The Partick Thistle thread

He's played in both defence and midfield under McCall but got dropped after last Saturday. Christ knows how bad Ben Hall must be to not even get a look in.

I wondered during the week if McCall would go with 3 (or really 5) at the back but probably us playing quite well and only losing 1 goal to DU who had been shagging teams at home all season probably helped stay with a 4 today. Considering we have 4 CBs, 4 full backs none of whom can really defend, loads of centre mids and few wingers. If we played 3-5-2 I'd stick Zanatta up front beside Miller as well as an alternative to Mansell, when he's on the wing he's only ever going one way which should be lessened in the centre. He is a big weakling though.

2 hours ago, Ayr145 said:

Whats the score with Oware? Does McCall not rate him, as did Caldwell or is he some sort of disruptive figure.

He’s fucking rubbish.

Having all the same problem Morton fans warned us about, but doesn’t have Ross Forbes planting set pieces right on his head to score some goals that help hide his inadequacies.

Whats the score with Oware? Does McCall not rate him, as did Caldwell or is he some sort of disruptive figure.

He's sh*te. And he's an arseh*le.

All of us eventually reached the conclusion that Caldwell was a dud (some admittedly far later than others), but he appears to have sussed out O'Ware *and* Bannigan.

The latter's lucky he still has credit in the goodwill bank, but I don't think I could go another game where the two of them pass the ball back and forward between each other.

He’s poor. Had a couple of appearances when Caldwell was in charge, and proved himself to be yet another Caldwell dud.
A bit harsh, no? He made a mistake against Ayr and got 15 minutes at Montrose.

In saying that, he must look absolutely horrendous in training if he can't force his way into McCall's plans. Wonder if Saunders' horror show yesterday will change that.

4 hours ago, Nizzy said:

All of us eventually reached the conclusion that Caldwell was a dud (some admittedly far later than others), but he appears to have sussed out O'Ware *and* Bannigan.

Yup. If the pair of them (or McGinty) had been Caldwell signings from random shite clubs down south, they’d be getting a complete hounding right now from our fans.

So what, apart from ditching most of the players, would you like to see done at the break?

My suggestion would be just to accept that the defence is rank and get a first-rate goalkeeper behind them - say, a youngster on loan from a second-ranking German side (learning English is a selling point). Someone else has pointed out that Tomáš Černy is warming the bench at Aberdeen. Fox is adequate but inconsistent, and we can't afford that. My view is that Sneddon was and is a better option, but perhaps there are reasons for Fox being preferred.

The midfield needs to be gutted, and we need at least one striker, as Millar needs someone to play off and Mansell misses, even when he's in the right place. Scouring the Juniors should have been an option long ago, given the woeful performances, as at least we could get some grit in the team - something that has been missing for years, in several managers' lineups.

12 minutes ago, KelvindaleJag said:

So what, apart from ditching most of the players, would you like to see done at the break?

My suggestion would be just to accept that the defence is rank and get a first-rate goalkeeper behind them - say, a youngster on loan from a second-ranking German side (learning English is a selling point). Someone else has pointed out that Tomáš Černy is warming the bench at Aberdeen. Fox is adequate but inconsistent, and we can't afford that. My view is that Sneddon was and is a better option, but perhaps there are reasons for Fox being preferred.

The midfield needs to be gutted, and we need at least one striker, as Millar needs someone to play off and Mansell misses, even when he's in the right place. Scouring the Juniors should have been an option long ago, given the woeful performances, as at least we could get some grit in the team - something that has been missing for years, in several managers' lineups.

Fox would be fairly low down on order of who I'd want to see binned / replaced. 

Completely agree with the team needs a few players with more fight in them as the majority of the team honestly looked like they couldn't give a f**k on Saturday. 

My main hope is the duff loan signings are gone, if we're lucky a few others mutually consented and then McCall finds a few gems. 

I’ve got kind of the opposite attitude towards fixing this mess as you, @KelvindaleJag The defence is an absolute shambles, and is the one thing we immediately need to fix, imo.

We definitely are light up top and on the wings, and if Miller gets injured or has enough and decides to call it a day, that would be a massive problem; that is undeniable. And whilst we have loads of CMs who all offer pretty much the exact same thing (not very much), at least we’re somewhat serviceable in that department. But not denying the need for improvement/depth in these areas, we do create chances and score goals... sometimes.

The rate at which we ship goals, and how easy it often is for the opposition to score from nothing, though, is the biggest issue currently. 4 CBs who just aren’t up to standard, a total shitebag of a RB, and a LB who, whilst talented, is easily targeted due to his lack of height, strength and general fitness. We’re just a disaster across the whole back line, and we need at least a couple of new bodies there to at least try and not be such an embarrassing soft touch defensively.

What are the chances of McCall getting the sack before the end of the season.

I'm sure he will be given the January window to try and work his magic with  a few signings, but if results keep slipping, how long would he get? Or is he there for the long run, even if relegated?

Someone asked me at the weekend if we would take McCall back if he got the sack - hence the question.

3 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

I'm sure he will be given the January window to try and work his magic with  a few signings, but if results keep slipping, how long would he get? Or is he there for the long run, even if relegated?

Someone asked me at the weekend if we would take McCall back if he got the sack - hence the question.

He’d be kept on even if we went down.

He won’t be sacked even if they’re relegated.

Even so, there’s no good reason to replace Kerr with him.