The Partick Thistle thread

Very pleased with this news.

Nothing is going to change dramatically in the short or even medium term and indeed personally I'd like to see the current BoD fill a number of positions on the interim board. There is a lot of experience there that would be a shame not to utilise.

Again Partick Thistle have much to thank Colin Weir for.

I think it is unfortunate to say the least that the change in Board was handled so badly that it led to Colin Weir initially walking away from the club. That incident aside I fail to understand the level of vitriol that some direct in Colin Weir's direction.

IMO everything has ultimately worked out for the best. It's a real shame though that for a while it was all so bitter. I don't suppose it matters now but I'll forever question why and how the news of the initial consortium became public especially given that not a word, until very recently, came from them. I can't help but feel that some individuals were playing games with people and were distinctly less than honest in what they claimed to know.

Onwards and upwards.

Nothing is going to change dramatically in the short or even medium term and indeed personally I'd like to see the current BoD fill a number of positions on the interim board. There is a lot of experience there that would be a shame not to utilise.

I think it is unfortunate to say the least that the change in Board was handled so badly that it led to Colin Weir initially walking away from the club. That incident aside I fail to understand the level of vitriol that some direct in Colin Weir's direction.

IMO everything has ultimately worked out for the best. It's a real shame though that for a while it was all so bitter. I don't suppose it matters now but I'll forever question why and how the news of the initial consortium became public especially given that not a word, until very recently, came from them. I can't help but feel that some individuals were playing games with people and were distinctly less than honest in what they claimed to know.

Onwards and upwards.

The current board have had months to get issues sorted failed so good luck to Mr Weir . Good job you have him as a supporter . you might have went under with out his money over the last few years

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I could be wrong but I don't think Low will be involved (publicly anyway), think even she knows how divisive (at best) she was. 

Her PR company released Weir’s statement today.

I’d be surprised if she wasn’t involved. She may not end up being the chairman again, or even a director at all, but she’ll play some part behind the scenes.

Her PR company released Weir’s statement today.
I’d be surprised if she wasn’t involved. She may not end up being the chairman again, or even a director at all, but she’ll play some part behind the scenes.
It would be a short lived involvement if she were would it not? TBC will be handing their shareholding in Thistle to the fans by the end of March next year.

3 hours ago, John MacLean said:

Onwards and upwards.

Weir was terrible when he did anything but foot the bill for the academy.
He forced massively unqualified Low into the "Chairman" position solely on the basis that they were pals and then threw the toys out the pram when she was rightly sacked. The appointment of Caldwell and the treatment of Doolan was horrific.

The majority of supporters who want him back seem to be the core, shouty gimps in our support.

5 hours ago, professor challenger said:

I'd just love to know why the Bing and the Main Stand are being withheld from the fans ownership arrangements for up to ten years

I would expect it’s some kind of protection against it all going tits up.

By retaining ownership of  essentially 50% of the stadium he can still influence decisions and gives some guarantee against the fans board selling the assets.

On the plus sides the TFE / new board (whoever that ends up) will have a debt free start to life, which is pretty decent given Chairman Low's regime. Equally good is owning the bing and Colin Weir stand again. It's got the makings of something that could work well. 

I think the main concerns are the leadership of the fan owners and the board appointments. 

Would be interested to hear what the Motherwell fans think of their current setup

8 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Weir was terrible when he did anything but foot the bill for the academy.
He forced massively unqualified Low into the "Chairman" position solely on the basis that they were pals and then threw the toys out the pram when she was rightly sacked. The appointment of Caldwell and the treatment of Doolan was horrific.

The majority of supporters who want him back seem to be the core, shouty gimps in our support.

Weir funded the academy. When it looked like the club were going to be bought out by a company who were apparently going to make money by selling youth players at Barnsley and Thistle, Weir withdrew his backing. That looks like common sense to me. Hardly throwing the toys out the pram.

Edited by thisal

8 minutes ago, thisal said:

Weir funded the academy. When it looked like the club were going to be bought out by a company who were apparently going to make money by selling youth players at Barnsley and Thistle, Weir withdrew his backing. That looks like common sense to me. Hardly throwing the toys out the pram.

Yes, why would anyone fund something which would be seen purely as a way of lining the potential new owners' pockets. Especially as those potential new owners were reported to be billionaires

No Low in the directors listed in the statement on the official site which is encouraging. Less so is the inclusion of the Thistle Trust board members who never seemed to give any answers to the questions surrounding why many people entitled to a vote in their elections never got their ballot papers and u16s who are not entitled to vote under their constitution were able to vote. 

Directors

Dr Charan Gill MBE is a well-known business entrepreneur who has spent most of his life working in Glasgow’s West End. From humble beginnings, he built the largest chain of independently owned Indian restaurants in Europe which he sold to focus on personal interests. His Ashoka restaurant were one of the Club’s first shirt sponsors and he has maintained close links with Partick Thistle ever since.

Ian Dodd retired at 60 to spend time travelling after a highly successful career acquiring experience and knowledge in a range of business sectors, including the motor industry, oil and gas industries, banking sector and corporate property/facilities. Ian joined Thistle’s Board in 2010 and over that period has had special responsibility for the stadium and facilities management.

Alan Caldwell is a graduate in Applied Economics, who worked in financial services for 13 years before joining the Civil Service in 2008. Over the past 11 years Alan has performed key organisational roles within government. Alan has been a Thistle fan for over 35 years and for the past two years he has been a Trustee on the Partick Thistle FC Trust. He is currently Vice-Chair of the Trust.

Andrew Byron has worked for an Investment Bank in Glasgow for the past five years and has a degree in Risk Management. Over the past two years, Andrew has been a Trustee of the PTFC Trust, initially as a Co-opted Trustee, then an elected Trustee where he held roles as Vice-Chair and most recently Chair. He has been a Thistle fan for over 20 years and has performed various roles at the Club, from ball boy to matchday volunteer and office worker at Firhill.

John Penman had a career as a journalist covering politics and business for over 25 years for the Sunday Times, Scotsman, Business am and Daily Record among others before joining Lloyds Banking Group in 2009 to oversee its corporate communications in Scotland. He has his own consultancy advising corporates on matters ranging from communications to public affairs to sustainability and inclusion. John was also part of the working group which set up the media regulations for the Scottish Parliament. He has been following the Jags since the mid 1960s, having inherited his support for Thistle from his late father who came from Port Dundas.