The Partick Thistle thread

Fan ownership always seems the kind of thing that a club gets when there is no other option, when someone has run the club into the ground, and it's up to the fans to save it. 

We have a potential takeover by a billionaire consortium, and our fans can't even hide their abject Fury when we play a square pass. My supports with the big 'uns

I e-mailed them last week with some questions and I got ignored. I see someone asked them on twitter earlier about their contributions outside of Weir. Can't say I expect them to get an answer either.

There was Goodwin a couple of weeks ago like a right lemon with his retro shirt on outside Firhill talking to STV that he was approachable via phone, e-mail, text, morse code whatever the f**k. Is he a genuine Thistle fan or just one of these talking heads who is always seen when theres chat about a fans group wanting to become involved in a club? I've never seen the guy in my puff and suddenly hes Mr Thistle.

I don't think it went well for him at Stirling Albion, and his SFSA wheeze is one of the least trustworthy organisations in existence. Every statement they make is based on half-truths at best. For example, they claim to have something ridiculous like 50,000 members, which is purely based on the number of people who at one point signed up for their mailing list.

At least the feel good factor lasted about a week this time. Doolan’s testimonial, Caldwell’s sacking and McCall’s appointment brought about a sense of unity to the club and fanbase (even in spite of the events on the park on Saturday), something which has been absent for the best part of two and a half years. A day after McCall’s appointment, and we’re back to a clusterfuck again with statements from Trusts and disruption behind the scenes again.

The “fan owned” model would not work at Thistle for the reasons mentioned previously. With the Weir involvement, it’s pretty evident that Low is looking to snake her way back in, which is undoubtedly a horrific move any way you look at it. Colin Weir isn’t the diehard Thistle fan that he seems to desperately make himself out to be. Has literally anyone known him to have attended Firhill at any point prior to his investment?

The lack of actual detail from NCC and their intentions has been a pain in the arse but Beattie actually gave more information about it yesterday than he has since he re-joined the club. He said it could happen within the next three to four weeks, and having no knowledge of the ins and outs of football club takeovers, I would assume that once things are closer to being finalised, more information will be released.

Either way, the AGM on Thursday should be some buzz.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think it went well for him at Stirling Albion, and his SFSA wheeze is one of the least trustworthy organisations in existence. Every statement they make is based on half-truths at best. For example, they claim to have something ridiculous like 50,000 members, which is purely based on the number of people who at one point signed up for their mailing list.

Cheers. He seems a bit of a strange fellow.

I can't actually see Low being back in a position of power if the TFE thing goes ahead, I think even she knows she's at best divisive and at worst very unpopular.

My main issue with the fan owned model is that I can't see how any required funding after the initial stage is generated, are we going to have extra pledges per month of top of season tickets / sponsorship etc? Home crowds of 2000-2500, maybe up to 3000 if we got back up (somehow), doesn't seem to work and I can't see how we wouldn't be reliant on Weir to plug financial holes frequently.

Still, at least they have at this stage a plan - however fanciful-to get us back into the top half of the top division, which is more than we know about the NCC group. The statement from the PTFC Trust that Beattie said the board haven't done any due diligence is worrying, although it's probably better than the Jags Trust version of DD which appeared to be googling the plot of the film "Moneyball".

I have my concerns about both, and not helped by a lot of people on twitter I think are wallopers being on the side of NCC, and a lot of people I think are wallopers being on the side of TFE.

In short, we're probably fucked either way and most of our fans are wallopers.

Wonder who the Firhill three were?. I will assume Bannigan, O’Ware and perhaps Sneddon who was promised a shot at being No1 this season or Cardle  who always seemed to get more abuse from Caldwell than any other player

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4759677/gary-caldwell-partick-thistle-celtic-meeting-sacked/

Edited by Sting777

2 hours ago, Sting777 said:

Wonder who the Firhill three were?. I will assume Bannigan, O’Ware and perhaps Sneddon who was promised a shot at being No1 this season or Cardle  who always seemed to get more abuse from Caldwell than any other player

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4759677/gary-caldwell-partick-thistle-celtic-meeting-sacked/

What a fucking travesty of an article. That bit about emailing Lawwell who arranged tickets is pathetic. Is it really that difficult just to pay yourself into the game if you really wanted to go? 

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Or were unilaterally added to his list by him, in the case of the Tell Him He’s Pele e-mail account. 

3 hours ago, Sting777 said:

I was all set to allow this predictable, whining, self-justificatory tosh from an utter rag to wind me up, but the following two details made it worthwhile:

1) He complains that he was fired suddenly after no warning, having done a solid job for the club this season ("sure, some of those wins were against lower league teams" - hahaha) and that this was disrespectful.  Hmmm, remind you of anyone else, who did a lot more than you for the club, Gary?

2) He appears to have been given his jotters in a travel tavern in Penrith.  Still, I'm sure he'll soon be bouncing back.

Edited by VictorOnopko

8 hours ago, Firhill_Basin said:

I've just kinda slaughtered him in my previous post, but could you provide more info ta.

Most famously he wanted to rename Stirling Albion after a sponsorship deal with a certain insurance company (which the SPFL would never have allowed and he clearly only did it for the media attention as he seems to think that media coverage = £££££), he attempted to rename the stadium after a sponsorship deal despite the club not actually owning the stadium and as far as I understand the membership got so pissed off with him and his running of the club that they ousted him after a season.

All waffle no substance.

Edited by Jason King

Deserves to be out of work for life for calling his wean “Jayden” imho.

51 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Or were unilaterally added to his list by him, in the case of the Tell Him He’s Pele e-mail account. 

I've never signed up to the SFSA newsletter but I get it sent to my inbox.

Am I one of their 70,000 members? Is Paul Goodwin GDPR compliant?

Fan ownership is a great idea, and I would contribute a monthly amount to be a part of it as long as there was transparency of plans / performance and democracy in key decisions, but the issue is with who runs the club? Our fans can’t even run a supporters trust (or two). We need a small but professional team to ensure we’re run sustainably (sort of like the current BoD...) and I have no idea where that would come from under a fan owned model. Is there even any evidence of a fan owned model actually working that we could learn from / copy? Motherwell?

Also, anyone saying that we have a plan to get back to top 6 is mental - we have no right to be top 6, and with a sustainable fan owned model it would be even harder. And Paul Goodwin has always come across as a diddy. Red flags all over the place...