The Partick Thistle thread

16 hours ago, AMMjag said:

You're definitely not wrong, even when we won the league you were guaranteed a good helping of old b*****ds screaming to get it forward any time there was a sideways or backwards pass. 

The JHS is unbearable to sit in now that there is actually a valid reason to be a moany old b*****d, with a season ticket at Firhill probably being the worst value of any other in the UK atm. 

The passing stuff is what really gets to me these days.  Stealing yards at throw-ins is funny with how raging people get (funnily enough, not when we do the same) but the passing stuff is maddening.  I'm not going to pretend like we play the correct pass 100% of the time.  We absolutely don't.  But if it isn't remotely forward then you get the audible howls and shouts from the crowd despite it often being a very valid ball to play.  They almost seem happier when we punt a shite, aimless ball long and out for a throw-in, just because it went forward.  A short pass backwards to a Thistle player is always going to be a better option than shelling it forward to where Miller should be but often isn't, as it means (usually) we retain possession.  That and the fact that if we actually decided to, you know, move off the fucking ball, then we likely would be playing it forward more.

As for Saturday, I'm not really sure why we're surprised anymore.  Miller is turning more and more into what Kris Doolan did badly in his latter time with us.  Everywhere on the pitch other than where he needs to be.  He's a lot better when he does get the ball than Doolan was, but what's the point in having your most talented forward on the halfway line spraying a ball out wide when it means there's nothing and no-one to get the ball to if we actually do attack?  That and his constant "it's no my fault" act. A lot of the time it isn't, but between him constantly greeting, and the howls from the stands, it must be fucking miserable playing at Firhill for Thistle.

Williamson looked fucking terrified.  Looked uncomfortable on his left foot, on his right foot, just generally on his feet.  

Bannigan had a really poor game.  Constantly looks like the one trying to drive us on, but was in one of his moods where he thought he was Beckenbauer.  Gave the ball away a few times trying to do too much, probably down to the shitebags around him.

Didn't understand Kakay being brought off, unless he wasn't fully fit to do 90.  Looked probably the best option in a sea of shite, even though it's clear he's got very little technical ability.  But he runs.  Sad that that's an added extra for us.

Zanatta started out well, but it looks as though his one trick has already been found out.  He doesn't move that quickly, but seems adept at putting the ball in those little yard spaces where defenders can't get to it.  Only they are now, which makes him look like an absolute jobber.

Bottom line it's going to take McCall a good bit of time and a healthy transfer window to turn things around.

The home form has been horrendous and we need a plan to make ourselves at least hard to beat at Firhill. 

Saturday was poor and not much better than the Dunfermline debacle after Caldwell was sacked.

Players weren't doing basics like passing the ball accurately or tackling opponents.

I believe McCall will turn things around but it won't be instant gratification in any way or form.

He's starting with a shite set of cards it seems just as Caldwell had to a degree and we're not much further forward.

I was willing to give Caldwell a chance so I'll sure as hell give McCall a chance as he has picked up some decent results and we can get some more before January.

No idea if we'll be in the good or bad playoffs come May but I'm hopeful we'll  at least a couple of places further up the league.

Onwards and upwards. I'd be happy with 2 points out of the next two games or even a win. Who knows away from the toxicity of Firhill the team might surprise us...hopefully in a good way.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

The passing stuff is what really gets to me these days.  Stealing yards at throw-ins is funny with how raging people get (funnily enough, not when we do the same) but the passing stuff is maddening.  I'm not going to pretend like we play the correct pass 100% of the time.  We absolutely don't.  But if it isn't remotely forward then you get the audible howls and shouts from the crowd despite it often being a very valid ball to play.  They almost seem happier when we punt a shite, aimless ball long and out for a throw-in, just because it went forward.  A short pass backwards to a Thistle player is always going to be a better option than shelling it forward to where Miller should be but often isn't, as it means (usually) we retain possession.  That and the fact that if we actually decided to, you know, move off the fucking ball, then we likely would be playing it forward more.

As for Saturday, I'm not really sure why we're surprised anymore.  Miller is turning more and more into what Kris Doolan did badly in his latter time with us.  Everywhere on the pitch other than where he needs to be.  He's a lot better when he does get the ball than Doolan was, but what's the point in having your most talented forward on the halfway line spraying a ball out wide when it means there's nothing and no-one to get the ball to if we actually do attack?  That and his constant "it's no my fault" act. A lot of the time it isn't, but between him constantly greeting, and the howls from the stands, it must be fucking miserable playing at Firhill for Thistle.

Williamson looked fucking terrified.  Looked uncomfortable on his left foot, on his right foot, just generally on his feet.  

Bannigan had a really poor game.  Constantly looks like the one trying to drive us on, but was in one of his moods where he thought he was Beckenbauer.  Gave the ball away a few times trying to do too much, probably down to the shitebags around him.

Didn't understand Kakay being brought off, unless he wasn't fully fit to do 90.  Looked probably the best option in a sea of shite, even though it's clear he's got very little technical ability.  But he runs.  Sad that that's an added extra for us.

Zanatta started out well, but it looks as though his one trick has already been found out.  He doesn't move that quickly, but seems adept at putting the ball in those little yard spaces where defenders can't get to it.  Only they are now, which makes him look like an absolute jobber.

Well that's right cheered me up 😂

Although I tend to agree with almost everything you say. Except I'm hoping Zanatta was just treading carefully following injury and will be better next week. 

Maybe need my head examined, but actually looking forward to Ayr because of our away form and also... it's Ayr away.

ETA: Forgot about Dundee Utd, but not going to that, may need to confirm later in the week if I'm still looking forward to Ayr game. 

Edited by thistledo

On 26/10/2019 at 19:32, Nightmare said:

Tam O’Ware looking more like a Martin Woods-esque imposter with every passing week. Can’t do his own job, and when he’s not giving the ball away or failing to cut out simple crosses, spends his time pointing and shouting at others.

That sounds familiar.

On 27/10/2019 at 00:05, Hammer Jag said:

Going to Firhill is a soul destroying experience. The smell of festering horse shite as soon as you proceed through the John Lambie Stand turnstiles sets the tone for the day.

Said stand is packed full of grumpy, seething old men. They offer no encouragement or support to the team whatsoever, irrespective of the circumstances. The first mis-placed pass is met with howls of discontent. A hilarious, ridiculously misplaced sense of Old Firm-esq entitlement exists. 

For a lot of these old duffers, it’s just an excuse to vent for 90 minutes. 90 minutes of tedious, unintelligible, foaming at the mouth nonsense. The same people shouting the same shite every fucking week.

I’m absolutely fucking sick of it. 

It's all the Thistle fans' fault - good to clear that up.

I'm not sure how expecting something other than 5 consecutive home league defeats in the second tier constitutes "misplaced Old Firm-esq entitlement"

Theres a growing number of Thistle fans, mainly weans tbf, who for the last couple of years seem to spend an increasing amount of time on twitter tagging players and giving them abuse because they've had a shite game on a Saturday. De Vita getting it now. Aye that'll help his confidence, publicly tagging the c**t and humilating him online.  Cretins.

Edited by Firhill_Basin

Some old duffer sat in front of me at the weekend, never seen him before and I've sat in the same row for years. 

Anyway, he got disproportionately enraged by fairly blatant decisions, often standing up to remonstrate.

When Arbroath scored their third, he stormed out, leaving (presumably) his wife and granddaughter behind to endure the rest of the game.

Tremendous shithousery - a real life Football Manager rage quit.

Rather than 'soul destroying', it fair made my day. Much more than the shite on the pitch.

Long live the old duffers.

Since we've just completed 25% of the league season, can you summarise each player in 25 words or less? 

Goalkeepers

• Scott Fox

Still doesn’t command his 6-yard box or pose any opposition from penalties. Mute. Save of season against QoTS. Feel money could've been spent better elsewhere.

• Jamie Sneddon

Good potential but pathway blocked by Fox. Needs games if he’s going to develop.

Full Backs

• Ryan Williamson

Bambi on ice. Timid. Decent enough going forward, fairly inept defensively, slightly reminiscent of early SOD in that respect. Don’t expect him to be SOD.

• Osman Kakay

Seems decent going forward, questionable defensively. Did okay on the wing against Arbroath but we need more from wingers than that.

• James Penrice

Hasn’t progressed as hoped. Still unconvinced that LB is best position. That said, he's the best full back we have.

•  Tommy Robson

Rarely completes a game. No better than Penrice at LB and got no business further forward. Not a fan.

Centre Backs

• Sean McGinty

Cops a lot of flak from some quarters. Definitely unconvincing. Committed though. Not the best we’ve had but not the worst.

• Tam O’Ware

A bit cumbersome and quick to point the finger. Have to remember he’s coming back from long-term injury though.

• Steven Saunders

Steady enough but seems prone to episodes of sheer ineptitude (White goal vs ICT).  

• Ben Hall

Haven’t seen him. Doesn’t say much if he can’t get near the team. Away in January surely.

Centre Midfielders

• Stuart Bannigan

Not enjoying best form but frankly playing with players not as good as him. Injury has certainly taken some of him. Still vital.

•  Reece Cole

Talented but seems too adjusted to passive, non-competitive football. Happier to pass than shoot. Reminds me of Kyle Hutton.

• Shea Gordon

Often does little of any note other than score. Makes good runs into box. Need more from him out of possession. Has to influence more.

• Gary Harkins

Big, baldy, glorious genius but don’t know how physically able he is anymore. Still a game-changer on his day.

• Craig Slater

Just back from injury but tidy player at this level on his day.

• Cammy Palmer

Fairly raw. Good worker. Unfortunate to find himself out the team at the minute.

Wingers

• Rafa De Vita

Old and fucking shite. 

•  Joe Cardle

A thoroughly unlikeable, angry wee man. Slow and one footed. Despite that, better team with him in it. 

• Dario Zanatta

Will get you out of your seat on his day. Will also get you out of your seat in frustration when not on his day.

Strikers

• Lewis Mansell

Raw but has been a nuisance any time I saw him last year. Did well off bench at Dundee.

• Alex Jones

Didn’t see him before he got injured which was no surprise seeing as he’s been injured everywhere he’s been.

• Kenny Miller

Sceptical but been good signing. Trying to do too much outside box, 8 goals shows where he is best. Not surprised if away January though.

• Mitch Austin

If you say ‘Mitch Austin’ into the mirror three times, he appears with a Playstation headset on. At least we're represented in the e-Sports world.

Fox- not as good as he thinks he is, weaknesses from first spell have not been improved.

Sneddon- think this is his level but not much between him and Fox.

Williamson- exactly as advertised by Dunfermline fans.

Kakay- signed to fix the above problem at RB but has ended up playing RW. We can surely do better in January?

Penrice- Maybe still a player in there for this level but lack of pace will prevent progression.

Robson- looks about 15 years old on the field, hasn’t stood out in a good way.

O’Ware- turned into Virgil Van Dijk in some fans minds when out injured. Closer to Dick van Dyke performance-wise since he came back.

McGinty- can’t fault him for effort but can fault him for ability. Lots.

Saunders- probably the best of a bad bunch at CB which speaks volumes

Hall- decent pedigree but howler vs Ayr, never seen since and must be bad in training if can’t get a look in since

Bannigan- will never be the pre 2016 injury version, McCall still clearly think he can fix him to an extent. Fingers crossed.

Harkins- never had any pace to lose but still looks cooked

Palmer- will probably go on and do OK elsewhere but not currently a level above what we have which is not great

Cole- looked tidy enough and technically good in limited game time, but high chance he’s another sicknote

Gordon- will touch the ball 6 times a game, you just have to hope 2 of them are goals.

Slater - flatters to deceive, think he might be better further forward than we normally play him though 

Cardle- will always blow hot and cold but has been frozen for about 2 months

Zanatta- the most flattering debut since McConalogue? Looked tremendous vs Ayr but has been worked out easily since

De Vita- forgot about him when doing this list originally which probably sums it up.

Miller- as frustrating to me for Thistle as with Scotland but for different reasons.  We’d be worse off without him though.

Jones- showed very little before his inevitable injury

Mansell- occasionally threatens to look decent before reverting to competition winner level. May benefit from loan if we can strengthen in January.

Austin- seems to be enjoying his gap year, probably does well working behind the bar in Walkabout and streaming FIFA games.

Liked the two previous posts, not  lot to argue about - quite the contrary.

High spots: 'Bambi on Ice.; agree Palmer - must be wondering what he's done to upset Bunter if he cant get a game; De VIta summed up perfectly in first post, a 'never-has-been'; 'occasionally threatens to look decent before reverting '; Austin serving Fosters in Walkabout.

What a shower of duds (mainly). I trust Bunter has the P45s written out already, just waiting to hand them out.

8 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

Some old duffer sat in front of me at the weekend, never seen him before and I've sat in the same row for years. 

Anyway, he got disproportionately enraged by fairly blatant decisions, often standing up to remonstrate.

When Arbroath scored their third, he stormed out, leaving (presumably) his wife and granddaughter behind to endure the rest of the game.

Tremendous shithousery - a real life Football Manager rage quit.

Rather than 'soul destroying', it fair made my day. Much more than the shite on the pitch.

Long live the old duffers.

Some old duffer made you a Thistle fan in the first place mate ! They have had to put up with being a jags fan for years.. After all the shitey years they are still going to firhill with their family. 

The posts above are pretty much spot on. Would be keen to see Cole get a run. I guess Hall deserves another chance (but without expectations). My only disagreement is that I thought Jones looked quite tidy on the ball. Would be happy to see him play under McCall (or at least get a chance).

14 minutes ago, Justin Lee Pineapple Head said:

Play Off position this year methinks, unless the Jobby can manage to get in at least 6/7 new signings in January!

Wtf has happened to WAT btw? Is it time to start a new forum for Thistle where we can rant away?

We've some amount of shite in the squad. Hopefully McCall will move on most of them.