The Partick Thistle thread

Gary Caldwell is the shite and the bag in which it is kept, the piss and the stain it leaves. The plague and the boils lanced in respect of it.

He needs punted into the Sun so that the atoms of which his body consists can usefully be made subject of nuclear fusion and at least facilitate the continued existence, rather than the slow and inexorable demise of, this universe.

16 hours ago, forameus said:

EDIT: And I know he's scored, but whatever we're paying Kenny Miller is too fucking much.  I think getting rid of Doolan was probably the right decision in a footballing sense, but to replace him with someone like Miller, on probably decent wages, is something you just can't dress up as anything approaching a good decision.

Releasing Doolan wasn’t a football decision in the first place, imo. Caldwell has tried to clear out anyone who the fans have an emotional attachment to, regardless of their performances on the pitch. I don’t disagree that it was time for a change (re. Doolan, Erskine, Elliott) but I do think Caldwell has done it to prove some sort of “this is my team now” point, rather than because they weren’t effective on the park.

That said, 6 goals in 11 games playing in this rabble is a good return so far for Miller. He spends a lot of time coming deep to get the ball, but more often that not gets in the right place at important times, such as last night. Been quite happy with him so far. One of very few players I can say that for.

Doolans testimonial has fair crept up!

Info on the os:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/matchday-information-on-behalf-of-the-kris-doolan-testimonial-committee/

Only face missing from the thistle line up I'd like to have seen is Mark Roberts, other than that it's pretty much a fantasy side. Nice to see Liam Buchanan in there too, had a good spell with us.

Will try not to reflexively make hissing noises whenever mcnamara gets on the ball.

Edit: nice change being able to look forward to going to firhill too.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I was relatively behind him until last night,. Theres been a core of Thistle fans who have hunted him since day one because he succeeded Archibald. Stuff like the "promotion was his remit" was nothing more than a soundbite to convey positivity and totally unrealistic given the circumstances.

Hes had a clean go at it this year however, and what I've seen more or less has been rubbish. We have some good players, we have a big squad. We are nowhere near promotion, probably going to struggle over the course again and theres teams with a fraction of our resources evidently doing better. Last night was the point of no return for me, it was dreadful. Even sneaking a win last night would have delayed the inevitable.

I'm fine with Lennon or McCall in the medium term. I think we need to shed this image of clinging to people with an association to the club however. Its a big part of our weak mentality, we're scared to take risks outside of the box, we pigeon hole ourselves with this mindset. Only fans should run the club, long serving players are irreplaceable, only ex players/legends should manage the club. Its a load of nonsense.  Wish the fans would look at things more objectively without the emotion attached to it every single time.

Edited by Firhill_Basin

Blaming loyalty for our current predicament would have a bit more credibility if bringing in an outside no-mark with zero affection or prior link to the club and punting long-standing reliable players to better football teams hadn’t been such an unmitigated disaster.

This club performs at its best when there is leadership and when the right attitudes are encouraged and rewarded.

Those things can be found beyond the Thistle community but frankly why cast the net so wide when recent experience shows that when we do we cast it shallowly as f**k.

Genuine question, but do you think if you held onto Archibald you'd be better off right now?

He fully deserved the bullet from you, but it wasn't that long ago he was looking like being the next big thing in Scottish football management. If he'd weathered the storm of a pish season, last season, do you think he'd have had you doing better this season?

Like others, I have been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after the way we played after new year, but that is now looking solely down to the Skippy signing. Last night was abysmal and you can only think that a defeat next week would seal his fate, finances permitting. A few names have been bandied about but If it happens I would be happy to give Craigan a chance.  I believe he has left his Motherwell u/21 job plus BT loses the Premier League coverage next season (I think) He might be up for it. He was very highly rated at Fir Park. 

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Genuine question, but do you think if you held onto Archibald you'd be better off right now?

He fully deserved the bullet from you, but it wasn't that long ago he was looking like being the next big thing in Scottish football management. If he'd weathered the storm of a pish season, last season, do you think he'd have had you doing better this season?

He should have left immediately after the Livi play off game but as for your question, yes, I think we would be better off, but not by much!!

Edited by Sting777

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

We were so bad for so long that if he was going to turn it around it would have happened long before he got sacked. I can't remember the exact number but I'm fairly sure we went something like a full calendar year without an away win. 

2 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

We were so bad for so long that if he was going to turn it around it would have happened long before he got sacked. I can't remember the exact number but I'm fairly sure we went something like a full calendar year without an away win. 

No doubt, but he was also a big reason you went up and then finished in the top 6 too.

2 shite seasons on the bounce, absolutely deserved to be punted, no question on that front, my question is more if he survived, do you think you'd be in a decent state for this season under his management?

Hell, we might be looking at him if McPake has a disastrous season!