The Partick Thistle thread

Facts are if it wasn’t for Colin Weir the club would have had a substantial debt hanging over it the minute Beattie decided to walk out the building. At this moment in time there is no proof that the club is in any financial difficulties. That might change at the AGM, who knows. We now have a board member stating that the shareholders were NOT concerned about the direction the club was going in under the old board and had no idea he had signed a statement saying otherwise.  You couldn’t make it up! 

Edited by Sting777

10 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Anyone else think Banzo is going through a Christie-esque crisis of confidence with the captain's armband? 🤔

Been dreadful so far this season, possibly our weakest performer. Captain’s armband does appear to be cursed these days. I’m blaming Abdul Osman.

19 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Been dreadful so far this season, possibly our weakest performer. Captain’s armband does appear to be cursed these days. I’m blaming Abdul Osman.

If it had been any other player,  he would have been subbed on Friday. That’s as bad as I can ever remember from him. Passed constantly to Und players and his reaction to hitting the wall (5 yards) was disgraceful and something I have never seen from him before. If this was later on in the season I would say he was burnt out. 

3 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

If it had been any other player,  he would have been subbed on Friday. That’s as bad as I can ever remember from him. Passed constantly to Und players and his reaction to hitting the wall (5 yards) was disgraceful and something I have never seen from him before. If this was later on in the season I would say he was burnt out. 

The lack of willingness to run after that dismal free kick reminded me of the time he ducked in the wall at Pittodrie.  His form is a big worry as we are (yet again) struggling badly in midfield this season.

So Britton was promising him players even though he'd spent all his transfer budget and the additional money wasnt there to be spent.

The new board have come in and said, haud the bus, you've had your budget, you've spent it. We need to start running break even before you get more money.

Not sure of the timeline, but it is possible that the £200K was extra as a result of Fitzpatrick and Lindsay deals.
However, under old board this year’s spending was going to result in deficit. New board comes in and redirects Fitzpatrick and Lindsay money to get rid of the deficit ?

17 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

However, under old board this year’s spending was going to result in deficit. New board comes in and redirects Fitzpatrick and Lindsay money to get rid of the deficit ?

Sounds like it, aye. So either the previous board didn’t know what they were doing with the finances, or were gambling hundreds of thousands on promotion this year. Which, let’s be honest, is negligent as f**k whichever way you look at it.

6 hours ago, Sting777 said:

I have read everything today. There are faults on both sides. Do you want to tell me what the club does if this takeover doesn’t place?? Beattie and Co want out. Not a lot of people out there wanting to invest in a small Glasgow football club. Who cleared the substantial debt that Beattie and Co ran up? Oh that’s right, it was Colin Weir!!! Maybe this will remind you that your “bullshit line he’s a lifelong fan” was used by Beattie when the Weirs put their hands in their pockets to clear the clubs debt run up by Beattie and the board. Maybe you could also enlighten us about who put Jacqui Lowe in charge. I don’t know,  but have to assume it was your man Beattie, along with the other shareholders!! If you know otherwise, please let us know!

Looks like you are the one with an agenda and a very short memory!!

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish-daily-mail/20151208/283347586122985

Say what you like about Beattie but he categorically did not run-up Thistle’s debt.

He joined the Board and bought shares in the Club *while* people like Cowan and Hughes were running it at a six figure annual loss and around a time when we were forced to sell Harkins and Twaddle to stem a cash flow problem from an HMRC demand.

But for the intervention of Beattie and then Billy Allan it seems very likely we wouldn’t have a club, because we would have been wound-up. It was their involvement that saw the Club’s finances go from a substantial annual deficit to a modest profit.

Even with debt interest repayment, we were operating at a profit in the second tier without Colin Weir’s money. Granted, the debt was being paid down very slowly, and Weir’s cash injection essentially freed us from both the principal of the debt AND the interest accruing on it (and that was an amazing gesture for which Thistle fans should always be grateful). But let’s not pretend Weir was (at that point) bailing Beattie out. A guy who, let’s remember, paid an annual director’s fee to support the club, and who was the chairman when Colin Weir was first persuaded to support it financially.

47 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Granted, the debt was being paid down very slowly, and Weir’s cash injection essentially freed us from both the principal of the debt AND the interest accruing on it (and that was an amazing gesture for which Thistle fans should always be grateful). But let’s not pretend Weir was (at that point) bailing Beattie out. A guy who, let’s remember, paid an annual director’s fee to support the club, and who was the chairman when Colin Weir was first persuaded to support it financially.

Of course he bailed him/the club out. If Beattie had left at the time he did, without Weir’s gesture, the debt would have been over £1m and as chairman that would have been his responsibility. That is a big debt for a club our size. It’s clear there is a Beattie/Lowe (Weir) split with our supporters. Believe it or not I don’t care who runs our club as long as we are successful but while you and others appear to think Beattie is being painted badly, a lot of the fans that were drooling with excitement over Weir clearing all our debt and the club being debt free appear to have forgotten who was responsible for that. That’s my feelings on the subject. Time to move on. Last thing this thread needs is a WAT scenario!!

Edited by Sting777

29 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

People who revert to “that’s my feelings on the subject” despite being given repeated evidence to the contrary are what’s wrong with the world right now.

Maybe you can advise who set the “ we are keeping a Premiership playing budget despite being in the Championship” then jumped ship just as the heat was getting turned up on Archibald for some deplorable signings? Who wanted to keep Archibald after we were relegated? 

Edited by Sting777

Just now, Sting777 said:

Maybe you can advise who set the “ we are keeping a Premiership playing budget despite being in the Championship” then jumped ship just as the heat was getting turned up on Archibald?

Maybe you could just admit you made a c**t of it by making up that Beattie and co ran up the debt?

That's my feelings on the subject. Time to move on.

12 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Maybe you could just admit you made a c**t of it by making up that Beattie and co ran up the debt?

That's my feelings on the subject. Time to move on.

Thank f**k for that. Maybe, as above, you can advise who kept the budget at Premiership levels after getting relegated then walked out the door once he realised that 

1) He had made a complete arse of it and should have sacked Archie right after the Livi game

2) Archie had spent the Premiership budget on some of the worst players ever seen at the club 

Edited by Sting777

54 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Thank f**k for that. Maybe, as above, you can advise who kept the budget at Premiership levels after getting relegated then walked out the door once he realised that 

1) He had made a complete arse of it and should have sacked Archie right after the Livi game

2) Archie had spent the Premiership budget on some of the worst players ever seen at the club 

Who maintained that Premiership budget after Beattie left. Doubled down at Christmas and threw more money at a useless manager despite him making us worse. Who then had to make redundancies, despite having the power to reduce the budget in the previous 8 months she'd been in charge. 

2 hours ago, dave.j said:

Who maintained that Premiership budget after Beattie left. Doubled down at Christmas and threw more money at a useless manager despite him making us worse. Who then had to make redundancies, despite having the power to reduce the budget in the previous 8 months she'd been in charge. 

A fair chunk of money would also have been needed to pay off Archie, Paterson and a number of dud signings they made.

its a small point but the signings made in January for me were in the majority better than those that departed 

7 minutes ago, third lanark said:

A fair chunk of money would also have been needed to pay off Archie, Paterson and a number of dud signings they made.

its a small point but the signings made in January for me were in the majority better than those that departed 

Not entirely accurate but I get the point.

Which just backs up my point that Low & Brittons financial management if the club has been pretty horrific.

34 minutes ago, dave.j said:

Which just backs up my point that Low & Brittons financial management if the club has been pretty horrific.

I think that has been the suspicion from the fans for a while. And hopefully Britton will be next out the door.

1 hour ago, dave.j said:

The Q&A didn't really qualify or quantify that. The mystery £200k deficit could be down to the board restructuring the money received for Lindsay and Fitzpatrick doen to the payments received this season as opposed to those funds being made available in the previous board's 2 year plan?

18 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

The Q&A didn't really qualify or quantify that. The mystery £200k deficit could be down to the board restructuring the money received for Lindsay and Fitzpatrick doen to the payments received this season as opposed to those funds being made available in the previous board's 2 year plan?

Theres not a defect of 200k in either the playing budget or the club finances.

The 200k figure was given to the press by the internal source who said the new board had withheld 209k from Caldwells budget. The club stated they had not and intact Caldwell had spent all his budget. The 200k Figure is an additional amount supposedly given to Caldwell ontop of his spent budget.

But I get what you mean and I think I said that early. It would seem when we said we had a 2 year plan, what it actually meant was we are spending next years money now. On the hope of foing up. The new board have come in and said, not on your Nellie.

Which to me is quite a more sound way to manage your finances, takeover pending or not.

29 minutes ago, dave.j said:

Theres not a defect of 200k in either the playing budget or the club finances.

The 200k figure was given to the press by the internal source who said the new board had withheld 209k from Caldwells budget. The club stated they had not and intact Caldwell had spent all his budget. The 200k Figure is an additional amount supposedly given to Caldwell ontop of his spent budget.

But I get what you mean and I think I said that early. It would seem when we said we had a 2 year plan, what it actually meant was we are spending next years money now. On the hope of foing up. The new board have come in and said, not on your Nellie.

Which to me is quite a more sound way to manage your finances, takeover pending or not.

I'd agree with that. I think Beattie and Low are driving things too much for my liking. I'd like them to take a back seat.

If the takeover doesn't happen or any time soon the current board with possible backing from Colin Weir could be the next best option.