The Partick Thistle thread

Delighted (and a little surprised) that the board has acted quickly this time around.  GC is obviously quite a toxic character, so it's very pleasing that he has been punted before he can do any more damage.  Kenny Miller obviously isn't the answer, but if he is interim then he can stay in post for as long as he wins games, starting Saturday.

As Shankly said: football is a simple game complicated by idiots. There could not be a more succinct description of Gary Caldwell’s management career.

I found it almost impossible to get behind Caldwell from the outset. I did try – his record at Wigan was fairly good up until promotion and his spell at Chesterfield sounded like it had mitigating reasons for turning out so disastrously (if you listened to Caldwell, anyway).

But all this talk about free-flowing, possession-based football like Martinez was absolutely and utterly without the slightest bit of substance. There wasn’t the faintest hint of an ‘identity’ – sorry, that’s not true; you could identify a Caldwell team from a mile away but not for any redeeming reason.

Caldwell is so infatuated with the style of play adopted by Martinez that he’s actually went on record, multiple times, to say that he won’t change the way he plays. This is delusion on a grand scale – Caldwell’s teams play nothing like Martinez’s.

The ‘genuine footballing insight’ that some folk lapped up in the summer was obviously not imparted to those that matter most. I don’t doubt that Alex Ferguson invited him round for tea to talk tactics or that he probably skooshed the coaching badges; but his ability to communicate coaching ideas to a squad of Scottish footballers (or any nationality for that matter) is clearly lacking.

He regularly hung his players out to dry; the Morton pumping last season comes straight to mind. He also tried at every opportunity to blame the previous regime; even until a few weeks ago, attempting to insidiously lay the blame for malcontent at the feet of two players he didn’t sign in Bannigan and O’Ware.

He dressed up squeezing Squiddy out the back door as a budget saving exercise – despite that fucking imposter Low claiming that more funds would be released in January. The real truth is that he was threatened by senior members in the squad that weren’t there of his own volition.

There was the whole Coulibaly fiasco; I sometimes scratch my head and think, did that really happen? Kind of like Tam having a wean in Still Game. If you believe Coulibaly, which granted does take a bit of a leap, he was fit to play; indeed, he played in most reserve games to my knowledge. If you believe Caldwell (similar leap required), he wasn’t training and was turning up late. Like most things, the truth is likely somewhere in the middle but it was further evidence of an inability to manage people already at a club and affect change.

McDonald came in on an absolute king’s ransom and saved his bacon, despite signing pretty much a whole new team. There was no managerial nous involved in our survival – we simply lucked out in getting a player who was still capable of playing at a higher level than our opposition.

The unceremonious dumping of Doolan was despicable and was the last straw for many folk, myself included.

His signing policy has been what I’d best describe as scattergun – is there any player he’s signed, Zanatta apart, who we could potentially look at selling on in a few years? Nobody that I can see. The fact he wanted (and was allegedly promised) even more money to spend is frightening. God knows the amount it's taken to pay off his two-year rolling (!!!) contract. Another fine mess thanks to the previous board.

Bet your bottom dollar that he’ll be on Sportsound within a month, claiming that he’s been hard done by and being supported by gormless c***s like Chic Young.

52 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

The ‘genuine footballing insight’ that some folk lapped up in the summer was obviously not imparted to those that matter most. I don’t doubt that Alex Ferguson invited him round for tea to talk tactics or that he probably skooshed the coaching badges; but his ability to communicate coaching ideas to a squad of Scottish footballers (or any nationality for that matter) is clearly lacking.

Yup. I asked at the last meet the manager night if he felt the players were understanding what he was telling them, that they could explain back to him and each other what was expected of them. Gary confirmed that they did understand what he asked them to do. Performances indicate that either this was not the case or they understood but declined to implement it for some reason, e.g. his man management.

Edited by Flashman

I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Archie back tbh.

I wouldn’t be surprised and wouldn’t be against it if it was an interim deal until the end of the season. The time away will have done him good, and we could rush into much worse permanent appointments.

Don’t see us bringing McCall back (and not sure that would be the best move for him or us) and not totally convinced by Lennon - that said, both would be perfectly acceptable. Not sure the current situation would be ideal for Craigan’s first management job, but again would be a popular choice.

2 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:
9 minutes ago, Sting777 said:
Allison, Britton and Miller in charge for Saturday

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/club-statement-8/

Shambles the new board want to bring Weir back on board due to his money but he wants a bigger say in things . he should wipe the lot out

No.

The club's been a fiasco since Beattie left. We're just now getting rid of blight at the club and it seems Weir was part of it.

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Unaware of previously suggested but I heard Jim McIntyre was available...

He is available and will be one of the favourites. 

Derek Adams is another possibility but could be a controversial appointment. He got Plymouth promoted to League One. and kept them up for a season before being punted.

Both would be a big upgrade on Calamity Caldwell.