The Partick Thistle thread

37 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

What are the chances of McCall getting the sack before the end of the season.

I'm sure he will be given the January window to try and work his magic with  a few signings, but if results keep slipping, how long would he get? Or is he there for the long run, even if relegated?

Someone asked me at the weekend if we would take McCall back if he got the sack - hence the question.

We’ve just managed to get rid of the fraud now people are wanting him back. 

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I’ve got kind of the opposite attitude towards fixing this mess as you, @KelvindaleJag The defence is an absolute shambles, and is the one thing we immediately need to fix, imo.

We definitely are light up top and on the wings, and if Miller gets injured or has enough and decides to call it a day, that would be a massive problem; that is undeniable. And whilst we have loads of CMs who all offer pretty much the exact same thing (not very much), at least we’re somewhat serviceable in that department. But not denying the need for improvement/depth in these areas, we do create chances and score goals... sometimes.

The rate at which we ship goals, and how easy it often is for the opposition to score from nothing, though, is the biggest issue currently. 4 CBs who just aren’t up to standard, a total shitebag of a RB, and a LB who, whilst talented, is easily targeted due to his lack of height, strength and general fitness. We’re just a disaster across the whole back line, and we need at least a couple of new bodies there to at least try and not be such an embarrassing soft touch defensively.

Fully agree regarding the defence. Not much point paying the big bux on a new goalie if the defence just let teams walk the ball into the net or create chances at will from set pieces. Cliche coming up, but conceding 3 or 4 goals in games over a 90 minutes is pretty much guaranteed to kill you off in every match (Abroath, Ayr, Dunfermline); keeping it within 1 goal if you are losing a match always means you can scrape something late on if the other team starts to get nervy or you can get a break late on.

Regarding McCall, barring some sort of huge controversy or something wild happens on the takeover front, or we somehow lose every game 3-0 from now until the end of the season he'll still be here. Hard to pin too much blame on him given the squad is a well documented mess + there's been a relentlessly negative vibe at the club since the season we were relegated (heavily based on results and performances but there's also been some division over Erskine + Doolan leaving etc.) 

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

4 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

What are the chances of McCall getting the sack before the end of the season.

I'm sure he will be given the January window to try and work his magic with  a few signings, but if results keep slipping, how long would he get? Or is he there for the long run, even if relegated?

Someone asked me at the weekend if we would take McCall back if he got the sack - hence the question.

It's quite a big mess he's got to sort. Even if we are relegated, i hope and think he'd get more time. He needs to gut the squad in the summer. January is always a bump to sign players.  He'll only be able to bring a few in 

It’s all pretty poor. I feel we really lack leadership and experience through the team. Miller has those attributes but we need that in midfield and defence. 

My major area for fixing is the midfield. They all (apart from maybe Cole or Palmer) lack the ability to pick out an accurate pass. Even when we have possession it’s getting played about sideways or backwards. This is fine if we’re waiting on someone picking a killer pass or getting the ball in wide. 

Too many of the players are one dimensional and they even lack the physical attributes required to win the battles in the middle of the park. Bannigan should be a driving force but isn’t showing up. Maybe he needs someone battling next to him or maybe he needs a new start although McCall is a fan and I’d be surprised if he left. 

Defence has been pretty well summed up in previous posts but we need an older head in there a la Anderson. 

The bottom line is we aren’t strong enough to set up like a 4-1-4-1 or creative enough to play a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Maybe we need to look at a 3-5-2/ 5-3-2 in the meantime?

Its a mess and we need a real turnaround soon to even look like escaping the bottom two places. 

I hope McCall has at least 3 quality signings lined up and gets lucky with any other players we can bring in.

I mentioned Gary O’Neil and Mulumbu, a bit of experience in the midfield engine room, even short-term is required ASAP.

you have in a hard possition, without wingers and lack of goals, maybe a 5-3-2 with two fulls backs (penrice and kakay), 3 strong midfield (with two box-to-box) and 2 strikers, one of them big and other more mobile could be a possible solution....

or a usefull 4-4-2 with 2 more fulls backs as midfield wingers.... (robson & kakay)

maybe you have 4 competetive full backs (best part of the team)

3 hours ago, McGarci said:

you have in a hard possition, without wingers and lack of goals, maybe a 5-3-2 with two fulls backs (penrice and kakay), 3 strong midfield (with two box-to-box) and 2 strikers, one of them big and other more mobile could be a possible solution....

or a usefull 4-4-2 with 2 more fulls backs as midfield wingers.... (robson & kakay)

maybe you have 4 competetive full backs (best part of the team)

McCall liked a 5-3-2 last time around, vivid memories of him saying it's a good fit at this level of football but he hasn't used it with us as yet this season. Fighting fires all over the park with the players available tbh, hope he figures out something that works consistently with what he's got to work with as soon as possible until January.

On 04/11/2019 at 11:05, KelvindaleJag said:

So what, apart from ditching most of the players, would you like to see done at the break?

My suggestion would be just to accept that the defence is rank and get a first-rate goalkeeper behind them - say, a youngster on loan from a second-ranking German side (learning English is a selling point). Someone else has pointed out that Tomáš Černy is warming the bench at Aberdeen. Fox is adequate but inconsistent, and we can't afford that. My view is that Sneddon was and is a better option, but perhaps there are reasons for Fox being preferred.

The midfield needs to be gutted, and we need at least one striker, as Millar needs someone to play off and Mansell misses, even when he's in the right place. Scouring the Juniors should have been an option long ago, given the woeful performances, as at least we could get some grit in the team - something that has been missing for years, in several managers' lineups.

Love shit like this.

Struggling team and you think itll be solved by signing a young keeper who wont be able to communicate with his defence, and a midfielder from the Juniors to go about punting folk.

Just missed the claim that 4-4-2 is the only formation that can save you, as two up front is simply infallible. 

20 hours ago, dave.j said:

I'd take him back to allow us to cash in on Penrice, before everyone else finds out how shite he is. 

We'll take him, he was brilliant when he was on loan with us and he's a #LocalLad as well 

59 minutes ago, JudgeMudge said:

Do you believe that? Serious question because I have some reservations (but still better than others).

For me he isnt great, isnt shite, just consistently okay. Which, compared to how shite the rest of the defence is, makes him far and away our best and most consistent defender.

He's like when an average looking burd is surrounded by absolute munters, she looks helfy in comparison.