The Partick Thistle thread

The mistake with Archibald was to trap ourselves by not taking the difficult decision at a “natural” break off point. Instead we went with the rationale that now’s always a bad time to be hasty until the range of options rapidly closed.

For what it’s worth I think he would have kept us up with the same resources as Caldwell, and I think he would have then moved on. It would have meant he passed on a club with some experienced pros from which someone else could then build the nucleus of a new team.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Genuine question, but do you think if you held onto Archibald you'd be better off right now?

He fully deserved the bullet from you, but it wasn't that long ago he was looking like being the next big thing in Scottish football management. If he'd weathered the storm of a pish season, last season, do you think he'd have had you doing better this season?

Yeah, we’d have been better off if we’d kept Archibald. I’m certain he wouldn’t have had us in a relegation scrap until the final day of last season.

It was absolutely the right decision for him to go, though, and as previously suggested by someone else, the time to do that was after relegation from the Premiership. Just a shame that when he did go, we replaced him with this fucking charlatan.

14 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Doolan's big day tomorrow. 

FB_IMG_1568492393516.thumb.jpg.e433ee14ad8a936491399eda30fe0cff.jpg

I can't say I'm a big fan of that programme cover but no doubt I'll get one or two. 

Apparently he is giving half today’s earnings to charity- absolutely incredible guy.  A true gentleman 

He won’t have made a fortune from football and there’s plenty of multimillionaire footballers who won’t have given a penny to charity from their testimonials.

14 hours ago, Walter said:

I am too. We would have been relegated long before the final day of the season.

Correct. Archibald assembled one of the worst Thistle squads I have ever seen, which includes Gerry Collins' and Britton/Whyte's efforts. Caldwell did an adequate job last season.

Things we learned today:

Doolan will be back.

So will Erskine.

Rowson should come out of retirement and shore up our midfield.

Tomas Cerny would waste time at the till to stop his gran buying a loaf of bread at the local corner shop.

Oh and basically everyone ever connected with Partick Thistle doesn’t have a good word to say about Gary Caldwell.

Edited by Ad Lib

49 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Things we learned today:

Doolan will be back.

So will Erskine.

Rowson should come out of retirement and shore up our midfield.

Tomas Cerny would waste time at the till to stop his gran buying a loaf of bread at the local corner shop.

Oh and basically everyone ever connected with Partick Thistle doesn’t have a good word to say about Gary Caldwell.

Watching ATS flying down the left gave me a warm fuzzy feeling, along with seeing SOD back in a Thistle strip and Lindsay at half time (along with Elliot too who, credit to him, was glowing about the club). Honestly looks like ATS would still be better than most of our left back options. Also quite nice that Paton was willing to overlook some of the, ah, less than friendly treatment over the last few years to turn out for Doolan.

Bit gutted I never quite caught what Charnley said about McNamara over the bench interview, sounded like he called him a p***k or something, ha.

Rowson looked in good shape yeah, as did Hardie and a few others. Commons has put on the beef a bit, Barry Robson looks like he's still in good nick. Could see why Donati was at AC Milan, too.

Chuckled a bit at the line that some of that football was the best Thistle have played in the past 2 seasons. Probably true enough, notwithstanding the standard of opposition.

Agree that Doolan and Erskine will be back one day, and with open arms too.

A good day all round, and a solid turnout for an all time great.

edit: Doolan's wee girl looked like she had a ball too, and the wee boy refusing to say anything mean about Cerny at the half time penalties was heartwarming. "No."

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

That was a tremendous day out. It was a joy to watch the spine of the Championship winning team again. The game was entertaining enough and Celtic played their part too. Barry Robson was terrific entertainment given how seriously he was taking it. Erskine and O’Donnell spoke well and there seemed to be a reasonable turn out.

The only negative was that the whole event just reiterated how much I resent the charlatan we currently have at the helm for ripping the life and soul out of the club. Hopefully it won’t be long before we can have a club to be proud of again.

Surprised to hear that ATS is still without a club. Would take him over Penrice or Robson every day of the week.

A great day at Firhill, but in a strange way also kind of sobering. The lineup to start the game was a grim reminder of what we very recently used to have, and when you compare it to the shite we’re trotting out every week now, it’s just so sad.

Of everyone on the pitch, Lawless seemed to be trying very hard (I wonder why...), as did Barry Robson for Celtic. I thought Donati was a class act for them as well, and you can still tell he used to be a very, very good player. Glad Doolan got a ‘real’ goal after the shambles of a one they were desperate to give him a few minutes earlier.

Lindsay and Christie as well - top lads. All in all though, a great day.

Brilliant seeing the promotion team back together. I should emphasise the word ‘team’. A group of players who clearly would run through a brick wall for each other on the park and good friends off it. Coupled with a likeable management team who the players respected. How times have changed.

Caldwell out