The Partick Thistle thread

5 minutes ago, third lanark said:

The old board promised him money from the sale of Lindsay and Fitzpatrick to sign 4 players. New board came in and said that money can’t be used for that now as there is a deficit with theib.

so technically it was the old board that had said he could use money from that and obviously he would not have known about the coup.

not sure if Gerry Britton falls under the group that said yes you can spend that money and now with the group that says no we need to plug the deficit or if his remit limited his involvement since he was CEO rather than board member 

What about his role of Club Secretary. 

2 minutes ago, third lanark said:

The old board promised him money from the sale of Lindsay and Fitzpatrick to sign 4 players. New board came in and said that money can’t be used for that now as there is a deficit with theib.

so technically it was the old board that had said he could use money from that and obviously he would not have known about the coup.

not sure if Gerry Britton falls under the group that said yes you can spend that money and now with the group that says no we need to plug the deficit or if his remit limited his involvement since he was CEO rather than board member 

Gerry confirmed they hoped to get 3/4 players in. I assume he is given the transfer budget and he liaises with the manager about targets and lets him know how much is left after signings. There is no doubt the old board were going to spend £200,000 on these players from the Lindsay/Fitzy sales. The shareholders have sacked them and used the money to clear deficits. Now I am not defending GC as I think he has signed a fair bit of dross but even a couple of players could change that squad into a Top 4 one given the league is pretty poor!

6 minutes ago, third lanark said:

So some of his budget was coming from Fitzy Lindsay money. Money not yet received. He spent all of that.

Then the old board promised him more of the money not yet received. Even though the mon playing side was running at a deficit!!! Thank god for Coups.

Makes you realise, when Low said we now run a two year budget strategy, what she probably meant was, we've spent money now, we wont actually be receiving for another 2 years!

2 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Gerry confirmed they hoped to get 3/4 players in. I assume he is given the transfer budget and he liaises with the manager about targets and lets him know how much is left after signings. There is no doubt the old board were going to spend £200,000 on these players from the Lindsay/Fitzy sales. The shareholders have sacked them and used the money to clear deficits. Now I am not defending GC as I think he has signed a fair bit of dross but even a couple of players could change that squad into a Top 4 one given the league is pretty poor!

But you can spend money that's not been received or would be better spent keeping us in business. 

2 minutes ago, dave.j said:

But you can spend money that's not been received or would be better spent keeping us in business. 

I assume you mean can’t, but yip I agree however it is hard on the manager if he has been told he can spend it then it’s suddenly withdrawn as the season starts. I am reliably informed Hall and Rudden were lined up and personally I thought those two could make a massive difference to our season. Sadly it’s not to be!!

30 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Now there's rumours of a Jaqui Low led takeover bid 😂😂😂

Honestly would anyone be shocked if Colin Weir fronted the money to buy Beattie etc out. He should have been given first option anyway. If he wasn’t interested the shareholders had every right to look elsewhere. What a shambles if this is true!!

Doubt the JL takeover rumour is true but an important part of Colin Weirs statement could be in the last three words!!

"Current uncertainties about its potential new ownership, combined with no substantive plan for the club's future and the instability caused by recent board changes, mean I feel unable to make any further investment in the club at this time," 

Edited by Sting777

Just noticed this from WAT...

There was an acknowledgement from the directors present that communication has been poor during this period. For example, the statement on the official site from the Board on the 11th of July states there were concerns over the direction of the club. Norman Springford stated several times there was no criticism of the previous Board and when asked about this statement said he did not know who put it out and if he had known about it he would not have signed off on it. A director of the club and he did not know about a statement on the club's website in the name of the directors - very strange.

🤔👀👀👀🤷‍♂️

I think the key thing to acknowledge is that we're fucked. Folk can apportion blame for this to Archibald, Caldwell, britton and both boards in whatever portion they like, but we are fucked. 

I had a reasonable amount of optimism for this season 8 days ago in terms of thinking we'd be more likely than not to finish top 4 based on the second half of last season and the idea of 3 or 4 more players coming in, but the insipid first 2 league games plus the off field stuff meaning this is the squad we're stuck with til January have absolutely scunnered me and I would take 8th now. 

We have 16 fit (well, available) senior players, 3 injured for weeks to come and f**k knows about this Aussie boy. 

If we've managed to spend the 3rd biggest budget in the league on this then that is a terrible recruitment period. 

1 hour ago, Sting777 said:

Honestly would anyone be shocked if Colin Weir fronted the money to buy Beattie etc out. He should have been given first option anyway. If he wasn’t interested the shareholders had every right to look elsewhere. What a shambles if this is true!!

It's like you've not read anything today. Under Low and Britton's stewardship we are seemingly running at a loss, the budget has been pissed up a wall on has beens and haddies. And they were going to give this idiot of a manager even more money we dont have, to spend.

And you wanted to give this circus first option to carry on doing what they were doing?

All because we were fed some bullshit line hes a lifelong fan?

f**k me!!! 

5 hours ago, dave.j said:

It's like you've not read anything today. Under Low and Britton's stewardship we are seemingly running at a loss, the budget has been pissed up a wall on has beens and haddies. And they were going to give this idiot of a manager even more money we dont have, to spend.

And you wanted to give this circus first option to carry on doing what they were doing?

All because we were fed some bullshit line hes a lifelong fan?

f**k me!!! 

I have read everything today. There are faults on both sides. Do you want to tell me what the club does if this takeover doesn’t place?? Beattie and Co want out. Not a lot of people out there wanting to invest in a small Glasgow football club. Who cleared the substantial debt that Beattie and Co ran up? Oh that’s right, it was Colin Weir!!! Maybe this will remind you that your “bullshit line he’s a lifelong fan” was used by Beattie when the Weirs put their hands in their pockets to clear the clubs debt run up by Beattie and the board. Maybe you could also enlighten us about who put Jacqui Lowe in charge. I don’t know,  but have to assume it was your man Beattie, along with the other shareholders!! If you know otherwise, please let us know!

Looks like you are the one with an agenda and a very short memory!!

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish-daily-mail/20151208/283347586122985

Edited by Sting777

2 hours ago, Sting777 said:

I have read everything today. There are faults on both sides. Do you want to tell me what the club does if this takeover doesn’t place?? Beattie and Co want out. Not a lot of people out there wanting to invest in a small Glasgow football club. Who cleared the substantial debt that Beattie and Co ran up? Oh that’s right, it was Colin Weir!!! Maybe this will remind you that your “bullshit line he’s a lifelong fan” was used by Beattie when the Weirs put their hands in their pockets to clear the clubs debt run up by Beattie and the board. Maybe you could also enlighten us about who put Jacqui Lowe in charge. I don’t know,  but have to assume it was your man Beattie, along with the other shareholders!! If you know otherwise, please let us know!

I've never said Beattie was blameless. 

You forgot he was also in charge when Britton was appointed  

4 hours ago, Sting777 said:

Feel free to elaborate on this substantial debt Beattie ran up.

Beattie was first appointed a director in 06/07 at which point the club owed the bank £1.35m and by the time Cowan and Hughes retired and left control of the club to Beattie and the other directors it was £1.41m. The club were losing around £200-£250k a year until Beattie and co took over, The year where they took over part way through the tax year the annual loss was reduced down to £117k and then after that the club largely ran a break even budget for the next few years.

I'm at a loss to work out exactly what you and others who have repeated the same think Beattie is responsible for here.