I only posted only one initial comment on the subject. Predictably, you and the cretinous Ad Lib blew it out of proportion and I have had to defend it. You appear to have a very authoritarian and self-righteous mentality that is very unpleasant.

Perhaps you would like to withdraw your earlier accusation that I hate Archibald. Or are you not man enough?

Honestly, let go of the hate. It's not a good look for you. 

51 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I agree totally but the decline really started after 6th place was secured in April 2017. The post-split results were inexplicably dreadful and it was downhill until McCall returned. I'm pleased that he has given Archibald the opportunity to return. 

They weren't "inexplicably dreadful" - we had managed Top 6 (a fantastic achievement regardless of our steep decline since) and therefore our final five games were against the top 5 teams in the country. Archibald's strengths never included getting results against bigger teams (or ever daring to set up to give them a good game), and from memory, the players also just looked tired.  Hence, 5 meek pumpings. 

We then let Lindsay go that summer for a song and never replaced him, so we went from having a fairly solid defence with the added bonus of goals being contributed by a young star defender, to the shambles we've had since.

33 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

They weren't "inexplicably dreadful" - we had managed Top 6 (a fantastic achievement regardless of our steep decline since) and therefore our final five games were against the top 5 teams in the country. Archibald's strengths never included getting results against bigger teams (or ever daring to set up to give them a good game), and from memory, the players also just looked tired.  Hence, 5 meek pumpings. 

We then let Lindsay go that summer for a song and never replaced him, so we went from having a fairly solid defence with the added bonus of goals being contributed by a young star defender, to the shambles we've had since.

We drew with Hearts 😉.

Also a few players were injured/ rested too. Lindsay and Pre-salesman Abzy Osman and Booth spring to mind.

The last two games vs Celtic and Aberdeen were a kick in the haw-maws. 

I thought Archibald had lost the plot playing Lawless at wing back . Turns out he was a visionary...

Archie should’ve been punted after that 5-1 Killie away game but can we appreciate the good times with him? End of the day he got us our best finish in 43 years, something that we’ll probably never see again 

I wanted him sacked, aye but you still need to respect somebody who done so much for our club 

1 hour ago, mikedafc said:

If you haven't listened to Off The Ball last Saturday you should as Ray Bradshaw(Soccer FM) and ex Thistle manager Gary Caldwell came face to face and Ray didn't hold back about Caldwell's time as Thistle manager

And as Ray said on soccer fm, they edited out the SAS digg as it was brutally awkward 😂

Archie is the most over rated manager ever in the Scottish's first flight. What job would he get if he left Thistle ? Clyde or Airdrie max. There's a huge gap between what football thinks of him and what our fans think of him. Archiebald took over in unbelievable circumstances. A great young team 2nd in the league with decent books and off the field stability in Scottish football that was becoming a much more even playing field.

The way Lambie has been airbrushed by Archie's cheerleaders is disgraceful. We were on our knees in the 2nd division. Shot in every way(money,morale,players) and Lambie turned it around.  Lambie getting us to 10th in the 2002/2003 was 3 or 4 times the achievement considering Old firm Had  De Boer/Arteta/ Hartson/Larrson/Sutton/Ferguson.Dundee playing 20k a week to Ravenelli and other stars like Speroni/Khizanishvilli/Rae/Nemsadze/Cabellero/Novo.

Livingston doped up to there eye balls full of talents including Guillermo Amor who had 37 Spain caps and 300 games for barca. Javier broto (Celtic keeper) with Rubio n Andrews in front of him.Zarata up front

You had Dunfermline with Crawford,Brewster and Nicholson,Skerla . Hearts finished 3rd with Pressley/Webster, Mark de Veries,Stamp and Valois even Motherwell had Mcfadden and Pearson. We were the diddy relations by a million times in size and wage budget in those days when everyone was paying mega bucks. There was no St johnstone or Accies. We had to finish ahead of Motherwell and United to stay up.

Archie's top six team was pish (Ryan edwards,Devine,Barton) and the best two players Lindsay and Doolan who guided us through where not even his and we beat off a really pish Killie and Accies sides to do it. We had seasons without hearts/hibs/Rangers in the league. Thistle finished 10th under Archie before. In Murdo Mcleod's erathat would of seen us relegated (Murdo went down in 9th) in a league of 10. Collins never had the 7th biggest budget in the league. Saying Archie did better without any context is unfair on everyone else.

Archie's style of hoof football, his poor tactics ,his cup record,his big game record, his signings were all terrible.He lived a charm life in the SPL before it came crashing down. He made 76 signings for Thistle and Ryan Edwards only one who went onto a bigger club from us. Big money on Keown,Storey,Barton just wasted. He blew the cup final versus QOTS because he struggles to set out to win. 

Archie wasting and releasing Prime Lawless with no contract was a far bigger crime than Caldwell dumping a past it Erskine or Doolan. Lawless is class in the current SPL. He also didn't want O'donnell back cause we had dumbaya and turned down Jack Hendry. He messed around Doolan aswell by benching him for every jobber striker he could find for years.

Walking out on us for Dundee united despite us being the SPL and finishing above the previous season. Not resigning and having to be sacked costing the club a pay off. Headbutting a youth player and getting sent off while manager in a reserve team match

The amazing first division team ?. He nearly got it relegated in the 1st SPL season with 2 home wins all season. Stayed up by 3 points. Signed duds like Mark Kerr and John baird/Gabby. The relegation and his final season should take away legendary status.

The analysis/diatribe above contains elements of truth but is incredibly one sided and approaches the subject with a preset and fixed view of Archibald (at least spell his name correctly).

The key thing to remember is we are talking about Alan Archibald and Partick Thistle. We aren't comparing him with a Stein, a Shankly or a Ferguson. We are comparing him his predecessors and successors as manager of our club.

He isn't without flaws. Yes, he was ultimately responsible for relegation. Yes, he left Caldwell with a poor squad but no matter the relevant strengths of the leagues at the time his achievements stand comparison and exceed those of virtually every other Thistle manager since league reconstruction in 1975. That isn't a matter of opinion. It is a matter of fact.

And that's before you factor in the 423 appearances he made as a player.

Legend? Absolutely.

Flawless? Absolutely not.

Oh and the notion that Lambie's achievements have been 'airbrushed' is just nonsense.