The Partick Thistle thread

23 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Wrong again. There are some fuds on P&B but you always out do them. Trot on about 4 posts and have a word with Nightmare about sticking to the ‘official line’. 

The official line is that Ian McCall was on our shortlist (likely as #1) and we’ve got him...

I have no problem with that either; I was basing my preference for Lennon on the fact that McCall has had his chance and Lennon hasn’t. As I said numerous times, though, was happy with either one of them as our manager.

And I get it - you’re taking the ‘said no Thistle fan ever’ line literally. If you start doing that on P&B you’re gonna be sitting here all night quoting old posts, tbh. Best to wind it in.

6 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Imagine telling a Partick Thistle fan 4 or 5 years ago that Ian McCall would be back as manager and they'd be chuffed with it.

All the revisionism in the world won't change that fact you'd all have been appalled.

I genuinely don’t think this is correct.

I think we’d be disappointed that we’d gone backwards as a club such that we were having to make those kinds of choices in the second tier, but I don't think the fans would have been “appalled” at the notion that one day we’d be back in the second tier, one day McCall would conquer his demons and one day the timing would be right for another rebuilding exercise.

I think we probably would have been very underwhelmed if he came back following, say, the sacking or otherwise departure of Archie while we were in the Premiership.

The unlikelihood of McCall coming back to Thistle was always about his relationship with the board and the manner of his departure, rather than his potential as a manager.

Imagine telling a Partick Thistle fan 4 or 5 years ago that Ian McCall would be back as manager and they'd be chuffed with it.
All the revisionism in the world won't change that fact you'd all have been appalled.

McCall’s stock is a lot higher and ours is a lot lower. If you were to have told me 4 or 5 years ago that McCall would’ve done a good job with Ayr and we’d be struggling in the second tier I would’ve believed it tbh.

29 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Dunfermline went from top flight to 7th place in League One in the space of 3 years. And of course there were mitigating financial circumstances around that, but it’s really not surprising for the fortunes of a team in Scottish football to change drastically in a period of 5 years.

United from Europe to relegated. Killie from continual relegation fodder to 3rd place. Etc.

Edited by Nightmare

Crash helmet on..........

Genuinely don’t get this Archibald love in. Yes, he got us promoted and kept us up. But his last 18 months in the post seem to have been erased from a lot of people’s memories. He got us relegated and the last squad he built was an absolute shower of shite hence why he was sacked. A bit like someone knocking down a building and then returning to the scene a year later offering to rebuild it.

34 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Horseshit^^^

McCall began the process of removing us from the laughing stock file 1st time around and I always respected the job he did. 

Surprised maybe, never appalled 

38 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Nonsense. McCall is widely credited for laying the foundations of one of our most successful periods.  I was disappointed when he left and I'm delighted he's back. 

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

The official line is that Ian McCall was on our shortlist (likely as #1) and we’ve got him...

I have no problem with that either; I was basing my preference for Lennon on the fact that McCall has had his chance and Lennon hasn’t. As I said numerous times, though, was happy with either one of them as our manager.

And I get it - you’re taking the ‘said no Thistle fan ever’ line literally. If you start doing that on P&B you’re gonna be sitting here all night quoting old posts, tbh. Best to wind it in.

Literally. That I did. It is important to point out lies every now and again. I will leave you to celebrate now.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Imagine telling a Partick Thistle fan 2 or 3 years ago that Kevin Nisbet would be Dunfermline's main striker and Pars fans would be happy with it. We'd have had to assume your decline had ended up in the lower reaches of the seaside leagues again.

All the attempted points scoring in the world wont change the fact players and managers can improve and teams (not unlile yourselves) can regress.

Stop being bitter just cause our board had the balls to sack our shambles of a manager and yours apparently do not.

2 hours ago, Sting777 said:

His wages have stopped, he has a family to look after, he is back at a club he loves and hopefully he will learn things from McCall that could even see him taking over again in 3 years time. No brainer!

'Hopefully' when appended to any comment about Alan's managerial record after summer 2017 is one of the reasons Thistle are doing khazi business at the bottom of the championship.

For the sake of the club he'll have to find his feet and convince sceptics like me he's past the rabbit in the headlights routine. 

Anyhoo ...

'Hopefully' when appended to any comment about Alan's managerial record after summer 2017 is one of the reasons Thistle are doing khazi business at the bottom of the championship.
For the sake of the club he'll have to find his feet and convince sceptics like me he's past the rabbit in the headlights routine. 
Anyhoo ...
At least you'll have your scapegoat nice and handy.